Crazy rule change idea I had that doesn't seem so crazy the longer I think about: Make failed 4th down conversions worth 1 point

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This is the worst idea I’ve ever read.

Then you have not been reading the board for a long time. One poster, who sometimes calls himself a QB expert, wanted to trade our starting DE to Arizona for John Skelton. He is so bad that he was released by a CFL team.  THAT was worst idea I have ever read on this board. 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

Football is the only major spot where an offense possessing the ball willingly gives it up when it is not taken from them by rule, as opposed to actively trying to score. No matter how much analysis is done on the cost/benefit of going for it every fourth down, the trend from high school to college to the pros is to punt it away and play it safe. No matter if the coach is analytical and methodical like Belichick, or freewheeling and cutting edge like Peterson or McVay, this is one trend that no one is willing to buck. 

Also, football is the only major sport that can't end with a final score of 1-0. Not that this is something to strive for, I just have always found it interesting.

So this rule fixes both of those, and please, hammer me (pause) with the drawbacks or the reasons why this is idiotic... because at first I thought it was pure ridiculousness, but now I'm not so sure. As the kids say "change my mind".

There are no special circumstances to consider, no contingencies, no need to differentiate across different levels of the game.

Just like the title says: all failed fourth down conversions are worth 1 point for the attempting offense.

Advantages:

1) Virtually no team would punt outside their 40 yard line, which would eliminate a good chunk of punts from the game entirely. The punt has become a boring play--too many fair catches, too much directional punting, not enough action. The NFL seems to hate special teams plays as it is, and I don't know how much they're concerned about injuries on punts (probably less, because blockers can line up so close to the kicking team) but this would go a long way towards mitigating them.

2) It incentivises a "risky" behavior that we all want to see more of, and allows for more strategizing/second guessing. With the way the game is trending, everyone loves offense. We all hate when the punting team runs out on the field. This could lead to more stalemates at the middle of the field (between the 40s), where defensive teams could trade blows and still have something to show for it. Or imagine a scenario where Buf takes it to midfield against the Pats and has 4th and 2--go for it, fail, get a point. Maybe the Pats kick a field goal, but it reduces their net score to 2. Even if they score a touchdown, it reduces their net score to 6, and if we drove deep into their territory on the next drive, it could be a 5 point game with another failed conversion. 

3) The ending of games becomes wild. Let's say a team up 8 possess the ball on their side of the field. They're stopped on 1st through 3rd down, but their opponents are out of timeouts. Go for it and win by securing the extra point? But now your opponent has the ball deep in your zone, they could turn around and kick a field goal and then go for an onside kick? 

I'll use this space to keep adding advantages I can think of, and addressing any concerns.

These are the kind of threads that the offseason inspires, what can I say.

I like the way you are thinking.  How about you just outlaw punting?  You either go for it or kick a FG.

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

How about we make each yard gained worth a point times the down times the square of the quarter?  That way, when a team only gains 7 yards the first three quarters, and is getting blown out, they still have a chance to win the game with a last second 4th down 90-yard hail mary that would be worth 576 points?  

You should have included pi in the calculation. We could make football as American as apple pi. 

• Like (+1) 1

They should give a team points when it’s fan base cries the loudest on how the refs are ripping them off on every play.

many fan bases would be amazed to see how     every other team’s fans are good at this

listen to the local radio broadcast of Pats games, you’d swear the poor Pats are being screwed over every single play if you took it at face value

7 hours ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Thank you for being the voice of reason here!

While we're at it, it's criminal that basketball hasn't adopted a 40 point 3/4 court shot. Why shouldn't a team down by 39 at least have a puncher's chance in the final seconds? 

People need to get with the times!

Because it’s not boxing?

8 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

This is the worst idea I’ve ever read.

Worse than the idea that it takes an hour to make noodles and you include pickle juice as an ingredient?

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The QB could snap it on 4th down with two seconds left.  Run outside the pocket and then chuck it in the stands for a walkoff victory.

Isn't the OP suggesting a 4th down conversion??  You would have to go for it on 4th down and convert the 1st to get the point.  I think that's what he's saying.  That part of it is intriguing, but I'm wondering what would happen in OT?  You wouldn't want a team to win through a 4th down conversion.  Take initial KO, end up getting stuffed on 3 plays and convert a 4th&1 from your own 15 yard line.  Not an appropriate way to lose in that scenario.

3 minutes ago, cage said:

Isn't the OP suggesting a 4th down conversion??  You would have to go for it on 4th down and convert the 1st to get the point.  I think that's what he's saying.  That part of it is intriguing, but I'm wondering what would happen in OT?  You wouldn't want a team to win through a 4th down conversion.  Take initial KO, end up getting stuffed on 3 plays and convert a 4th&1 from your own 15 yard line.  Not an appropriate way to lose in that scenario.

No.  He said a point for a failed first down conversion in the title thread and his post reaffirmed his proposal.  Scott Norwood pry wishes this rule was in place in the '90-'91 season.

My OT proposal is to completely eliminate punts and first score wins.  Of course I would never start a thread suggesting that because I can't handle widespread mockery even on an anonymous message board so kudos to the OP. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The QB could snap it on 4th down with two seconds left.  Run outside the pocket and then chuck it in the stands for a walkoff victory.

I know my (unstated) example pertains to the end of the half, but make sure the QB knows he has to throw it...

Well if you want a crazy idea for OT since it seems no matter what scheme they come up with it favors team which wins coin flip.

• Idea: Put both teams offenses on 40s on opposite sides of fields with opposing defenses (yes 44 players on field).
  • First one to score wins - no downs, offense just keeps getting ball.

Notes:

• Any player on defense intentionally trying to milk time will be cited for unsportsmanlike conduct and ejected with no replacement.
  • Anyone crossing 50 yard line on offense incurs a penalty and the penalty yards are given to opposing team!
  • For defenses interceptions and fumble returns getting the ball back to the 50 is a TD.

16 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

Football is the only major spot where an offense possessing the ball willingly gives it up when it is not taken from them by rule, as opposed to actively trying to score. No matter how much analysis is done on the cost/benefit of going for it every fourth down, the trend from high school to college to the pros is to punt it away and play it safe. No matter if the coach is analytical and methodical like Belichick, or freewheeling and cutting edge like Peterson or McVay, this is one trend that no one is willing to buck. 

Also, football is the only major sport that can't end with a final score of 1-0. Not that this is something to strive for, I just have always found it interesting.

So this rule fixes both of those, and please, hammer me (pause) with the drawbacks or the reasons why this is idiotic... because at first I thought it was pure ridiculousness, but now I'm not so sure. As the kids say "change my mind".

There are no special circumstances to consider, no contingencies, no need to differentiate across different levels of the game.

Just like the title says: all failed fourth down conversions are worth 1 point for the attempting offense.

Advantages:

1) Virtually no team would punt outside their 40 yard line, which would eliminate a good chunk of punts from the game entirely. The punt has become a boring play--too many fair catches, too much directional punting, not enough action. The NFL seems to hate special teams plays as it is, and I don't know how much they're concerned about injuries on punts (probably less, because blockers can line up so close to the kicking team) but this would go a long way towards mitigating them.

2) It incentivises a "risky" behavior that we all want to see more of, and allows for more strategizing/second guessing. With the way the game is trending, everyone loves offense. We all hate when the punting team runs out on the field. This could lead to more stalemates at the middle of the field (between the 40s), where defensive teams could trade blows and still have something to show for it. Or imagine a scenario where Buf takes it to midfield against the Pats and has 4th and 2--go for it, fail, get a point. Maybe the Pats kick a field goal, but it reduces their net score to 2. Even if they score a touchdown, it reduces their net score to 6, and if we drove deep into their territory on the next drive, it could be a 5 point game with another failed conversion. 

3) The ending of games becomes wild. Let's say a team up 8 possess the ball on their side of the field. They're stopped on 1st through 3rd down, but their opponents are out of timeouts. Go for it and win by securing the extra point? But now your opponent has the ball deep in your zone, they could turn around and kick a field goal and then go for an onside kick? 

I'll use this space to keep adding advantages I can think of, and addressing any concerns.

These are the kind of threads that the offseason inspires, what can I say.

So if we successfully completed a 4th down conversion would we get one point?

18 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

So game is tied w/ 1 min left, team takes 4 straight kneel downs at their own 20 to win the game? 

18 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

Welp, grand opening, grand closing.

Kinda like going to a nude beach, starting to apply sunscreen, and suddenly realizing that you haven't thought out all the details well enough in advance.