Shady McCoy on ESPN First Take

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I see McD giving Shady one final year and a very short leash. If he doesn't show life early in the season he'll be done.

They should have traded him when he had value.  Now, he will be cut and we will get nothing.  Always sell high on a RB.

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok  but answer the question (week 16 not 17....ya got me!)

Yeah, I did get you.  The last game would have made sense.  The penultimate (2nd-to-last)...wouldn't.  It might as well have been any other game this year.  So your "dogging it after week 10" doesn't hold water.

On 1/23/2019 at 11:06 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Then discussed if Rams can pressure and get to Brady.  McCoy said if Rams blitz Brady he will make them pay.

I dunno, the Giants showed you can beat the Pats when getting significant pressure on Brady. 

But I guess you could do what the Eagles did last year & just put up an insane amount of points despite Brady putting up over 500 yards & 3 TD's.

32 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I dunno, the Giants showed you can beat the Pats when getting significant pressure on Brady. 

But I guess you could do what the Eagles did last year & just put up an insane amount of points despite Brady putting up over 500 yards & 3 TD's.

McCoy said you got to get pressure, but you need to do so up the middle and with your front 4.  His argument is that if you blitz Brady often he will make you pay.  He is going to find that open guy and quickly.  So thats where McCoy was coming from 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah, I did get you.  The last game would have made sense.  The penultimate (2nd-to-last)...wouldn't.  It might as well have been any other game this year.  So your "dogging it after week 10" doesn't hold water.

Oh he was done by then.  And he missed the bus against NE.

but hey, just a coincidence that he missed a bus for the first time as a Bill that day right? Has to be...you’ve offered no explanation why a seasoned vet and “team leader” does that that day

McCoy sounded bitter talking about the Pro Bowl. Said he had been a real Pro Bowler, not an alternate or a replacement. Why throw shade at KW 95 and other players who are honored to take part? No class at all and an egocentric mentality. 

Edited by Turk71

On 1/23/2019 at 6:56 PM, MJS said:

And then got cut from the team. He also saw significantly reduced snaps as the season went on.

Not going to say that the McBeane was not particularly motivated to try and salvage the KB debacle. Who wouldn't be in their shoes.

They probably saw pretty quickly that KB had not only lost a step, but was showing all the catch radius of a T-Rex and far less compete for the ball than hoped for from a guy with TE size against DBs.

But they did their best to salvage other problem children...Darius too when he felt he would get a pass. They sat him a time or two for the same reasons.

They have been pretty consistent with their message, and I don't see a coach who has lost his team at all.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh he was done by then.  And he missed the bus against NE.

but hey, just a coincidence that he missed a bus for the first time as a Bill that day right? Has to be...you’ve offered no explanation why a seasoned vet and “team leader” does that that day

Wait, I thought Shady missing the bus on the last game of the year was a "big FU to McD."  Now it's "a coincidence" that he missed the team bus against the Cheaters the week before? 

Admit it: you don't even know what you're arguing about anymore and are arguing just to argue.  The facts are that the OL sucked an no RB looked good behind it.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I’m asking you if you think it’s a coincidence.  What’s your guess as to why he missed a bus for the NE game.  Simple question 

It was a huge F you to McD.  

Useless, meaningless speculation. Please stop.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I’m asking you if you think it’s a coincidence.  What’s your guess as to why he missed a bus for the NE game.  Simple question 

It was a huge F you to McD.  

Why that game?  Why not the season ender like you originally thought?  At least that would make sense.  Not the penultimate game. 

And as for it being a "huge F you to McD," I can think of far worse things than being late for a bus.   

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Why that game?  Why not the season ender like you originally thought?  At least that would make sense.  Not the penultimate game. 

And as for it being a "huge F you to McD," I can think of far worse things than being late for a bus.   

Yes.  Why the NE game?

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes.  Why the NE game?

I don't know.  Why not the 2nd Miamiseason-ending game, like you thought it was?  Why not the 1st Jets, which the Bills went into with 7 losses in their first 9 games and were effectively out of the playoff hunt?

20 hours ago, Doc said:

I don't know.  Why not the 2nd Miamiseason-ending game, like you thought it was?  Why not the 1st Jets, which the Bills went into with 7 losses in their first 9 games and were effectively out of the playoff hunt?

Why any game?  Has he ever missed a bus before?

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why not any game after they lost their 7th game in 9 games and the season was over?  Why just before the Cheaters game, when he was returning from injury?

On 1/23/2019 at 12:27 PM, Gugny said:

Yet Kelvin Benjamin played half-assed all season, never got benched and stuck around until near the end of the season.

Boy, that McDermott knows how to send a message!!!

McCoy is a team Captain and still has his job.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:32 PM, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I'm sure McCoy dogged it especially at the end. Sure there's more to it since coaches give preferential treatment to vets.

Bet there's something more to it.. like being late several times on top of dogging it and generally giving up on the year (which again, can definitely see a vet like McCoy wondering what's the point when he's been around so much. Nevertheless a bad example on a young team)

Favre being the laziest veteran for over 10 years on the Packers was one of the NFL's best kept secrets.. unless it wasn't as much of a secret as I had thought.. idk. His biography, Gunslinger, was pretty enlightening to me and really hilarious at how many POS stories he got away with for being the top dog in Green Bay for so long.

The Falcons chapter was epic. Nobody ever seems to remember he was the OG Johnny Manziel in Atlanta.

He isnt just a Vet he is a Captain.  Even McCoy suggested such when he got benched.  Higher standard.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

On 1/23/2019 at 8:50 PM, Doc said:

I don't know why he'd miss that bus.  Let me guess: he was planning his next ex-girlfriend beatdown?

He missed the bus, he had to be penalized.  Maybe the "vet break" was just missing a single play?

And Shady doesn't call the plays/determine the number of carries he gets. 

Careful their is a poster on here that will track you down and stalk you for a day for that kind of humor.  As if you make anykind of joke like that it means you condone such behavior.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:12 PM, Turk71 said:

McCoy sounded bitter talking about the Pro Bowl. Said he had been a real Pro Bowler, not an alternate or a replacement. Why throw shade at KW 95 and other players who are honored to take part? No class at all and an egocentric mentality. 

He probably didnt mean it like that.  If anything he is trying to rebuild his confidence through self talk but putting down others isnt healthy.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:40 PM, LeGOATski said:

I mean, he already voiced his frustrations multiple times and indirectly blamed his o-line (deservedly so). 

You're expecting him to publicly voice displeasure with the coaches, I guess?

There's consequences if you're late to the bus. I would expect McDermott to hold every player to the same standards, regardless of vet/superstar status. Why do you think the coach wouldn't do that? "Schoolboy him" was an odd choice of words.

Captains should be held to a higher standard.

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

WEO you're really not making sense here. 

If someone habitually is on time for things, and then one time is late, does that somehow make it more likely to be an agenda or a gesture, rather than, you konw, a mistake?

Even habitually on time people are late sometimes.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why are you so fixated on this one reported tardiness? Even if it was done out of frustration or pique it was a one time incident. The HC dealt with it and he accepted the symbolic punishment in an adult fashion. The incident and punishment were handled/discussed in a face to face meeting with the boss (HC) and him coming to an understanding. The HC wanted to make the point that everyone on the roster from top to bottom was going to be held accountable. And the person involved in the minor violation accepted the fact that he was in the wrong and the punishment was warranted. When all is said and done this minor infraction was handled well by all the parties involved.  

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Careful their is a poster on here that will track you down and stalk you for a day for that kind of humor.  As if you make anykind of joke like that it means you condone such behavior.

He probably didnt mean it like that.  If anything he is trying to rebuild his confidence through self talk but putting down others isnt healthy.

Captains should be held to a higher standard.

I've been here long enough that I just don't GAF.  And I've already been stalked and put him in his place.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If someone habitually is on time for things, and then one time is late, does that somehow make it more likely to be an agenda or a gesture, rather than, you konw, a mistake?

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Why are you so fixated on this one reported tardiness? Even if it was done out of frustration or pique it was a one time incident. The HC dealt with it and he accepted the symbolic punishment in an adult fashion. The incident and punishment were handled/discussed in a face to face meeting with the boss (HC) and him coming to an understanding. The HC wanted to make the point that everyone on the roster from top to bottom was going to be held accountable. And the person involved in the minor violation accepted the fact that he was in the wrong and the punishment was warranted. When all is said and done this minor infraction was handled well by all the parties involved.  

It makes sense when you realize he just doesn't like Shady. 

48 minutes ago, Doc said:

You can dislike a player and still be able to exhibit a degree of objectivity and proportionality regarding an incident. Zealotry can skew one's ability to assess and judge. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You can dislike a player and still be able to exhibit a degree of objectivity and proportionality regarding an incident. Zealotry can skew one's ability to assess and judge. 

Apparently not everyone can.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:44 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he has been penalized for missing a bus any other season than his worst, where he was not getting the touches he gets, where’s he’s watching his rookie QB run wild and his own impact diminish...then, yeah, that seems like a gesture.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:28 PM, Doc said:

I've been here long enough that I just don't GAF.  And I've already been stalked and put him in his place.

You did what? Lol. You couldn’t even venture an answer to the simplest and most obvious question.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:21 PM, JohnC said:

Coached benched the only superstar for missing the bus.  Both were sending a message to each other.  Pretty straightforward John. 

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Coached benched the only superstar for missing the bus.  Both were sending a message to each other.  Pretty straightforward John. 

WEO, You are perplexingly taking a trivial issue and magnifying it and making it into a  broader statement. For one, McCoy is not a star. That's an exaggeration. His sparkling playing days are over with. The incident happened in a season where he was ineffectual, much of the due to the fact he was running behind a dysfunctional line. So maybe he expressed his frustration by being late for the bus. The HC called him out for his tardiness and symbolically punished him by not starting him. Both he and the HC met in the HC's office and hashed it out. That's the end of the story. 

You act as if McCoy is still a primary and influential player. The reality is he is no longer that type of player. What you are doing with your inexplicable fixation on this one incident that was appropriately handled is wasting your zealotry on triviality. Let it go and find another more worthy cause. 

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

WEO, You are perplexingly taking a trivial issue and magnifying it and making it into a  broader statement. For one, McCoy is not a star. That's an exaggeration. His sparkling playing days are over with. The incident happened in a season where he was ineffectual, much of the due to the fact he was running behind a dysfunctional line. So maybe he expressed his frustration by being late for the bus. The HC called him out for his tardiness and symbolically punished him by not starting him. Both he and the HC met in the HC's office and hashed it out. That's the end of the story. 

You act as if McCoy is still a primary and influential player. The reality is he is no longer that type of player. What you are doing with your inexplicable fixation on this one incident that was appropriately handled is wasting your zealotry on triviality. Let it go and find another more worthy cause. 

He's not??

Well, that would be news to him....and many here on this board.

I'm actually the one arguing he's no longer a primary or effective player, "bad O-line" or not.  In fact, that's my point.  I think McD sees what we see.  He's no longer able to make his own yards.  McCoy is unhappy with his diminished stature on the offense.  Since no one has ventured a guess as to why he would miss the bus at this point in his career and in this season, other than intentionally, I simply concluded he was acting out and the HC didn't appreciate it.  It's not a hard concept to conceive of, really.

We will see on draft day how the staff reacts further.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's not??

Well, that would be news to him....and many here on this board.

I'm actually the one arguing he's no longer a primary or effective player, "bad O-line" or not.  In fact, that's my point.  I think McD sees what we see.  He's no longer able to make his own yards.  McCoy is unhappy with his diminished stature on the offense.  Since no one has ventured a guess as to why he would miss the bus at this point in his career and in this season, other than intentionally, I simply concluded he was acting out and the HC didn't appreciate it.  It's not a hard concept to conceive of, really.

We will see on draft day how the staff reacts further.

You are missing the point. Whether his tardiness was intentional or not, so what! If he was unhappy about his diminished role and having to play behind an incapable line, so what! If he was acting out because of his frustration with his situation, so what! What's so unusual about a former primary player having a year in which his role and performance have precipitously declined? You are treating this trivial incident as a blockbuster event. It's not. Every team and coach has to deal with players' roles changing. That's simply part of the transition of older players declining and younger players are ascending. There is nothing unusual here that doesn't occur with every team in the league.  

I don't know why your critical juices are so activated about this one incident. There was no recurring pattern of bad behavior. It was a one time incident that was quickly dealt with. Just let it freaking go!: 

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I understand your point, but my separate issue with Shady would be he's still getting $$$ as if he is. So do you think that he'll be willing to restructure his K accordingly? I doubt it. That together with his personal issues (who knows what will happen with his civil case messes) and this incident trivial that it may have been, is also why I'm guessing RB gets addressed this offseason enough to make him expendable, regardless of the FO's statements about his 2019 status. I know I know, we have the cap room to keep him...but why would a team keep a player just for the sake of keeping him if the money doesn't justify it? I don't know, but I think there will be a few more chapters written in this story before the season opens. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/23/2019 at 5:48 PM, FLFan said:

Well, he was called out by the coach publically, had his snaps dramatically reduced, and was cut.  Seems like a pretty strong message to me.  ?

We had to rim the fat off that route.

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I understand your point, but my separate issue with Shady would be he's still getting $$$ as if he is. So do you think that he'll be willing to restructure his K accordingly? I doubt it. That together with his personal issues (who knows what will happen with his civil case messes) and this incident trivial that it may have been, is also why I'm guessing RB gets addressed this offseason enough to make him expendable, regardless of the FO's statements about his 2019 status. I know I know, we have the cap room to keep him...but why would a team keep a player just for the sake of keeping him if the money doesn't justify it? I don't know, but I think there will be a few more chapters written in this story before the season opens. 

I'm not sure if he would be willing to restructure his contract or if the organization is even considering it. Why be bothered with his hefty salary for one more year when there is plenty of room to handle it? I doubt that he is going to be a prime or workhorse back any longer. Those days are in the past for him. That is not to say that he can't be effective as a situational runner and a receiver out of the backfield. This team has few offensive threats in its arsenal.  I still believe that he can be one for the short term. 

Some people are trying to portray him as a problem on the team. He has not been. Whatever issues he has had off the field have not affected how he has worked and behaved with the team. It wouldn't be surprising if the Bills bring in another challenging runner or two. That wouldn't be surprising because it is part of the normal rhythm of rosters constantly being changed.