Will Wolford: 1986 Bills Tanked in Week 9 To Get Hank Bullough Fired

12 hours ago, FLFan said:

Yes, the drought was sole draining, but I have heard many people around here describe Bills teams during that time, including last year, in ways that would indicate some horror show.  My response - not even close.  The only team I have seen perform worse over the last 30 years is the Browns under Hue Jackson.  Talk about sole draining.  ?

Unless you have had needles inserted into the sole of your foot to had water drained you have not felt sole draining.

• Haha (+1) 2

1). Not sure that I believe the narrative about tanking. Kelly played his heart out and team nearly won at the end. In fact, that was the first game I began to think the the Bills were getting better. 

2). Bullough was a true moron. He once said on TV "Well, that's just spilled milk over the dam". And during a draft discussion (in reference to Napolean MacCallum), " well, we're looking at that Bonaparte guy from Navy". 

"We keep beating ourselves, but we're getting better at it..."

Kelly must not have got that message--threw 3 TDs, 300+ yards, 126 passer rating.   Three fumbles lost and 12 penalties was what killed them...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198611020tam.htm

Team Stats 

BUF TAM
First Downs 23 20
Rush-Yds-TDs 19-79-0 32-135-3
Cmp-Att-Yd-TD-INT 29-39-342-3-0 14-24-193-0-0
Sacked-Yards 1-18 3-22
Net Pass Yards 324 171
Total Yards 403 306
Fumbles-Lost 4-3 1-0
Turnovers 3 0
Penalties-Yards 12-102 8-102
Time of Possession 27:48 32:12

Edited by Lurker

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:11 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Dispelling this narrative -which I’ve heard before, is the way the game WAS played, and I remember it well. We were certainly the underdogs, but we played with a heart and determination not seen in a few years. ‘86 was the USFL’s (Trump?) gift to pro football with the influx of star talent which had abandoned the League. With virtually no fanfare, Kent Hull, Tremaine Johnson, Scott Norwood and a couple defensive stars (Radicik, Kelso) also joined the Bills from the USFL ashes. 

Simply put, the game was fascinating! Kelly was already entrenched as “God” after the Opener vs NYJ and jaw-dropping passes @ Cinci. Robb Riddick was a stud RB, starting for an injured Greg Bell, despite breaking his left arm a week earlier. He played with a full cast on it, yet ran with authority and even caught passes! Crazy turnovers, ping pong ball passes and special teams plays hi-lighted an unexpected chance for a road victory. The game came down to the last drive, trailing by 4. Kelly would foretell the next 9 seasons by taking the opportunity and seizing the moment, virtually willing the team down the field as the clocked ticked away. WNY was on their toes, fingers crossed and oblivious to the world around them as we watched “God” perform like nothing we’d ever seen before. Final play, 2 seconds left, we’re at the TB 4 yard line. Kelly -under immediate duress- stood tall and slung a laser to Riddick just inside the goal line..

the ball bounced off his cast, incomplete.

Kelly lay prone, face down at the 6 yard line for what seemed an eternity. Crushing!

So, to the OP’s retelling of the oft heard narrative, regardless of veteran threats, the New Bills team fought like hell to win this and every game they played for the next decade plus. That we beat the Steelers in our next game (with Levy as new HC) wasn’t as shocking as the pundits claimed and had little to do with Marv. A new team was born that year.

Robb is one of may all time favorites.  I remember Kelly complaining about the "drop" afterward.  He had 7 catches for 50 yards that game but catching a ball above your head with an arm cast where you can't trap it with your body is near impossible.  I hope Robb is ok.  The way he played he'd be a prime CTE candidate.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills lost that game when a Kelly pass bounced off Rob Riddick’s hands in the endzone.....Riddick was wearing a cast. If my mind serves me correctly, the Bills came back from a decent margin in that game so I do have to question the tank theory/story.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The Bills lost that game when a Kelly pass bounced off Rob Riddick’s hands in the endzone.....Riddick was wearing a cast. If my mind serves me correctly, the Bills came back from a decent margin in that game so I do have to question the tank theory/story.

You are correct.  They were down 20-0 in the first half, 27-14 in the third and 34-21 in the fourth quarter.    

Scoring

Quarter Tm Detail BUF TAM
1 Buccaneers Donald Igwebuike 49 yard field goal 0 3
  Buccaneers Pat Franklin special teams fumble recovery in end zone (Donald Igwebuike kick) 0 10
2 Buccaneers Donald Igwebuike 26 yard field goal 0 13
  Buccaneers Steve Young 2 yard rush (Donald Igwebuike kick) 0 20
3 Bills Pete Metzelaars 1 yard pass from Jim Kelly (Scott Norwood kick) 7 20
  Bills Pete Metzelaars 44 yard pass from Jim Kelly (Scott Norwood kick) 14 20
4 Buccaneers Steve Young 1 yard rush (Donald Igwebuike kick) 14 27
  Bills Ron Pitts 49 yard punt return (Scott Norwood kick) 21 27
  Buccaneers James Wilder 45 yard rush (Donald Igwebuike kick) 21 34
  Bills Jerry Butler 9 yard pass from Jim Kelly (Scott Norwood kick) 28 34
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/30/2019 at 5:33 AM, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Didn’t he also say something like “putting a sweater over their head” instead of “pulling the wool over their eyes”?

Sounds like something he’d say, for sure. 

23 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

1). Not sure that I believe the narrative about tanking. Kelly played his heart out and team nearly won at the end. In fact, that was the first game I began to think the the Bills were getting better. 

2). Bullough was a true moron. He once said on TV "Well, that's just spilled milk over the dam". And during a draft discussion (in reference to Napolean MacCallum), " well, we're looking at that Bonaparte guy from Navy". 

If Bullough had been a winner, his malapropisms would have been embraced as much as Yogi Berra’s were. Moron or not, some of them were funny. 

On 3/29/2019 at 9:21 PM, mattynh said:

I think that was the game Bruce Smith told the defenders if they tackled anyone that he would kick their ass. 

It was exactly that! 

What a lot of people forget is how much of a hard time Bullough gave Bruce his first year with Buffalo. Bruce had some poor training habits which limited his effectiveness in his first season. Bullough rode Bruce hard that first season and was always yelling at him and needless to say, Bruce probably hated him for it.

Not sure how or why and perhaps it was Bullough's riding him hard, Smith worked like a mad man to get into shape after that first season. I can recall stories of him wearing out exercise bikes and causing them to rust from all the sweat. After that, he quickly became a sack master.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:48 PM, bilzfancy said:

The Bills were so bad in those days, I had seasons and sometimes there would be 20,000 fans at the stadium, and Bullough was the reason why, maybe the worst HC the Bills ever had, so I can definitely believe this. 

Easily less than a third were there to start most fourth quarters

remember when it rolls bray on and on how the Bills fans never fail to support the team

and I don’t blame all those who couldn’t be bothered for those 2 to 4 win seasons

On 3/30/2019 at 4:36 AM, 298Woody said:

Hank was brutal to Bruce Smith when he was here, I remember quotes about how fat and out of shape he was. I don't know if it because of him but Smith turned it around and became a beast and never looked back. He probably hated Hank but maybe should thank him as well.

even when bruce was 'fat'his talent shone thru. supernatural talent.

On 3/30/2019 at 4:56 AM, machine gun kelly said:

As I’m reading this thread, I was thinking the same.  Who cares though?  It was in the 80’s and Ralph made the biggest mistake not staying out of the way of Knox.  He turned this team around and won against the Dolphins for the first time in 10 years and had a terrific resume turning around the Rams.

Then Mr. Wilson in his infinite wisdom fires the best coach we had since Saban.  

Ralph........and people defend him by saying he kept the Bills in Buffalo.He didnt..at least not because he was a good guy. The Bills were close to him .He could get here on his private jet in 40 minutes.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:46 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

It was the defense that really disliked him.  Talley is another that felt that way.   I think Hank told him he couldn't play in so many words and he did not take to the criticism well.  I don't know that I ever heard an offensive guy say anything bad about him so maybe he did not interact with them much.  It's one thing to challenge your team but it's another to loose their respect and then openly mock you.

I remember his son Chuck played at OP high school before going on to Michigan State where Hank had played.  Lots of the Bullough family have played there since.