Most underrated RB

Tcali

6 hours ago, Tcali said:

I'll start with a few here for various reasons.

1.Freeman McNeil--fast  RB with great moves.--But so often injured.Tremendous talent.

2.Wendell Tyler-explosive runner .Bill Walsh couldnt stand fumbling--and Tyler did that not much but occasionally.

3.Fred Jackson--How stupid was it that this guy didnt come into the NFL til he was 27?..While not spectacular he was fast, powerful,fundamentally sound(always found the holes and always fell forward for yardage),and great blocker.

I gotta say Freddy haha if he had a chance to start from his early 20s he would have probably gotten a ring somewhere 

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Jerome Bettis is another back who is in the Hall but never gets mentioned in the pantheon of greats like Sanders, Emmitt, Gayle, Walter, Dickenson, Brown but his numbers are right there with all of them and that guy was just a fun back to watch play.  For a man that big and powerful he was incredibly nimble.  I always liked watching the Bus.

Excuse me, but this is the underrated thread...3.9 ypc, never one of the top backs in the league, media darling...there are very good reasons Bettis “never gets mentioned in the pantheon of greats”.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Edge James finished his career in the top ten all time when he retired. 

Corey Dillion ran for over 11,000 yds but most of his prime hidden away on awful cincy teams. 

And has their ever been a more underrated back than Fred Taylor?  Guy had 7 different 1,100 yd+ rushing seasons and only was voted into the pro bowl ONCE. He ran for 1500 one year and didn’t even get the nod. 

Hard not to put Steven Jackson in there as well. 

Honorable mentions... Rodney Hampton only played 8 years in the 90’s but had 5 straight 1000 yd seasons. And Brian Westbrook had over 10,000 scrimmage yds and 71 td in only 9 season. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Edge James finished his career in the top ten all time when he retired. 

Corey Dillion ran for over 11,000 yds but most of his prime hidden away on awful cincy teams. 

And has their ever been a more underrated back than Fred Taylor? 

Hard not to put Steven Jackson in there as well. 

Honorable mentions... Rodney Hampton only played 8 years in the 90’s but had 5 straight 1000 yd seasons. And Brian Westbrook had over 10,000 scrimmage yds and 71 td in only 9 season. 

Westbrook was a great player. Forgot him 

7 hours ago, Tcali said:

I'll start with a few here for various reasons.

1.Freeman McNeil--fast  RB with great moves.--But so often injured.Tremendous talent.

2.Wendell Tyler-explosive runner .Bill Walsh couldnt stand fumbling--and Tyler did that not much but occasionally.

3.Fred Jackson--How stupid was it that this guy didnt come into the NFL til he was 27?..While not spectacular he was fast, powerful,fundamentally sound(always found the holes and always fell forward for yardage),and great blocker.

i'm curious what the stat is on fred converting 3rd downs to 1st downs.  whenever it was 3rd and short to 3rd and 5 or even 6, i used to always say(to the tv), don't do anything stupid just give the ball to fred. it was like a guaranteed 1st down.

6 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

What about:

Larry Csonka

Floyd Little

LeRoy Kelly

Jim Taylor

OJ Anderson

Uh.... 4 of those 5 are in the hall. I’d say they got their due. Haha. 

i mean you aren’t gonna get a ton of discussion in general now days about HOF’rs from the 60’s and early 70’s. 

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Uh.... 4 of those 5 are in the hall. I’d say they got their due. Haha. 

i mean you aren’t gonna get a ton of discussion in general now days about HOF’rs from the 60’s and early 70’s. 

Yet OJ and Jim Brown have dominated this threads discussion. 

Christian Okoye, the Nigerian Nightmare. Always loved watching this giant play. He was more like WWF character than a RB. 

I hadn't really heard his name mentioned for years and then suddenly they made a Football Life episode about him, which was cool. 

Always liked Barry Foster as well, and our own high stepping Kenny Davis. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

What about:

Larry Csonka

Floyd Little

LeRoy Kelly

Jim Taylor

OJ Anderson

First six years Anderson was not underrated. Top 10 pick out of college, (5) 1000 yard seasons, and nearly 600 the other when he missed half the season. OROY in 79. But he played so long he did become underrated. Certainly the Bills underrated him in SB XXV as he was MVP for the game. I remember his saying in an interview in the 90's, when he was going by Ottis, that some rookie told him his father played with O J Anderson in the 70's and wondered if he was related.?

Edited by Steve O