Will The Pegulas Decision On Phil Housley Foreshadow the Future Of Beane and McDermott?

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Continuity" is important to Pegula, huh..?

Remember when he said this?:

We’re talking about continuity, and the players need that,” Pegula said. “Our coach needs to know that, through the good and the bad, there’s stability. The players need to know there’s stability. And by the way, that doesn’t help our players any to start reading that their coach is going to get fired.”

That was just weeks before he fired Rex.

And the Sabres have simply quit with 6 games left.  It's been a disaster since Pegula Day 1 for that sad franchise.

This is interesting.  We’ll see what Terry does but my instinct based on his comments are that Phil is staying.  

28 minutes ago, ganesh said:

If only he could have fixed the Defense...And we still have Lynch and Jackson and yet we drafted Spiller!!!! 

So true and so stupid! The team was desperate for a LT and the team drafts a "water-bug" RB with that #9 overall. 

It wasn't just the defense as that first season (2010) the offense was slightly worse 4-12. The next season the offense was 14th with Fitz throwing 24 TDs, 23 INTs and Fred Jackson the leading rusher with 934 yards, Spiller with 561 yards. 2012 saw Gailey go 6-10 again with a 20th ranked offense, 26th ranked defense.

Meanwhile, in Seattle Lynch had 1204 yards rushing with 12 TDs. In 2012 Lynch had 1590 rushing yards, 11 TDs. 

There is a reason Chan Gailey has been out of the NFL for two years, going on three. 

13 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Pro sports is a performance based business and if a player can't do his job he is replaced. Why shouldn't the HC, GM or assistant coach get the same?

After last years draft/ FA Beane isn't going anywhere! McD OTOH needs to have a winning season to at least 8-8, 9-7 or better.  

Not it is not that simple.  

You have to consider the context here.  There are few coaches in the NFL that allegedly have as much power as Sean mcDermott does in Buffalo.  Keep in mind that since his hire he made huge changes on the field but also in the organization.  This included the removal of long time employees and possibly even the firing/hiring of a new GM.  

He has a lot of power at OBD, and I don’t think his situation is unique.  Bills could have another 6-10 year....he’s coming back in 2020 guaranteed.  Maybe even 2021

32 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Not really considering that after winning 10 games in a row, they appeared to be making progress and had fans talking playoffs for the first time in years.  I wouldn’t say it’s a complete regression because they did get hot this year.

It did?  Because I felt the opposite?  It sounded like Terry was making every excuse for Housley.  I think he’s staying 

Yup.  There was a lot of "Bots said he's safe, but we'll evaluate everything."  JMO.  

If we regress to 4 wins then they should be under the gun. If we continue to improve in results and consistency they won't. I have to imagine that the Pegula's are happy with how tings are going with the Bills. There's a plan, and things are going to plan, maybe with better than expected results. 

• Like (+1) 1

The question should be if the Bills win the division should Beane & McDermott get 10 year extensions, not some question that asks what if they go 4-12 or 5-11.  Unless the team bus crashes into a ravine there's no way the same team that went 6-10 and has had massive offseason upgrades, a QB with a year of experience & gets an easier schedule will win fewer games than last season. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m trying to think of a coach in the last 30 years who lost more games than the previous season for two seasons in a row and still turned the franchise into a winner. I can’t. Maybe someone can provide an example, but if the Bills are worse than 6-10 next season then I’d say the chances that mcDermott turns it around are minuscule.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1

Barring a really bad collapse, see them making it at least to 2020,  if then were real bad the next two years, can see McD getting fired, but GM's often get to go through two coaches, so could see Beane still hanging on and hiring another coach.  Worst case Allan's a failure so the team is also terrible, but if you fire him for that, you better plan to fire many others too as the success rate for QB's is less than 50/50 to begin with.

I don't think the Sabres have anything to do with the Bills. And I think that no matter the record this year, McDermott and company will get at least one more year, unless it is just truly an epically bad season (only 1 or 2 wins and Josh Allen is the worst QB in the league).

I think 2020 is judgement year. If we don't make the playoffs again by the end of that season I think they get the axe.

I know fans get impatient but I personally think the current Bills regime has the team on the right track and I want to be absolutely sure before firing them and tearing everything down again.

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Barring a really bad collapse, see them making it at least to 2020,  if then were real bad the next two years, can see McD getting fired, but GM's often get to go through two coaches, so could see Beane still hanging on and hiring another coach.  Worst case Allan's a failure so the team is also terrible, but if you fire him for that, you better plan to fire many others too as the success rate for QB's is less than 50/50 to begin with.

The difference is....most coaches don’t get any input who the GM is.  I am telling you McDermott’s situation in the NFL is pretty unique.

3 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Listening to Kim and Terry at the owners meetings was interesting.  Despite it being an NFL owners meeting, the majority of questions were Buffalo Sabres related.  Specifically wondering how Terry and Kim will respond to a team with promise that currently is in a free fall.  Many fans are calling for the head of Phil Housley and given how the team has played over the past few months, it tough to suggest otherwise.  

A topic that has been discussed in here has been the overall security of Beane and McDermott and the amount of pressure (or lack thereof) they are under to win.  

It made me wonder how they’ll respond if the Bills take another step back record wise.  Let’s say they go 5-11 or 4-12.  Does it mean that McDermott and/or Beane will be axed it that they’ll be under the gun in 2020?

With the additions made prior to the draft, Allen second year, Edmunds second year, then the draft a slide back means that they should be on the hot seat.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Not really considering that after winning 10 games in a row, they appeared to be making progress and had fans talking playoffs for the first time in years.  I wouldn’t say it’s a complete regression because they did get hot this year.

It did?  Because I felt the opposite?  It sounded like Terry was making every excuse for Housley.  I think he’s staying 

If Housley stays, and I don't believe he will, Terry shouldn't wonder why season ticket orders and attendance decrease.  The only cover for Phil in that instance will be if Botterill works some excitement-generating miracles, which I don't believe he will as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Not it is not that simple.  

You have to consider the context here.  There are few coaches in the NFL that allegedly have as much power as Sean mcDermott does in Buffalo.  Keep in mind that since his hire he made huge changes on the field but also in the organization.  This included the removal of long time employees and possibly even the firing/hiring of a new GM.  

He has a lot of power at OBD, and I don’t think his situation is unique.  Bills could have another 6-10 year....he’s coming back in 2020 guaranteed.  Maybe even 2021

While I agree that McD has/had a lot of power as he brought in his own GM and the Bills did make the playoffs in his first season as HC.  I look at Rex Ryan and see his first year the Bills went 8-8 and then went backward to 7-8 before he was fired. 

Now granted Ryan screwed himself by attempting to run his archaic lame 3-4 scheme that was dependent on elite linebackers that he didn't have...Meanwhile, the Bills defense was better suited for a 4-3 with that superb defensive line. Then instead of rushing the passer with that D line he would rather they hold their blocks while at times dropping into pass coverage :doh: A blind man could see Rex Ryan was a big mouth fool. 

Still, the 2018 Bills season was marred with blowouts (5)and a run game that stalled more often than not. (His defense crapped the bed in a bunch of games last year). While taking big steps backward to a 6-10 season. Keeping run game coordinator/O line coach Juan Castillo for 2018 wasn't nearly as wrong as giving Nathan Peterman the starting job with all the starting season reps ...much less keeping him as a backup. While the defense was #2 yards allowed those blowouts held the Bills to 18th in points allowed. 

I honestly don't think McD will survive another 6-10 season and quite a lot of it will depend on how the season transpires. McD has had two seasons to show he knows how to build a solid team and took a Chan Gailey step backward last year.  I'd have a different feeling about the situation had McD been able to beat the NE Patriots at least once and right now he is 0-4.  In my view what good is he if he can't beat the Patriots at least once in six attempts.

It's my take that the Pegula's want to win in the NFL more than most realize. 

Edited by Nihilarian

7 hours ago, vincec said:

I’m trying to think of a coach in the last 30 years who lost more games than the previous season for two seasons in a row and still turned the franchise into a winner. I can’t. Maybe someone can provide an example, but if the Bills are worse than 6-10 next season then I’d say the chances that mcDermott turns it around are minuscule.

Maybe, maybe not, but there's no particular reason to think they actually will be worse than 6-10 next year.

Marty Schottenheimer in San Diego went 8-8 and then 4-12 his first two years and then won 12 and 14 games in two of the next three seasons. Mike Shanahan's first three years in Washington were 6-10, 5-11 and 10-6, which is pretty damn good for that toxic environment. Dick Vermeil's first two years in St. Louis he went 5-11 and then 4-10, and then his third year was 13-3. Holmgren in Seattle went 9-7 and then 6-10. Mike freakin' Holmgren. Went 9-7 and then 6-10. Why do those numbers seem so familiar to me?

Sean Payton went 10-6 and then 7-9 in his first two years with the Saints. The current Raiders coach, when in Tampa, went 12-4 and then plummeted to 7-9. And then 5-11 in his third year. He did pretty well in Tampa as I recall, didn't he? Sam Wyche went 8-8 and then 7-9 in Cincy before having two seasons where he won ten and then 12 games. Wayne Fontes was brought in mid-year and went 2-3, and then kept on. HIs first two full years he went 7-9 and then 6-10 and then had a 12 and two 10-win seasons, damn good in Detroit. Jim Fassel in NY went 10-6 and then 8-8 and then 7-9 and then in the next four years had a 12 and a 10 win season. Depending on how you count it, Jason Garrett went 5-3 his first year and then 8-8 three straight times. He didn't do as well as he'd done his first year till his fifth.

I'm just looking down the list of head coaches and remembering guys who had a turnaround. It isn't all that unusual. And I'm far from finished with the list, as my point is made.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Win games or get fired. That’s how it should be

And do it all over again every three years.  I see them getting the five years.  I also am seeing a team being built from the ground up and spending wisely.  Now we have 10 draft picks and still money to sustainably spend each year without going upside down (see Whaley).

You can’t quick fix a program.  If over the five years, they don’t consistently improve, yes I agree Bagarang.

• Like (+1) 1

I think terry's comments say it all.  He realizes you can't keep reinventing the wheel every couple years.  McD and Beane have a plan, they're sticking to it, and hopefully it gives sustained results.  As for the Sabres, Botterill is I think like Beane, he has a plan and will go forth and execute.  I hope part of that plan is to get some guys on the team that actually aren't afraid of hitting a guy.  The limited number of games I get to see, it's ridiculous how many opposing players sit right in front of the goal and aren't touched. 

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

And do it all over again every three years.  I see them getting the five years.  I also am seeing a team being built from the ground up and spending wisely.  Now we have 10 draft picks and still money to sustainably spend each year without going upside down (see Whaley).

You can’t quick fix a program.  If over the five years, they don’t consistently improve, yes I agree Bagarang.

So, you're ok with a slide back to five or less wins in the upcoming season.  After turning over more than 30% (conservatively) of their roster in this off season what excuses will you offer? Mind you, I don't think it (a slide) will happen, but if it does they both will and should be on the hot seat.