#TBT 1964 AFL Title Game

Great find! I remember watching the game on my black-and-white TV in my home in  Niagara Falls when I was 11 years old. The Stratton hit on Keith Lincoln is great to watch to this day. I also believe the 1965 championship team would’ve beaten Green Bay if they had a Super Bowl one year earlier 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll go to my grave believing this team would beat Cleveland, if the Super Bowl started 2 years earlier.

20 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Thanks for posting, was living in CA at the time. Cool

4 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Great find! I remember watching the game on my black-and-white TV in my home in  Niagara Falls when I was 11 years old. The Stratton hit on Keith Lincoln is great to watch to this day. I also believe the 1965 championship team would’ve beaten Green Bay if they had a Super Bowl one year earlier 

I remember it like it was yesterday!

No, not really.  I'm not a relic like you guys.  Holy *****, you're old!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

That, im not so sure of. We lost Cookie in an off season trade to Denver and lost Dubenion & Bass to season ending injuries. Our defense was still spectacular, but the ‘65 Packers were on a serious roll that saw them win 3 NFL titles in a row.  We were good enough to whoop the Chargers in their stadium for the title though.

(Spoiler alert: I’ll post that game tomorrow)

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I remember it like it was yesterday!

No, not really.  I'm not a relic like you guys.  Holy *****, you're old!!!

Get off my grass ya punkazz whippersnapper!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It’s so much more fun when you can recognize the players in the pre game warmups like Duby, Rutkowski and Gogolak. Ron Mix taking out Tom Sestak. Cookie, Tobin Rote, Lowe and Lincoln. Everyone remembers Stratton’s hit but I totally forgot his interception. For once I was glad I was old so that I could remember being there.

And guess how much those field level end zone seats were in those days for us that were under 16 at the time?        $ 1.00. !!!    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, custcarcen said:

It’s so much more fun when you can recognize the players in the pre game warmups like Duby, Rutkowski and Gogolak. Ron Mix taking out Tom Sestak. Cookie, Tobin Rote, Lowe and Lincoln. Everyone remembers Stratton’s hit but I totally forgot his interception. For once I was glad I was old so that I could remember being there.

And guess how much those field level end zone seats were in those days for us that were under 16 at the time?        $ 1.00. !!!    

Great post! We took out both their QBs, Tobin Rote & John Hadl and their RB, Keith Lincoln. Byrd was a rookie that year and had 2 INTs in the game. I enjoyed seeing John Tracy make a lot of sure tackles in this game. He, along with Charlie Warner seem to be the forgotten men of that defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for posting, Chandler!  I agree with you - that was a formidable team.  Great defense.  I was at the game (yes I am old, but only 8 at the time). It forever solidified my love of the Bills.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Would have beat Cleveland if not for Ronnie Harmon too.

so there aren't people around still belligerently 100% blaming Jim Kelly for that?

thankfully youtube gave us the goods to watch when we want....

I miss Charlie Jones and Merlin Olsen

I was at that game and remember that you actually heard Stratton's hit on Lincoln, then the crowd's collective "ohhhhh" and then that momentary silence as he laid on the ground. 

Was awesome!

And I agree that the '64 team probably would have beaten ANY NFL team that season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For as comical and colorful as Maguire was and a must see TV personality, he was a Helluva punter, STs demon and decent LB depth. Rauch hated him and kicked him and many others to the curb, in what would be our 1st Dark Age..

57 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

For as comical and colorful as Maguire was and a must see TV personality, he was a Helluva punter, STs demon and decent LB depth. Rauch hated him and kicked him and many others to the curb, in what would be our 1st Dark Age..

Wow you ain't kidding... That looked like about a 65 yard, coffin corner punt to seal the game

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Look how awful that field looked ... :lol: can you imagine players today whining about the conditions. 

Ha! This was December 26, ‘64. The Rockpile field wasn’t a whole lot better in September..

But snow games there were Can’t Miss Events!

On 4/4/2019 at 5:03 PM, Chandler#81 said:

I’ll go to my grave believing this team would beat Cleveland, if the Super Bowl started 2 years earlier.

Believe it. I've been convinced of that too ever since that game was played. Bills had a defense that just flat out got after people.     Go Bills & the AFL.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Cleveland went back to back title games as well, though lost to Green Bay. They held Jimmy Brown to just 50 yrds of offense. Then the Pack won twice more, beating Dallas back to back for 3 straight, Football immortality and the coach’s name on the Super Bowl trophy..