Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Help out Matt Barkley - who knew these existed in Buffalo?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Burn the house down!

 

 

Seven Hells!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamie Nails said:

It's a wolf spider. Not poisonous or harmful to humans, but you still don't want to get bit. The get pretty big and look ominous

 

Wolf spiders ARE venomous but not lethal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he rented Dareus’ house it’s probably left over from one of Marcel’s hallucinations.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever. I’d punch that spider right in the face. 

  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It's not a Brown Recluse, so there's nothing to worry about.

 

It doesn't look like a black widow either...there are black widows in WNY, but their reputation is far scarier than the effects of being bitten by one.  Sure, a little kid could get pretty sick/inflamed from a bite, but you almost certainly aren't going to die from it.

 

Ummmm, wrong about the Black Widows...at least the black widows we have in CA.  They bite and are quite venomous and my uncle was hospitalized 2 weeks and almost died off a bite on his hand.  Some people they bite can be less threatening and other it can be quite serious and even life threatening.

 

And that’s definitely not a black widow, which look nothing like that and are much smaller.  They are smooth with a sheen to them

Edited by Alphadawg7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

 

Ummmm, wrong about the Black Widows...at least the black widows we have in CA.  They bite and are quite venomous and my uncle was hospitalized 2 weeks and almost died off a bite on his hand.  Some people the bite can be less threatening and other it can be quite serious and even life threatening.

 

And that’s definitely not a black widow, which look nothing like that and are much smaller.  They are smooth with a sheen to them

 

Right...like I said, it didn't look like one.

 

I find the info about your uncle interesting...I know that, according to the CDC, less than 10% of black widow bites require hospitalization.  Was your uncle in bad health prior to being bitten?  Either way, hope he's doing well now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Right...like I said, it didn't look like one.

 

I find the info about your uncle interesting...I know that, according to the CDC, less than 10% of black widow bites require hospitalization.  Was your uncle in bad health prior to being bitten?  Either way, hope he's doing well now.

 

I think it depends on the person.  Even healthy adults have had bad reactions because they may be more sensitive to the venom.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gobillsinytown said:

 

I think it depends on the person.  Even healthy adults have had bad reactions because they may be more sensitive to the venom.  

Yes, the vitriol and venom around here can be off putting...😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

We found one of these nasty ****ers the other day as well. Glad to know we weren't the only ones dealing with these things. Cuz then i'd really be worried these spiders were singling us out haha.

Just a sign of spring. These creepy crawlers start coming alive, so make sure to lay the law down so they get the message!

You live in Buffalo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You live in Buffalo?

Yep, North Buffalo/Kenmore atm. You wouldn't really expect these things around the city until you remember spiders are everywhere.

The big ones don't really bother me, they're actually pretty cool. Its the one's you can't see that get under my skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RiotAct said:

::shudder::

 

 I’d probably run out of my house screaming like a 5-year-old girl 

 

Isn’t this just a normal daily event for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Right...like I said, it didn't look like one.

 

I find the info about your uncle interesting...I know that, according to the CDC, less than 10% of black widow bites require hospitalization.  Was your uncle in bad health prior to being bitten?  Either way, hope he's doing well now.

 

This was 25 years ago, yeah he recovered.  But was hospitalized for 2 weeks and was life threatening.  He was walking through an alfalfa field and his hands were hitting the tops of the alfalfa and he pulled his hand up and had a black widow on it and it bit him.  

 

Also, only the females bites are dangerous, so many black widow bites are not a big deal if it was from a male.  It is substantially more venomous than a rattle snake, although a rattlesnake bite injects significantly more venom into the body and is more threatening to humans as a result.  Younger and older people are more vulnerable to serious effect.  That may have been why my Uncle was so affected as he was in I think his mid to late 40's at the time of the bite.  There are also different species of black widow, some more threatening than others.  They are not "aggressive" but become aggressive if disturbed.  

 

The only reason I know this much is about 4 months ago out of now where, I got a massive black widow invasion literally over night.  Never seen anything like it.  I live beachfront in LA, and I am the last house on my beachfront street.  So my patio on the south side of my house runs about 6 feet away from my house and all the way to my driveway to separate my property from the bike path.  Its about 30 yards long I would guess.  Went to walk my dogs one night and I had about 20 black widows along that wall every couple feet all the way to my patio.  Killed them all with poison, came out the next night and over 20 again in similar places.  Killed them all and every night more would be back, just from that point on it was less each night.  Finally after a couple weeks I stopped finding them other than one once in a while.  Been here 10 years today to be exact, and never once had anything remotely close to that happen.  And they were just right in the open...its a cinderblock wall and a concrete patio.  Just webbed in some flower pots or from the wall to the concrete.  

 

And yeah, I know you said it didn't look like one, I was just agreeing with you on that and was just sharing for others what a black widow looks like as they are common here in CA.  Have no idea how often you see them in B-lo.  

 

Brown Recluse are definitely worse though, I know people in Vegas who have had big problems with them.  Major rule there is if you see one NEVER step on it.  They carry their young on the their belly so squishing it just makes them spread out and run.  Always use poison spray.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

It's a wolf spider. Not poisonous or harmful to humans, but you still don't want to get bit. The get pretty big and look ominous

 

 

Well that settles it then:

 

"Hey Matt - pummel him to a pulp with your ballbag!"

Edited by SydneyBillsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

This was 25 years ago, yeah he recovered.  But was hospitalized for 2 weeks and was life threatening.  He was walking through an alfalfa field and his hands were hitting the tops of the alfalfa and he pulled his hand up and had a black widow on it and it bit him.  

 

Also, only the females bites are dangerous, so many black widow bites are not a big deal if it was from a male.  It is substantially more venomous than a rattle snake, although a rattlesnake bite injects significantly more venom into the body and is more threatening to humans as a result.  Younger and older people are more vulnerable to serious effect.  That may have been why my Uncle was so affected as he was in I think his mid to late 40's at the time of the bite.  There are also different species of black widow, some more threatening than others.  They are not "aggressive" but become aggressive if disturbed.  

 

The only reason I know this much is about 4 months ago out of now where, I got a massive black widow invasion literally over night.  Never seen anything like it.  I live beachfront in LA, and I am the last house on my beachfront street.  So my patio on the south side of my house runs about 6 feet away from my house and all the way to my driveway to separate my property from the bike path.  Its about 30 yards long I would guess.  Went to walk my dogs one night and I had about 20 black widows along that wall every couple feet all the way to my patio.  Killed them all with poison, came out the next night and over 20 again in similar places.  Killed them all and every night more would be back, just from that point on it was less each night.  Finally after a couple weeks I stopped finding them other than one once in a while.  Been here 10 years today to be exact, and never once had anything remotely close to that happen.  And they were just right in the open...its a cinderblock wall and a concrete patio.  Just webbed in some flower pots or from the wall to the concrete.  

 

And yeah, I know you said it didn't look like one, I was just agreeing with you on that and was just sharing for others what a black widow looks like as they are common here in CA.  Have no idea how often you see them in B-lo.  

 

Brown Recluse are definitely worse though, I know people in Vegas who have had big problems with them.  Major rule there is if you see one NEVER step on it.  They carry their young on the their belly so squishing it just makes them spread out and run.  Always use poison spray.  

 

I've seen widows around WNY, but it's pretty rare.  I mean, they're pretty skittish (as I'm sure you know), so they don't show up often.

 

Not sure how I'd feel about seeing hundreds of them at a time though--I used to own tarantulas, so I'm cool with spiders, but dang, that would bother me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s good to know it’s not harmful. Looks scary as hell. I always thought these huge spiders were in places like Texas 

 

Yep, that’s a wolf spider. Live in OP and have killed a couple of them. They are nasty! They live on the ground and are nocturnal hunters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...