Non-draft draft idea

Since Beane has been here IMO he has been all about value.  He has cut players with bad contracts, gotten guys like White that would be taken much higher now and used the UDFA process to great impact.  

2019 is intersting for sure but so are the following years.  This year we have a ton of cap $.  We can spend that and plug holes at OL, TE, edge and others.  WR might be tough along with LB.

Turning to the draft, and no offense to these kids, but it is the most boring in history.  These guys pretty much suck.  We pick at 9, and it is already thinning out by then.  I could see Beane pulling off a master stroke that looks bad at first but pays off for decades.  Burn the value chart and trade all the picks to different teams for their corresponding pick next year.  Spread it out so odds are that some of the picks will be high in their round.  Trade the 9 to the Cardinals and we'll have a chance at #1 in 2020. Other teams might be Cincy, Washington, or Detroit. Next year trade Tua for multiple 1's.

Package our 2 2020 2's and roll the dice on AB, get another UDFA like Wallace/Foster but at RB, LB and depth OL and we are set up for a decade.

• Haha (+1) 3

I disagree on the strength of this draft class. I think this is a decent draft - particularly defensively. There is a decent depth of offensive talent too, but it isn't at that elite end..... there are probably 25-30 offensive guys who belong somewhere from the back half of the 1st to the front half of the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree on the strength of this draft class. I think this is a decent draft - particularly defensively. There is a decent depth of offensive talent too, but it isn't at that elite end..... there are probably 25-30 offensive guys who belong somewhere from the back half of the 1st to the front half of the 3rd.

When the top non-QB O prospect aspires to Drew Bledsoe's lateral quickness, then it is time to think pragmatically and long term if you're Beane.

41 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Since Beane has been here IMO he has been all about value.  He has cut players with bad contracts, gotten guys like White that would be taken much higher now and used the UDFA process to great impact.  

2019 is intersting for sure but so are the following years.  This year we have a ton of cap $.  We can spend that and plug holes at OL, TE, edge and others.  WR might be tough along with LB.

Turning to the draft, and no offense to these kids, but it is the most boring in history.  These guys pretty much suck.  We pick at 9, and it is already thinning out by then.  I could see Beane pulling off a master stroke that looks bad at first but pays off for decades.  Burn the value chart and trade all the picks to different teams for their corresponding pick next year.  Spread it out so odds are that some of the picks will be high in their round.  Trade the 9 to the Cardinals and we'll have a chance at #1 in 2020. Other teams might be Cincy, Washington, or Detroit. Next year trade Tua for multiple 1's.

Package our 2 2020 2's and roll the dice on AB, get another UDFA like Wallace/Foster but at RB, LB and depth OL and we are set up for a decade.

Draft day 2. This time Staring Ralph Machio and Mr Miyagi.  Lol?

Edited by BillsFan1988

53 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

When the top non-QB O prospect aspires to Drew Bledsoe's lateral quickness, then it is time to think pragmatically and long term if you're Beane.

Or just pick one of the top end defensive prospects that falls to you?

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Or just pick one of the top end defensive prospects that falls to you?

Maybe that lacks the same....flair to it?  You get no extra style points for drafting an elite DL. 

So we stop doing what's been working and roll the dice on Anthony "I don't need football" Brown (after already having had Vontae Davis quit on them)?  OK

Edited by TigerJ

This literally makes no sense.  It’s not like we GAIN picks in this scenario, you’re just moving the picks to another year and hoping there’s better choices which you don’t know yet.  

Second it’s crazy to say this draft isn’t good.  It’s also deep in areas we need help at.  At 9 there will be blue chip prospects on the board too. We will never pick this high again for a long time either.  

Luckily there is less than 0% chance of this happening.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This literally makes no sense.  It’s not like we GAIN picks in this scenario, you’re just moving the picks to another year and hoping there’s better choices which you don’t know yet.  

Second it’s crazy to say this draft isn’t good.  It’s also deep in areas we need help at.  At 9 there will be blue chip prospects on the board too. We will never pick this high again for a long time either.  

Agreed.  Picks are generally devalued 1 round so you are losing capital.  Even if you were going up 1 round (2019 R2 > 2020 R1), it would be a bad idea.  Bills need talent now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Agreed.  Picks are generally devalued 1 round so you are losing capital.  Even if you were going up 1 round (2019 R2 > 2020 R1), it would be a bad idea.  Bills need talent now.

Listen I understand that and of course Beane should take the most he can get but the point is to load up in 2020 and that might mean like for like even if it seems to be at a discount.  Besides, it's not like we can get a "zeroeth" round pick for our 2019 1st.

Anyway I think Beane needs to be a handicapper with the 2020 first and really try to get the #1 overall.  Cincy?  If we land the keys to Tua the haul could be amazing.  

The "now" talent comes from free agency, a possible trade for a guy like Brown and the UDFAs.  We had two UDFAs from 2018 that would be drafted pretty high in a re-do.  Beane should try to get more guys like that.  

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We will never pick this high again for a long time either.  

If we trade with a bad team we will get a high pick from them.  That is sort of the point.  Would you rather have Arizona's 2020 1 or a WR who can't move laterally any better than the 3:11 Amtrak?

Am I sure this will happen?  Of course not.  It is probably low odds to completely come true but I think trading our 1 for Arizona or Cincy's 2020 1 could happen.  In later rounds there could be different partners.  The odds of it all happening are the same as the odds of someone doing a 7 round mock draft and nailing it, but still not less than 0%. Where did you get that math?

12 hours ago, wagon127 said:

If this draft class sucks so bad, why would other teams want to sell their draft picks for next year to get more this year?

That's why I think we have to entice them with perceived draft value chart value.