Robin Lehner on playing in Buffalo & Buffalo Fans

Reed83HOF

13 minutes ago, klos63 said:

apparently, not anymore.  And i doubt it was your intent to mock, but he did have actual, serious mental issues while here.

Sounds reasonable

He had issues long before he arrived in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Your correct he did go a season without a win in a SO but he must have got lucky at least ona save.

i don't think he did.  He was 0-8 in 2016/17. Interestingly - he saved 20 of 30 with Ottawa in 2013/14

Edited by klos63

43 minutes ago, klos63 said:

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Also, I think he had those issues before Buffalo and don't recall him ever placing blame on anyone.

I’m just pushing back on the sentiment that Buffalo is a lousy negative place to live and play.

Lehner had anxiety, depression, and addiction issues in season while here. The franchise supported him during it. I’m sorry that all these years of being in the basement have led to some overly negative fans, but I think the comments now are in poor taste. Glad you’re doing well, but I would say your situation at the time would make any city seem lousy.

The Toronto media is the most buttkissing non-stressing bunch in history.

they don't do ANYTHING AT ALL to get a story more involved than what i could derive from watching the game or reading the box score

the belief they have any negative effect is a complete myth

driving back to the hotel from a Washington Nats game, the press asked the manager 10 good questions about his thinking and strategy in a tough loss, if a Toronto coach faced even one of them he would have been shocked and maybe fainted from the pressure of a real question

3 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

I’m just pushing back on the sentiment that Buffalo is a lousy negative place to live and play.

Lehner had anxiety, depression, and addiction issues in season while here. The franchise supported him during it. I’m sorry that all these years of being in the basement have led to some overly negative fans, but I think the comments now are in poor taste. Glad you’re doing well, but I would say your situation at the time would make any city seem lousy.

there just isn't a lot of success in Buffalo. The Sabres will be approaching 50 years in the league with no Championship. The Bills over 50 years since the merger with no championships.  And with both teams, they each had a couple brief moments where they were serious contenders, but for the better part of 50 years they were an afterthought. I don't know the reason, but it might be a nice place to live, but maybe not the best place to play.

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

there just isn't a lot of success in Buffalo. The Sabres will be approaching 50 years in the league with no Championship. The Bills over 50 years since the merger with no championships.  And with both teams, they each had a couple brief moments where they were serious contenders, but for the better part of 50 years they were an afterthought. I don't know the reason, but it might be a nice place to live, but maybe not the best place to play.

I understand the lack of success, my issue is specifically with Lehner’s comments on a negative atmosphere and culture leading to his poor play.

I would argue substance abuse in season likely had a greater effect on his poor play than some negative fans and media. I’m glad to see he is seemingly doing better, but his comments lack self awareness.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres “atmosphere” was very positive upon its inception and the winning came fast.  The Knox’s were great owners and widely respected. Buffalo Sabres culture was established as a great one. Imlach and Bowman would not have gone to Buffalo otherwise.  Sellouts were the norm. The fans had a love affair with the players that still is there today.  

Regis, Golisano - each had issues but both won and had some success and thing stayed positive for the most part.  

The Sabres had a very high winning percentage going into the Pegula years.  No Cups, but mostly winning seasons and many star players.  

Pegula’s are very nice people but their teams are just a calamity.  The money wasted on mediocre free agents, firing Lindy and keeping Darcy.   The Ted Black, Pat LaFontaine, etc., sideshow.  I saw and felt  the  “bad atmosphere“ the minute I saw GMTM in action.  The arena has become a run down morgue in comparison to others.   There are continues firings in the PSE management structure.  

I get what Lehner is saying about the atmosphere being bad.  It was and probably still is.   I also think that Lehner played his part in the bad atmosphere and the losing culture.  He had a role in it.  His did not prepare and play like a true professional.  He did not hold up his end of the contract.  He hid his illness and he hurt the team.   By his own admission he played and practiced drunk and did not fully support  the cause.  I feel for him and many of us do.  He has a serious illness.  Still, Lehner is accountable for some if that atmosphere.  He was a key contributor.  

We can talk about Kane, ROR, Jack, and Sam too.   We will nevet know what really goes on there, but whatever it is it is not good.  

The atmosphere can only be a sum of the parts that it is composed off.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

i have many friends in NYC who are as passionate about sports as any of us are.

I'm not questioning their dedication. I just think the hockey teams rank below the giants, Yankees, jets, Knicks and maybe even the Mets in terms of media scrutiny. I can't stand him but does Francesca ever talk hockey? Or his former partner? Stephen A? I just think the local and national draw of those deluded hockeys coverage in that market. I know they have passionate fans but isn't the thing some guys don't like in buffalo is how everyone knows the hockey players and recognizes them in public. Where as in NYC, NJ, philly and other bigger markets they can remain relatively anonymous. Didnt Briere or Drury say something along those lines?

Not questioning their dedication, it's just Hockey is almost king and competes with an NFL team in terms of local attention in Buffalo. That's a rarity in American markets. I hear Boston is a hockey town but I struggle to believe it reigns over the Celtics, red Sox, and Patriots.

Again, I don't really think his comments mean much. I can see his perspective. Like you said earlier, I think getting mad or upset over them isn't the way for buffalo fans to go.

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

The Sabres “atmosphere” was very positive upon its inception and the winning came fast.  The Knox’s were great owners and widely respected. Buffalo Sabres culture was established as a great one. Imlach and Bowman would not have gone to Buffalo otherwise.  Sellouts were the norm. The fans had a love affair with the players that still is there today.  

Regis, Golisano - each had issues but both won and had some success and thing stayed positive for the most part.  

The Sabres had a very high winning percentage going into the Pegula years.  No Cups, but mostly winning seasons and many star players.  

Pegula’s are very nice people but their teams are just a calamity.  The money wasted on mediocre free agents, firing Lindy and keeping Darcy.   The Ted Black, Pat LaFontaine, etc., sideshow.  I saw and felt  the  “bad atmosphere“ the minute I saw GMTM in action.  The arena has become a run down morgue in comparison to others.   There are continues firings in the PSE management structure.  

I get what Lehner is saying about the atmosphere being bad.  It was and probably still is.   I also think that Lehner played his part in the bad atmosphere and the losing culture.  He had a role in it.  His did not prepare and play like a true professional.  He did not hold up his end of the contract.  He hid his illness and he hurt the team.   By his own admission he played and practiced drunk and did not fully support  the cause.  I feel for him and many of us do.  He has a serious illness.  Still, Lehner is accountable for some if that atmosphere.  He was a key contributor.  

We can talk about Kane, ROR, Jack, and Sam too.   We will nevet know what really goes on there, but whatever it is it is not good.  

The atmosphere can only be a sum of the parts that it is composed off.  

You hit on the head here. The first paragraph was right on

4 hours ago, Rockpile233 said:

I understand the lack of success, my issue is specifically with Lehner’s comments on a negative atmosphere and culture leading to his poor play.

I would argue substance abuse in season likely had a greater effect on his poor play than some negative fans and media. I’m glad to see he is seemingly doing better, but his comments lack self awareness.

I'm an Islander fan and wonder whether his perception of Buffalo negativity is influenced by the self-admitted substance-abuse/bipolar/depression issues that he was dealing with in Buffalo. The Newsday article presents him in a different mind frame than his post to The Athletic.

Not a Sabres fan but didn't this clown show up fat and out of shape to TC?

Then he pulled his groin because of it?

He  sucked last year and it was a good move to dump him.

Edited by JMF2006