Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You clearly didn’t listen Beane in his post draft presser just a little while ago specifically talk quite highly of Duke now did you ;)

Hint:  I did :) 

Take away was they think that kid can play and said wait until he has pads on and it’s 11 on 11 for real.

As opposed to not thinking someone on the roster can play?

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

As opposed to not thinking someone on the roster can play?

Are you really attempting to discuss and dispute comments in a press conference with me that you didn’t watch?  No offense, that’s a major pet peeve of mine when people want to disregard things they didn’t hear, see, watch, read, etc.  

No disrespect intended here, but come back once you do bud and happy to discuss :) He was quite flattering of Duke and it was apparent.  

Cheers

Edited by Alphadawg7

5 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Not Peterman...it took for the fanbase to cry out for them to do it...

It took consistent throwing of INTs and losing a game they should have won for them to do it. I don’t think they care(d) about the fan base at all when making decisions on personnel. They believe what they believe until a player proves them wrong. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Are you really attempting to discuss and dispute comments in a press conference with me that you didn’t watch?  No offense, that’s a major pet peeve of mine when people want to disregard things they didn’t hear, see, watch, read, etc.  

No disrespect intended here, but come back once you do bud and happy to discuss :) He was quite flattering of Duke and it was apparent.  

Cheers

We are officially in the phase of the offseason where duke can voluntarily lift weights at the facility, right?

My point is that their commitment to him is so low and hands on contact with him so nearly non existent that he could’ve said that duke has the makings of a hall of famer and it’d ring hollow. Nothing he said tonight would make me think the passed on a day 2 WR or are cutting zay because of how they say they feel about duke. He’s a guy with talent but we haven’t even matched the first number on the lottery ticket yet. All he could do tonight was acknowledge that he was a lottery ticket. Everyone knows that. If you read more into (any) comments tonight, enjoy the high. 

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im not keeping anything going.  I responded to someone’s comment.  And I never guaranteed anything, all I did was share my feeling his job isn’t safe and why.  And with him looking up at Brown, Foster, and Cole I still think his job isn’t safe.  Duke is still a wild card too.  

Plus McKenzie and Roberts still vying for a roster spot too.  

As I said before, I don’t care if I’m right or wrong come week 1.  This was never about that, it was about discussing our WR room, anticipated changes, and where they all fit.  And my feeling was with stiffer competition, Zay will fall down the depth chart.

But now some of you are taking a “victory lap” before the competition has even begun.  

All good either way, been a great thread of mostly great discussion and there is still a lot left in this story before we know how it ends.  

Cheers to all, Go Bills

What's silly is the idea that it's implausible for Zay to not be part of the 2019 Bills. You've got Brown, Beasley, and Foster as locks. Then you've got McKenzie who I believe will make the team as a "weapon" and Andre Roberts who should make the team as a return man. If Duke Williams or David Sills really make moves in camp, it's completely possible that Zay is the odd man out.

I wouldn't go so far as to predict it, but it's CERTAINLY not out of the question.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And we did just add 2 more WRs as UDFAs.  One of them is a kid who was projected mid round - David Sills V - and he is a guy who has a real shot at this roster.  

So the WR battle is going to be very fun to watch with TWO wildcards in the equation IMO with Duke and Sills.  

Beane loves draft capital and value.  I think he will try and recoup something for Zay if he’s going to be a backup.  Just my opinion.  

Alpha, I know you got the "Zay is gone" cross firmly in hand but I see this years WRs as an open tryout for guys that "mesh" with Josh Allen.

Brown and Beasley got the inside track due to contracts but anyone who doesn't play well with Josh will be spun off in an attempt

to find those who do.

Zay has as good or better chance to fit in with the remaining 4 as anyone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

You clearly didn’t listen Beane in his post draft presser just a little while ago specifically talk quite highly of Duke now did you ;)

Hint:  I did :) 

Take away was they think that kid can play and said wait until he has pads on and it’s 11 on 11 for real.

New to the board, so first just want to say hi to all and glad to be a part of the best NFL fan base.

Regarding the post above, are you referring to the Beane/McDermott post draft presser video that is posted on the Bills website (~19 min long)?  If so, I just listened and must have missed the part where they discussed Duke.  Can you point out around what minute mark they talk of him?  Not trying to be a jerk, just curious to hear more about the new WR.

Also, the quote of "wait until the pads on and it's 11 on 11", was for for the new safety drafted ( I think Jacquan).   Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss another press conference/released video.

As for Zay, my opinion is he sticks around for this season.  It's really challenging to evaluate our last 2 seasons, can definitely form opinions, but with Tyrod then a rookie in Josh, behind a horrid offensive line and 2nd o-coordinator in as many years, again just really difficult to evaluate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

We are officially in the phase of the offseason where duke can voluntarily lift weights at the facility, right?

My point is that their commitment to him is so low and hands on contact with him so nearly non existent that he could’ve said that duke has the makings of a hall of famer and it’d ring hollow. Nothing he said tonight would make me think the passed on a day 2 WR or are cutting zay because of how they say they feel about duke. He’s a guy with talent but we haven’t even matched the first number on the lottery ticket yet. All he could do tonight was acknowledge that he was a lottery ticket. Everyone knows that. If you read more into (any) comments tonight, enjoy the high. 

Didnt day any of that.  But ok

33 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

New to the board, so first just want to say hi to all and glad to be a part of the best NFL fan base.

Regarding the post above, are you referring to the Beane/McDermott post draft presser video that is posted on the Bills website (~19 min long)?  If so, I just listened and must have missed the part where they discussed Duke.  Can you point out around what minute mark they talk of him?  Not trying to be a jerk, just curious to hear more about the new WR.

Also, the quote of "wait until the pads on and it's 11 on 11", was for for the new safety drafted ( I think Jacquan).   Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss another press conference/released video.

As for Zay, my opinion is he sticks around for this season.  It's really challenging to evaluate our last 2 seasons, can definitely form opinions, but with Tyrod then a rookie in Josh, behind a horrid offensive line and 2nd o-coordinator in as many years, again just really difficult to evaluate.

Welcome, and I will go back and listen again.  Hey it’s possible I misheard Dukes name when reporter asked him a question around the time they were discussing the WRs.  If I did, that’s on me.  But will happily check it and send the time once I find it

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Welcome, and I will go back and listen again.  Hey it’s possible I misheard Dukes name when reporter asked him a question around the time they were discussing the WRs.  If I did, that’s on me.  But will happily check it and send the time once I find it

Thanks Alpha!  And appreciate the tip to go look for the Beane presser.  Fun to listen to the media pundits, but much more insightful to hear Beane/McDermott discuss our new players

12 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Thanks Alpha!  And appreciate the tip to go look for the Beane presser.  Fun to listen to the media pundits, but much more insightful to hear Beane/McDermott discuss our new players

So yup, you are right.  I own that mistake, I thought he asked about Dhaquille which is “Duke” but it was Jacquan.  I misheard it and the literal description was all the same stuff they said about Duke when we first signed him, so seemed to match and didn’t catch the mistake.  

Thanks for pointing that out and take no offense of you doing so.  Was my mistake.  

Still doesn’t change my belief they like him as they have said quite a few good things about him before too.  

And yeah, the Beane pressers have been great throughout the draft.  I get alerted through Periscope when they go live and watch there.  Download Periscope and follow the Buffalo Bills.  There are quite a few pressers people miss that got good stuff in it.  

Welcome again to the board :) 

Cheers

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So yup, you are right.  I own that mistake, I thought he asked about Dhaquille which is “Duke” but it was Jacquan.  I misheard it and the literal description was all the same stuff they said about Duke when we first signed him, so seemed to match and didn’t catch the mistake.  

Thanks for pointing that out and take no offense of you doing so.  Was my mistake.  

Still doesn’t change my belief they like him as they have said quite a few good things about him before too.  

And yeah, the Beane pressers have been great throughout the draft.  I get alerted through Periscope when they go live and watch there.  Download Periscope and follow the Buffalo Bills.  There are quite a few pressers people miss that got good stuff in it.  

Cheers

Awesome, I will have to downlaod periscope.  Thanks for that tip.

No biggie on the Duke thing.  More than anything, I was hoping to hear more from Beane and McDermott about him.  I've only watched some highlights/couple games of his, but he looks the part and can't wait to see him play with us.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Awesome, I will have to downlaod periscope.  Thanks for that tip.

No biggie on the Duke thing.  More than anything, I was hoping to hear more from Beane and McDermott about him.  I've only watched some highlights/couple games of his, but he looks the part and can't wait to see him play with us.

They discussed him in an older presser, I think they have the old ones on Periscope too.  Periscope is twitters live feed 

Cheers

I think it is pretty normal for regimes to say good things about the guys they sign. I wouldn't read into what they say in pressers about their players, because 99% of the time it is just going to be positive fluff.

My personal opinion is that Duke has a very steep hill to climb if he wants to make the roster. Watching him, he just seems so slow to me. I kind of doubt he does make the roster, but I hope he proves me wrong and dominates.

I've got no skin in the game. If Zay Jones gets cut or traded, I don't care. If Duke becomes the #1, great. I just want to see a really good group of receivers that produce consistently at a high level. Whoever does that will get a virtual high five from me.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Alright, I am finally sold that Zay will not be on roster.  My guess is they trade him, if they can get anything.  We are keeping 6 WR IMO

Brown

Beasley

Foster(an offseason where he worked with Josh)

Roberts

Duke(potential #1 way more upside than Zay)

Sills or Easley- both these kids can play!  I think at least one of them will show more than Zay.  I really liks Sills

Duke and Sills would be red zone targets.  Brown and Foster speed.  Easley and Beasley slot.  Roberts return.  What's Zay's role?  Sills seems much more sure handed.  Sorry Zay.   Sills is going to eat you alive

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Alright, I am finally sold that Zay will not be on roster.  My guess is they trade him, if they can get anything.  We are keeping 6 WR IMO

Brown

Beasley

Roberts

Sills or Easley- both these kids can play!  I think at least one of them will show more than Zay.  I really liks Sills

Duke and Sills would be red zone targets.  Brown and Foster speed.  Easley and Beasley slot.  Roberts return.  What's Zay's role?  Sills seems much more sure handed.  Sorry Zay.   Sills is going to eat you alive

I asked this a while ago and Alpha you responded well to it, but I think it can be updated after FA and the draft. If Beane wants receivers who have different roles then my only question is if any WR we have blocks as well as Zay. If no one else is as good of a blocker as him, I think it will be hard for them to let him go.

I wonder if Zay's improvement in blocking was the final nail in the coffin that made Holmes expendable. 

You people who want him gone aren't going to get your wish.

Zay is here unless they trade him.

He is still on his rookie deal and he is coming off a 7-TD year, which is nothing to sneeze at.

He will be asked to accelerate his development in year 3 though, as the Bills are going to need him to be that intermediate threat as none of us have any idea what the Bills are going to get from the TE position in the receiving department.

Beasley and Yeldon are going. to be underneath guys.

Brown is the deep threat.

Foster is going to be asked to be the number one guy. Is he up to that?

Which leaves Jones as the intermediate guy. Is Jones going to be up to the challenge? 

Make no mistake, for all the Jones haters, he will be a Bills in 2019 whether you like it or not.

• Like (+1) 3

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

What if we had cut Moulds after year two.  Moulds 2nd year, 29 catches, 294 yards, 0 TD's. 

1 minute ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

What if we had cut Moulds after year two.  Moulds 2nd year, 29 catches, 294 yards, 0 TD's. 

Different world then.

I made the same point.

You have to be an INSTANT star in today's Football Fantasy World. You aren't allowed time to develop.

The one thing I will say that might be a negative for Jones though is I don't know what his work ethic is, so year 3 could end up being his last chance on the Bills roster. So, there is that.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Brown

Beasley

Roberts

The Duke hype reminds me of DaRick Rogers. Not sure how many of you remember. There have been others as well. The obsession with the random guys out there that are better than everyone else on our roster...