Early Draft Thoughts

Dkollidas

I’m about to state the obvious, what happens in free agency is the first thing that effects draft scenarios. The next is how the draft falls. Both of those things are huge unknowns. If they pick up a couple of offensive linemen in free agency and the best player available if an offense lineman do they take him? Do they trade out? Is there a willing trading partner? It is complicated, that’s why the prognosticators are so often wrong. It is also what makes it fun.

A moderate size trade down to the mid teens would my preferred option pre free agency. Pick up a 2nd from someone like Washington. You still have a load of good day 1 starters, and this draft is deep on day 2.

18 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I don't see them moving down. We already have 10 draft picks to potentially sign.

People say that, but a number of them are garbage picks. We only have our normal 3 on days 1 and 2.

19 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

My prediction is that they will try to move down with their first pick, then move back into the bottom of the first with their Second pick..

That's a good possibility IMO.  I believe they will trade down(washington makes so much sense).  The Bills picks I think are 9, 40,75,106,131,137,148,168,203,206.  Beane might drop to 15, pick up Washingtons pick 46, and then use later round picks to trade up and secure player rated high on board late 1st/2nd thus adding 5 of top 106.  This seems Mr Beane's MO

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

A moderate size trade down to the mid teens would my preferred option pre free agency. Pick up a 2nd from someone like Washington. You still have a load of good day 1 starters, and this draft is deep on day 2.

People say that, but a number of them are garbage picks. We only have our normal 3 on days 1 and 2.

They're  not garbage if you consider the talent we've grabbed in the 4th/5th rds the last couple years. But like I said, with that many picks I can see them using some of our late picks to move back up into the 2nd or 3rd to grab some potential starters. I just think it makes more sense than trading down

Someone stated earlier that they like 3rd round picks which i agree with. I would generally prefer 8 picks from 30- 100 than 2 from 1-20 simply due to more likely to hit on 25% of top 100 than 100% of top 20. I am basing this exchange rate on what top ten draft picks usually get.

17 minutes ago, Nanker said:

With it being so cold outside, my early draft thoughts are to make sure all the windows and doors are shut tight, then grab a blanket and a beer and head to the couch and turn on the tube. 

I imagine you’re having a tremendous draft, what with the high winds and all!

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

36 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Someone stated earlier that they like 3rd round picks which i agree with. I would generally prefer 8 picks from 30- 100 than 2 from 1-20 simply due to more likely to hit on 25% of top 100 than 100% of top 20. I am basing this exchange rate on what top ten draft picks usually get.

FWIW, here is a mock draft from CBS Sports that came out today. They have the Bills trading down with Washington whereby the Redskins take Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray at #9 and the Bills take Florida OT Jawaan Taylor at #15 plus the Bills receive Washington's 3rd & 5th Round picks in the process.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-redskins-trade-up-for-kyler-murray-montez-sweat-in-the-top-five/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

15. Buffalo Bills (via MOCK TRADE with Washington)

Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida. The Bills move down and are still able to get a franchise right tackle -- yes, they're a thing now -- in Taylor, a large, nimble, and powerful blocker who'll start immediately. Buffalo gets Washington's third and fifth-round picks in the trade. 

To me its just really hard to predict because we have never seen McBeane with 90 million in cap space.....

Its going to be a fun offseason

10 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

FWIW, here is a mock draft from CBS Sports that came out today. They have the Bills trading down with Washington whereby the Redskins take Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray at #9 and the Bills take Florida OT Jawaan Taylor at #15 plus the Bills receive Washington's 3rd & 5th Round picks in the process.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-redskins-trade-up-for-kyler-murray-montez-sweat-in-the-top-five/?ftag=SPM-16-10abi8e

15. Buffalo Bills (via MOCK TRADE with Washington)

Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida. The Bills move down and are still able to get a franchise right tackle -- yes, they're a thing now -- in Taylor, a large, nimble, and powerful blocker who'll start immediately. Buffalo gets Washington's third and fifth-round picks in the trade. 

If I am trading down that far I want a 2nd round pick

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

To me its just really hard to predict because we have never seen McBeane with 90 million in cap space.....

I agree. The discussions start with at least a 2 or I tell them to go pound sand. If you're coming up for a QB and the whole world knows it, you're paying a bigger premium than usual.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Jawaan Taylor and a 3rd and 5th sounds good to me

4 hours ago, The Senator said:

I get it...it’s the off-season, and everyone wants to discuss the draft.

But the draft is 3 months away!  Shouldn’t we discuss the combine, only 3 weeks away?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-potential-top-10-pick-jeffery-simmons-wont-get-combine-invite-due-to-past-violence-issue/

Have seen Tom Brady's combine video? Combine means nothing!!! Hahahaha....

6 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Have seen Tom Brady's combine video? Combine means nothing!!! Hahahaha....

And Mike Leach has commented that most of the NFL knows nothing about evaluating quarterbacks - otherwise, how could Jamarcus Russell be a #1 pick overall, and Brady a 6th round pick?