Will The Pegulas Decision On Phil Housley Foreshadow the Future Of Beane and McDermott?

Listening to Kim and Terry at the owners meetings was interesting.  Despite it being an NFL owners meeting, the majority of questions were Buffalo Sabres related.  Specifically wondering how Terry and Kim will respond to a team with promise that currently is in a free fall.  Many fans are calling for the head of Phil Housley and given how the team has played over the past few months, it tough to suggest otherwise.  

A topic that has been discussed in here has been the overall security of Beane and McDermott and the amount of pressure (or lack thereof) they are under to win.  

It made me wonder how they’ll respond if the Bills take another step back record wise.  Let’s say they go 5-11 or 4-12.  Does it mean that McDermott and/or Beane will be axed it that they’ll be under the gun in 2020?

I’ve always thought that the both Beane and McDermott will be given the full 5 years of their contract.   I also think that the Pegulas are image conscious and don’t want to be the team which constantly fires coaches.  I think when they fired Rex and brought it McDermott they gave him their word that they would have patience and give him time to build his vision.  

Based on how Terry and Kim have a the Housley situation, I believe this even more now. I noticed they used the word “patience” on more than 1 occasion and while Terry didn’t use the word “continuity” he basically alluded it by referencing New England.

So any fans that want say things like “Fire McDermott” or “Beane should be Fired.”  Will likely have to wait until 2021.  I think these cats are getting all 5 years regardless, under the guise of “patience” and “continuity.”  Yes even if they go 6-10 and 5-11, they still will get 2021.  Only way they leave before this is if there is some kind of falling out or a disasterous Hugh Jackson-like Run.  

I would think if the team finishes with 4-6 wins , it would be logical that they would be 'under the gun'.  A lot of factors would be in play and you have to see how the season plays out. What if Allen is injured most of the season, I would think that would be taken into account.  Basically, if you don't win, you are under pressure, nothing out of the ordinary there.

• Like (+1) 1

No. I have supreme confidence in the GM, HC, and QB for the first time in forever for the Bills. McBeane will at least have the full duration of Allen's rookie deal to continue to build the team in their vision, and thus far it seems they're doing a damn good job. 

The Sabres coaching, player depth, and overall management has been a wreck. There's uncertainty whether or not Housley was even Botterill's choice - Terry's intro in his presser was that along the lines of a nostalgic fan. Phil just isn't getting the job done during the game and I'm skeptical he can lead and inspire this team off the ice, either; keeping him will probably only delay the inevitable and have him out during Christmas imo. I could say more, but I digress. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I truly believe they are safe for a minimum of 2 more years.

I just think the Pegs believe they found their guys, and making the playoffs bought them some time off the hot seat.

McBeane will get a chance to fully realize their collective vision.

That's not my choice, just my gut feeling (though it also happens to be my choice).

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JimKellyTryouts said:

No. I have supreme confidence in the GM, HC, and QB for the first time in forever for the Bills. McBeane will at least have the full duration of Allen's rookie deal to continue to build the team in their vision, and thus far it seems they're doing a damn good job. 

The Sabres coaching, player depth, and overall management has been a wreck. There's uncertainty whether or not Housley was even Botterill's choice - Terry's intro in his presser was that along the lines of a nostalgic fan. Phil just isn't getting the job done during the game and I'm skeptical he can lead and inspire this team off the ice, either; keeping him will probably only delay the inevitable and have him out during Christmas imo. I could say more, but I digress. 

I'm not sure they're doing a damn good job, but they're being allowed to do their jobs and i think they've earned year 3 and barring a total collapse year 4. Patience is important, but so is progress.  I expect a pretty decent season coming up.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I heard an audo clip today of Terry saying the best teams in both leagues have one thing in common. Consistency of management team. I really hope he doesn’t think continuity leads to success and not the other way around. 

Correlation does not equal causation. 

If only Chan Gailey had more time. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This is apples and oranges.  The Bills went to the playoffs two seasons ago under the current regime and from all appearances know what they're doing and are progressing.  The Sabres, on the other hand, are pure regression.  One season is worse than the last.  The team right now isn't.  Housley is in way over his head, appears to have no plan, and is an embarrassment who should have been fired by now.  The jury is out on Botterill, but based on the O'Reilly give away, looks less than stellar.  The Bills ship is thus righted while the Sabres ship is titanically sinking.  Apples and oranges.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

This is apples and oranges.  The Bills went to the playoffs two seasons ago under the current regime and from all appearances know what they're doing and are progressing.  The Sabres, on the other hand, are pure regression.  One season is worse than the last.  The team right now isn't.  Housley is in way over his head, appears to have no plan, and is an embarrassment who should have been fired by now.  The jury is out on Botterill, but based on the O'Reilly give away, looks less than stellar.  The Bills ship is thus righted while the Sabres ship is titanically sinking.  Apples and oranges.

Not really considering that after winning 10 games in a row, they appeared to be making progress and had fans talking playoffs for the first time in years.  I wouldn’t say it’s a complete regression because they did get hot this year.

20 minutes ago, stony said:

It sounded like Terry was laying the foundation for Housley's firing.  

It did?  Because I felt the opposite?  It sounded like Terry was making every excuse for Housley.  I think he’s staying 

"Continuity" is important to Pegula, huh..?

Remember when he said this?:

We’re talking about continuity, and the players need that,” Pegula said. “Our coach needs to know that, through the good and the bad, there’s stability. The players need to know there’s stability. And by the way, that doesn’t help our players any to start reading that their coach is going to get fired.”

That was just weeks before he fired Rex.

And the Sabres have simply quit with 6 games left.  It's been a disaster since Pegula Day 1 for that sad franchise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Pro sports is a performance based business and if a player can't do his job he is replaced. Why shouldn't the HC, GM or assistant coach get the same?

After last years draft/ FA Beane isn't going anywhere! McD OTOH needs to have a winning season to at least 8-8, 9-7 or better.  

Big difference between Rex and McD: the players and owners have bought into McD's plan. Rex was clueless and it was obvious by the end of his second year that he'd lost the team.

Why do the players (and the owners) believe in McD and not Rex? Rex took a top-five defense and decimated it. McD took roughly the same players and rode that defense to the playoffs, in spite of having an anemic offense with a gun-shy QB. Then he (and Beane) dumped the dead weight, cleared cap space, drafted what looks to be a competent QB, bolstered the o-line (on paper, at least), improved the WR corps, and still have ten draft picks to spend. Barring a total meltdown, they get at least two more years, and probably three.

• Like (+1) 1

Hardly ever post but I read TBD every day.  I just feel they have staying power here.  They just seem authentic and are disciplined to know what they are doing.  Kind of like Wade Phillips or Schwartz.  And something we’ve missed around here (in general) for a while esp on coaching side.

maybe wishful thinking on my part though.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1