With all the moves, I'm now conflicted at 9

Virgil

I'm beyond happy with who the Bills have gotten so far and think we've put ourselves in great shape for the draft.  I think they need to roll some money over to re-sign our own guys next year, but I would still like to see them spend a little.  With that, I think there are three positions that can really put us over the top.

1 - OT - There's two guys that could go at 9.  Only one of them is projected to be able to play LT.  If we could get him, kick Dawkins to LG, then the other FA's start, our offensive line would be a force.

2 - Ed Oliver - This one is hard for me as McDermott is heavy on rotation.  But his pass rush ability up the middle (just for your Marsha) would fill out the line nicely

3 - Josh Allen - I wasn't on board before, but I can't help but think about it now.  He's a monster in both pass rush and coverage.  With the QB's heating up, I could see him dropping to 4th or 5th.  That's not a crazy jump forward.  Imagine Allen, Milano, and Edmunds for the next 10 years. 

I wish there were some guys left in FA that could take one of these positions off the board, but there aren't any studs left.  Starters that are serviceable?  Yes.  If the Bills could pull off a trade where they got their edge rusher while keeping the #9, that would be amazing.

I also still want one of the Iowa TE's and Jarek Cook somehow.

Damn this is all exciting.

• Like (+1) 4

They certainly have filled many spots thru FA, but as has been pointed out, most contracts can walk away from in 1 to 2 years with little pain.  That being said makes me feel they'll need to fill slots through the draft now so they are ready to be big contributors in 1 to 2 years.  Therefore would rather see them trade down or stay at 9, but not move up.

• Like (+1) 1

it is all very exciting.  If we do stay at 9-currently we have Nsekhe replacing Mills, Harrison/Phillips to replace Kyle, and Kroft/Crooms to replace Clay. That leads me to believe the pick will be Oliver all things considered.  And if we draft Oliver, and sign Ziggy, the Bills might have a championship caliber defense

I also like the idea of trading into the 20's, and drafting Jeffery Simmons.  If we sign Ziggy, Simmons, Star, Trent, Shaq, Jerry, Harrison, and Phillips would wear down opposing lines

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

I think they draft down, and I think they try and trade their lower 5th + 6th for a 4th.
if they draft 10 players sign and sign Ansah tmrw that's 20 new players, they might as well draft fewer players and make sure they are quality guys. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm tempted by Hockenson at 9. But I think the smart play is to go with the BPA and I think that'll be on the defensive side. Wilkins or Oliver or Gary. 

2nd round you let the board come to you and see where the better player is. Could a good olineman fall? A good WR?

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm beyond happy with who the Bills have gotten so far and think we've put ourselves in great shape for the draft.  I think they need to roll some money over to re-sign our own guys next year, but I would still like to see them spend a little.  With that, I think there are three positions that can really put us over the top.

1 - OT - There's two guys that could go at 9.  Only one of them is projected to be able to play LT.  If we could get him, kick Dawkins to LG, then the other FA's start, our offensive line would be a force.

2 - Ed Oliver - This one is hard for me as McDermott is heavy on rotation.  But his pass rush ability up the middle (just for your Marsha) would fill out the line nicely

3 - Josh Allen - I wasn't on board before, but I can't help but think about it now.  He's a monster in both pass rush and coverage.  With the QB's heating up, I could see him dropping to 4th or 5th.  That's not a crazy jump forward.  Imagine Allen, Milano, and Edmunds for the next 10 years. 

I wish there were some guys left in FA that could take one of these positions off the board, but there aren't any studs left.  Starters that are serviceable?  Yes.  If the Bills could pull off a trade where they got their edge rusher while keeping the #9, that would be amazing.

I also still want one of the Iowa TE's and Jarek Cook somehow.

Damn this is all exciting.

I'll make it easier for you. Josh Allen 99% likely  won't be available by our pick. Also, the Bills won't slide Dawkins inside to left guard. I don't get people's obsession with wanting to do this just because some draft analysts and anonymous scouts said he would be god there.

20 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They certainly have filled many spots thru FA, but as has been pointed out, most contracts can walk away from in 1 to 2 years with little pain.  That being said makes me feel they'll need to fill slots through the draft now so they are ready to be big contributors in 1 to 2 years.  Therefore would rather see them trade down or stay at 9, but not move up.

I would be completely shocked if Buffalo moved up from 9.  Of course, any trade requires an interested partner, but I wouldn't mind a trade down.  I think Ed Oliver is the most likely pick at #9, pending his pro day (not having run all the tests and drills at the combine).  I don't think Josh Allen will be available.  I'd be a little surprised if Buffalo went offensive line that high after the free agents Beane signed.  If Buffalo does not sign Ziggy Ansah, I suppose an edge rusher could be in play (Montez Sweat, Brian Burns or Clelin Ferrell.  I won't be completely shocked if Buffalo picked DK Metcalf, but I don't think it's terribly likely.