The stupidity of Free Agency summed up in one deal.

6 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not sure what is so great about the gore deal...

2 million dollars a year for a back that is still productive, excellent blocker, workout freak and good locker room guy who most likely will replace Ivory at a cheaper cost.

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not that its great, he's cheap value and really expect us to cut Ivory and then Gore becomes cheaper than Ivory.  Maybe Gore can also help his buddy McCoy extend his career like him and play well for another year or two.  

Overall response to Gore deal has been positive outside this board.  Not a game changing signing by any means, but I mean he is super cheap and despite his age has been solid.  They are saying best deal in terms of value.  

Exactly!  I have heard a few opinions outside of this board and universally view Gore as a good value pickup.  

He is not meant to be the feature back, hes a one year rental who can carry the workload if needed and can block and catch from the backfield.  Not to mention he is a workout freak who undoubtedly will run off his work habits to other teammates who will look up to a multiple appearance pro bowl player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m all for shorter deals ala Pats and Steelers. Keep it up Beane. 

19 minutes ago, Magox said:

Exactly!  I have heard a few opinions outside of this board and universally view Gore as a good value pickup.  

He is not meant to be the feature back, hes a one year rental who can carry the workload if needed and can block and catch from the backfield.  Not to mention he is a workout freak who undoubtedly will run off his work habits to other teammates who will look up to a multiple appearance pro bowl player.

Can’t put enough thumbs up on this. 

Easiest position to replace. Got a leader. Love the Gore signing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

If you are outbidding 31 other teams for any particular players service then I think that says it all..

On another note.. interested to see what Jordan Mills gets after the Hart signing..

who cares as long as it's some other team paying it.

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kwon Alexander.  

When will the 49ers learn?  They love forking over massive UNEARNED contracts to "potential" as if those players are already Elite.  They did it with Kap, Jimmy G, McKinnon, and now Kwon.  

Somehow, the answer to the trivia question "Who is the highest paid ILB in NFL History" is at the moment Kwon Alexander.  How is this possible?  

1. He is an undersized LB whose best asset is speed.
  2. Now he is coming off a torn ACL so who knows how much that impacts his speed.
  3. He has missed at least 4 games in 3 of his first 4 seasons.
  4. He has one season over 100 tackles.
  5. Since 2011, only 9 players in the NFL have over 50 missed tackles.  Kwon has been in the NFL since 2015 and already has 78.  
    1. NOTE:  He has missed a total of 16 games and parts of others.  So he amassed those 78 missed tackles in just under 3 seasons too.

YET, this guy is somehow the highest paid ILB in NFL History?  While everyone was freaking out while guys like this (not him specifically) were getting grossly over paid for what they have done on the field, I am thrilled we don't have a FO making frivolous moves like this.  This move could work out for the 49ers, time will tell.  But man its crazy to see how much some of these guys are getting paid for doing so little.  

I think FA is off to a very good start for the Bills, now if we can land another quality OL like Williams, Saffold, Taylor, etc we will have had a pretty good FA overall.  

Except in 3 years this won't be considered an overpay.  The salary cap goes up and so does player salaries.  It's not extra money for teams, it's more money for players. There will be a lot of top paying contracts this year because of the large cap hike and if it happens again, we will see these contracts be buried.  Why is this so hard to understand for some fans?  

53 minutes ago, Magox said:

I think we (at least I) are just jaded by the age given the old RBs we already have. But it can’t be judged in a vacuum because we don’t know if they will draft a young RB yet. If they do, Shady/Gore/Rookie works for me. Gore is hella old for an RB but he’s kind of an anomaly. He can still play and he’s an excellent blocker. Just utilize him to his strengths. The biggest value to me is the leadership on the offensive side of the ball, which has been lacking since Wood retired. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

$22 mill average.  That's decent starting QB money in today's NFL.

For comparison, Matt Stafford is going to make $29.5 million this season, with a 7-53 record against winning teams.

gotta say, that division will be fun to track this year for sure.

10 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Wait did i log into the 49ers website?

To their defense we made Morse the highest paid center in the league.  I think every will agree he’s not the best center in the league but he’s pretty good.  Just how it goes 

But at least Morse hasnt given up a sack in 3 years...

13 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Like Buddy Nix always said, everyone overpays in free agency.  There are no deals to be had.

I'm glad we got our guy at C.   Now lets get our LT in the first and have him compete with Dawk, loser goes to the right side or in Dawk's place guard (where he was projected to play all along by most scouts)

I would qualify Nix's remark.  Everyone overpays early in free agency.  Later on in free agency some valuable role players can be had for a very reasonable price.  You just can't wait  to long if you're counting on picking up starters.