Calling it now: Zay Jones will not be on the week 1 roster.

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Alright, I am finally sold that Zay will not be on roster.  My guess is they trade him, if they can get anything.  We are keeping 6 WR IMO

Brown

Beasley

Foster(an offseason where he worked with Josh)

Roberts

Duke(potential #1 way more upside than Zay)

Sills or Easley- both these kids can play!  I think at least one of them will show more than Zay.  I really liks Sills

Duke and Sills would be red zone targets.  Brown and Foster speed.  Easley and Beasley slot.  Roberts return.  What's Zay's role?  Sills seems much more sure handed.  Sorry Zay.   Sills is going to eat you alive

In college, Zay had more catches than anyone.  His routes looked crisp and his hands looked very good.  He ran a 4.45 40.  Thats not to say that he’s great......all that says is Sills and Duke haven’t done anything in the NFL yet.  Play in college and the CFL don’t mean jack.  I have hopes that both of these guys will be good,  it as of now, they’re UDFA’s with zero nfl exp.  temper expectations.....unless you’re just hear so you can say “I told you so” later on.  If Zay makes the team, no one will remember you saying anything, because no one cares.

Edited by NewEra

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

In college, Zay had more catches than anyone.  His routes looked crisp and his hands looked very good.  He ran a 4.45 40.  Thats not to say that he’s great......all that says is Sills and Duke haven’t done anything in the NFL yet.  Play in college and the CFL don’t mean jack.  I have hopes that both of these guys will be good,  it as of now, they’re UDFA’s with zero nfl exp.  temper expectations.....unless you’re just hear so you can say “I told you so” later on.  If Zay makes the team, no one will remember you saying anything, because no one cares.

Huh?  You just quoted Zays college performance in support of Zay,  then to discredit Duke and Sills you say college and CFL production doesn’t mean jack in the next sentence?  

So....

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  You just quoted Zays college performance in support of Zay,  then to discredit Duke and Sills you say college and CFL production doesn’t mean jack in the next sentence?  

So....

No.  I quoted Zays college performance to show that college performance means jack. Sills played well in college.  Doesn’t mean he’s any good.  Duke player well in the CFL.  Doesn’t mean he’s any good.  

Edit;  i’m not in support of Zay (but I support all Bills) I’m saying that those that are so sure of Sills and Duke should temper expectations.  I hope they turn out to be the real deal.  I LOVE I’ve seen in duke cfl highlight.  But I realize that he may just be another guy like everyone favorite, Da”rick 

Edited by NewEra

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No.  I quoted Zays college performance to show that college performance means jack. Sills played well in college.  Doesn’t mean he’s any good.  Duke player well in the CFL.  Doesn’t mean he’s any good.  

Edit;  i’m not in support of Zay (but I support all Bills) I’m saying that those that are so sure of Sills and Duke should temper expectations.  I hope they turn out to be the real deal.  I LOVE I’ve seen in duke cfl highlight.  But I realize that he may just be another guy like everyone favorite, Da”rick 

Well I think you are mistaking the basis of this thread, which I started.  It was never to just rail against Zay, it was a discussion I started based on what I expected Beane to do this offseason and how I felt Zay would do facing stiffer competition.  

In your other post you asked if we are here to just say “I told you so” when it happens.  Well I’ve been here long enough for people to know that I don’t make threads like this for the purpose of “I told you so”, heck I don’t even make threads like this.

And I predicted Beane would add at least 3 new WRs in the offseason between FA and draft, and he added 5 relevant ones.  Brown, Cole, Duke, and Roberts in FA, plus Sills as an UDFA.  And he may be UDFA, but he should not be over looked, even Beane said they had a draft-able grade but later in rounds they went more with bigger needs.  

And Roberts is relevant, he won’t compete for a top 3 WR spot, but he will be a big threat for one of the WR spots as our returner.  

So the things I said would happen, did happen so far.  And now Zay will be in competition with Duke, Sills, and McKenzie for likely 2 spots.  And yes he has NFL experience over Duke and Sills, but that resume is actually pretty poor.  I believe you cited 7 TDs, but also over look majority came in 2 games vs the woeful Dolphins.  Totals don’t show week to week effectiveness and he was terrible in that category.  

So for me, it’s not about hating on Zay, heck I liked the pick when it happened (even though I personally wanted JuJu more).  It’s about believing or not if he will rise to the occasion against other young and hungry talent.  

I remain skeptical.  But hey if he does rise to the occasion, then that’s awesome, I would love to be wrong and see him stick and excel.  I’m not afraid of being wrong here, and I’m not interested in being “right”, just interested in Josh having the best tools around him to succeed, whoever that is.

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well I think you are mistaking the basis of this thread, which I started.  It was never to just rail against Zay, it was a discussion I started based on what I expected Beane to do this offseason and how I felt Zay would do facing stiffer competition.  

In your other post you asked if we are here to just say “I told you so” when it happens.  Well I’ve been here long enough for people to know that I don’t make threads like this for the purpose of “I told you so”, heck I don’t even make threads like this.

And I predicted Beane would add at least 3 new WRs in the offseason between FA and draft, and he added 5 relevant ones.  Brown, Cole, Duke, and Roberts in FA, plus Sills as an UDFA.  And he may be UDFA, but he should not be over looked, even Beane said they had a draft-able grade but later in rounds they went more with bigger needs.  

And Roberts is relevant, he won’t compete for a top 3 WR spot, but he will be a big threat for one of the WR spots as our returner.  

So the things I said would happen, did happen so far.  And now Zay will be in competition with Duke, Sills, and McKenzie for likely 2 spots.  And yes he has NFL experience over Duke and Sills, but that resume is actually pretty poor.  I believe you cited 7 TDs, but also over look majority came in 2 games vs the woeful Dolphins.  Totals don’t show week to week effectiveness and he was terrible in that category.  

So for me, it’s not about hating on Zay, heck I liked the pick when it happened (even though I personally wanted JuJu more).  It’s about believing or not if he will rise to the occasion against other young and hungry talent.  

I remain skeptical.  But hey if he does rise to the occasion, then that’s awesome, I would love to be wrong and see him stick and excel.  I’m not afraid of being wrong here, and I’m not interested in being “right”, just interested in Josh having the best tools around him to succeed, whoever that is.

This has nothing to do with your thread. I was quoting someone else

Edited by NewEra

46 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So....

I was about to post the same thing brother!

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

The Duke hype reminds me of DaRick Rogers. Not sure how many of you remember. There have been others as well. The obsession with the random guys out there that are better than everyone else on our roster...

Huge difference.  Sure both were 5 star recruits out of HS, and neither were drafted.  DaRick hasn't done much since college.  Whereas Duke was a CFL star. Beane himself has said that Duke makes WR not as much a need.  DaRick's failures have no bearing on Duke's success

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Huge difference.  Sure both were 5 star recruits out of HS, and neither were drafted.  DaRick hasn't done much since college.  Whereas Duke was a CFL star. Beane himself has said that Duke makes WR not as much a need.  DaRick's failures have no bearing on Duke's success

He lead the SEC in receiving!!!

Brown, Beasley and the returner Roberts will be on the roster if healthy. That leaves 3 roster spots at the WR position open. In order for Zay's roster spot to be in danger he has to have 3 WR's leapfrog him. Foster is one that you could easily see that happening with. So that means 2 WR's have to be better than Zay for him to be outside the top 6. I could see one WR out of the rest beating out Zay but I don't see two happening. 

Esp considering that Zay was a McD pick who improved a lot last year and is still just 23 years old. It also doesn't help your case that the competition behind Zay is rather weak. I don't see two of those players coming on strong enough in camp/pre-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

All this cut Zay talk is kind of crazy. 

Why are we hyping 3 guys who have never had an nfl snap? Easley, Duke and Sills are already getting crazy hype on here and they were passed over by every team in the league. I get all 3 have some potential to blossom but man this is setting up to be the ultimate freak out on this board when/if they’re cut and tried to stash them on the practice squad. One of them might make it but I can see the freak out on here already if Zay sticks and they cut some of these new guys 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

Why are we hyping 3 guys who have never had an nfl snap? Easley, Duke and Sills are already getting crazy hype on here and they were passed over by every team in the league. I get all 3 have some potential to blossom but man this is setting up to be the ultimate freak out on this board when/if they’re cut and tried to stash them on the practice squad. One of them might make it but I can see the freak out on here already if Zay sticks and they cut some of these new guys 

This will now be like the 100th time I have said this.  

No one is claiming he will be cut.  I said in my original post I believed would trade Zay if he wasn’t able to to secure one of the top 3 spots on the Seth chart.  Never did I say he would be cut or predicted him being cut.  They would obviously keep him over cutting him if he proved to be one of the 6 best WRs on the team.

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

The Duke hype reminds me of DaRick Rogers. Not sure how many of you remember. There have been others as well. The obsession with the random guys out there that are better than everyone else on our roster...

I remember Darick and his crazy potential- i was one of those excited and shocked when he got cut. I will wait to see what happens here but i doubt Zay is cut or traded.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

ITS DRAFT NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...with the draft here, who is going to be the next WR addition to the Bills roster that bumps Zay off into a trade?  :nana:

My mom?

Someone else?

Or...

Falcons Trade down where we swap picks and pick up a WR?

Or...

A hotel window on the top floor?

So many options :nana:

Or None at all.  

• Haha (+1) 1

well since I haven't read every page let me dump this Dec article 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/how-zay-jones-rebuilt-confidence-let-his-game-emerge

One of Jones’ teammates, who witnessed the receiver’s rookie year first-hand, then spent the first half of 2018 in Dallas, before re-joining the Bills last month, sees a Zay Jones who carries himself with a purpose.

“What jumped out at me the most when I got back was the look in his eye, the pep in his step, the confidence,” said fellow receiver Deonte Thompson. “From the time I walked back in the building a few weeks ago his confidence has made him a totally different dude. His confidence is at another level right now.”

The first Bills receiver with 50 receptions or more since 2016 and the team leader in catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, Jones established himself as a steady and reliable option in Buffalo’s passing game despite a lot of change at the quarterback position.

“He gets better every day. He works his tail off,” said Josh Allen. “He comes into practice, he never takes a rep off, and it’s showing in games because he’s finding ways to get it done, creating more separation, it seems like, every game. When he’s got that type of attitude and work ethic, the chemistry just kind of becomes natural the more you throw to him."

since 2016........  Now, just who was the QB in 16 and 17??????    I jusT can'T remember his name 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

well since I haven't read every page let me dump this Dec article 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/how-zay-jones-rebuilt-confidence-let-his-game-emerge

One of Jones’ teammates, who witnessed the receiver’s rookie year first-hand, then spent the first half of 2018 in Dallas, before re-joining the Bills last month, sees a Zay Jones who carries himself with a purpose.

“What jumped out at me the most when I got back was the look in his eye, the pep in his step, the confidence,” said fellow receiver Deonte Thompson. “From the time I walked back in the building a few weeks ago his confidence has made him a totally different dude. His confidence is at another level right now.”

The first Bills receiver with 50 receptions or more since 2016 and the team leader in catches, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns, Jones established himself as a steady and reliable option in Buffalo’s passing game despite a lot of change at the quarterback position.

“He gets better every day. He works his tail off,” said Josh Allen. “He comes into practice, he never takes a rep off, and it’s showing in games because he’s finding ways to get it done, creating more separation, it seems like, every game. When he’s got that type of attitude and work ethic, the chemistry just kind of becomes natural the more you throw to him."

since 2016........  Now, just who was the QB in 16 and 17??????    I jusT can'T remember his name 

Zay will lead the team in receiving. People here are way too hard on him.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Zay will lead the team in receiving. People here are way too hard on him.

I want to give him a 3rd year. I could have seen it going down had we targeted WRs in the draft after picking up a lot of FAs but I'm glad we went trenches and potential playmakers at the RB and TE position. 

Zay's clearly had enough production to merit keeping him on the roster and see improvement. More consistency on the flashes he's shown us so far of what he's capable of, and less mental errors. That all inevitably gets better as a WR matures. Years 3 or 4 we'll truly have a proper evaluation of his abilities in the NFL.

Granted we're weak at the position on paper, it's contingent on Foster maintaining how he finished last year and Zay improving. We absolutely needed depth in veterans John Brown and Cole Beasley which is what I wanted to address first and foremost. Don't want to trot out WRs that don't belong on the field like these last 3 years: put a floor on our worst WR, so that Josh Allen can spread the ball around better. JA doesn't have an established weapon which he needs desperately. But we've otherwise adequately addressed many offensive problems we had last year.

Maybe the offense still won't be good enough next year, but it won't be as big a liability to go 6-10. Next year I want to see an above average offense and a winning formula based on the defense or offense. It depends on how much Zay improves, which he will to some degree undoubtedly, Foster, and JA. And having proper knowledge of Zay's place in the NFL will give us a good opportunity next offseason to truly beef up the WR corps if needed.

I wanted to see him with the Bills in his 3rd year. It would have been disappointing getting rid of him for anything other than a top tier WR like DHop or Julio. I'd rather see Zay's jump in performance next year, than bet on a 2nd round or later rookie's jump into the NFL. Zay's done enough to earn that.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Duke has had NFL Snaps and had other suitors.  That being said I really like Zay Jones.

Zay isn't a good option as a #1 guy, but he is a great #3 or #4 at worst. He may still be a solid #2. He had a bad start but has shown growth. I don't see them parting ways this year. If he has a bad year, then maybe next offseason, but I think the chances of him being off the roster week 1 are slim.

Edited by brianb386
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

What if we had cut Moulds after year two.  Moulds 2nd year, 29 catches, 294 yards, 0 TD's. 

The difference was that rookies and 2 year players were not expected to perform like they are now.

A player of Moulds level coming out in draft now would be a godsend for some OC's.

15 hours ago, ngbills said:

What about the Duke reminds you of Rogers?