Thanks in advance to all of you wannabe scouts...

eball

...and I say that with genuine sincerity.  I have neither the time nor energy to research incoming draft classes and I do enjoy the threads recapping all-star game performances and providing opinions, even if it is amateur scouting.  Thanks!

• Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Well my amateur butt will be in the seats at the senior bowl practice come Thursday.

You best believe I’m gonna share my 2 cents on who impressed me. 

Ill be be sure to keep an eye on our coaches too. See where they’re focusing their attention. I want to look for other things as well. Such as, how these players interact off the field, to coaching, to other players etc. not just if he can run fast and catch.

I got a list of guys I want to look at. Should be a great day.

• Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Well my amateur butt will be in the seats at the senior bowl practice come Thursday.

Ill be be sure to keep an eye on our coaches too. See where they’re focusing their attention. I want to look for other things as well. Such as, how these players interact off the field, to coaching, to other players etc. not just if he can run fast and catch.

Keep an eye on them Notre Dame boys. :thumbsup:

Te'Von Coney - LB

Drue Tranquill - LB

Dexter Williams - RB

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, eball said:

...and I say that with genuine sincerity.  I have neither the time nor energy to research incoming draft classes and I do enjoy the threads recapping all-star game performances and providing opinions, even if it is amateur scouting.  Thanks!

what he said

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Keep an eye on them Notre Dame boys. :thumbsup:

Te'Von Coney - LB

Drue Tranquill - LB

Dexter Williams - RB

I love the way Tranquil plays, but he doesn’t seem big enough.  He could be a wrecking ball at safety.

4 hours ago, eball said:

Just go look at Walterfootball.com.  That’s the draft bible all the message board scouts on here refer to.  

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I love the way Tranquil plays, but he doesn’t seem big enough.  He could be a wrecking ball at safety.

He reminds me alot of Harrison Smith. Smith was a tweener linebacker too small to play it in the nfl and has transitioned nicely to say the least at safety. Very similar highly instinctive player. Will be nice to see if he can make it in the big leagues too.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, eball said:

Speaking only for myself it is very amateur haha. But I enjoy it and if others here find some benefit then all the better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Just go look at Walterfootball.com.  That’s the draft bible all the message board scouts on here refer to.  

I think this sells a number of contributors short.  I know that there are some here that watch a lot of game tape and some also that have significant backgrounds in playing or coaching.  I think they are doing much more than reading walterfootball.com.

I don't put myself in the above category, but I do watch game tapes of some of the top prospects that are discussed here and I've long read many of the top draft publications including Ourlads, Draft Insiders, Optimum Scouting and I used to read GM Jr by Russ Lande (who has been a NFL scout) and ProFootball Weekly's publication when Joel Buschbaum was doing the scouting.

I appreciate reading the opinions of the folks on here that are really keeping on top of the prospects and watching for themselves.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think this sells a number of contributors short.  I know that there are some here that watch a lot of game tape and some also that have significant backgrounds in playing or coaching.  I think they are doing much more than reading walterfootball.com.

I don't put myself in the above category, but I do watch game tapes of some of the top prospects that are discussed here and I've long read many of the top draft publications including Ourlads, Draft Insiders, Optimum Scouting and I used to read GM Jr by Russ Lande (who has been a NFL scout) and ProFootball Weekly's publication when Joel Buschbaum was doing the scouting.

I appreciate reading the opinions of the folks on here that are really keeping on top of the prospects and watching for themselves.

I highly doubt it.  Most people watch YouTube highlights and look at sites like Walter.  90+% of mocks you see on here you can easily match what rounds they have their picks to what rounds Walter etc projects their players.  Been noticing for years.  It’s fun to read and all but by no means do i take it serious. 

2 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I highly doubt it.  Most people watch YouTube highlights and look at sites like Walter.  90+% of mocks you see on here you can easily match what rounds they have their picks to what rounds Walter etc projects their players.  Been noticing for years.  It’s fun to read and all but by no means do i take it serious. 

For those interested, someone posted this thread in the college football section.  It has a link to a spreadsheet that contains many draft prospects with links to game cut-ups for many of the prospects.  The links aren't just to Youtube highlights - most are every play from full games with emphasis on following the specific prospect. 

I think it is fun to watch these, but I caution those who haven't watched before- even very good players don't have an impact on a high percentage of plays in a full game.  If you go to watch some of the WRs, you will see many plays where they are just running routes which may be decoys or secondary or tertiary options on plays.  You will also see lots of plays of them blocking (or faking it).

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

I am totally in the same boat, here.  I don't watch much college football at all and I rely on this place to learn about prospects.

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Speaking only for myself it is very amateur haha. But I enjoy it and if others here find some benefit then all the better. 

Dude -- your breakdowns are something I look forward to in particular (even if I still think you got it wrong on Josh). ;)

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Dude -- your breakdowns are something I look forward to in particular (even if I still think you got it wrong on Josh). ;)

At this point I think I got it wrong on Josh too. I massively underestimated how much of a weapon his legs would be. I thought he might be a big Ben type who could spin out of sacks and keep plays alive but I actually said "isn't going to beat you with his legs like Tyrod" the knowledge that he can would have lifted him a round grade wise because it significantly raises the floor. Now I still think he remains a work in progress as a passer but it going in the right direction. So far this year I feel like I have a pretty good view on the mid round guys but work to do on Haskins and obviously Murray. 

8 hours ago, eball said:

I would like to warn you that if I say anything about it that you need to know I am clueless... and I too am being genuinely sincere too.

Edited by fansince88

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The way the league is going now with the lighter, faster LB's playing the outside I could see him making it. I could also see him succeeding as an in-the-box Safety. I don't see him fairing well in coverage at all if he draws a WR. At the least he can be a backup player and a ST ace imo. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I do read draft analysts (gave up with Walter years and years ago) but I also watch hours upon hours game footage. Without Draft Breakdown these days it is even harder to find too you really have to scour for good stuff. Just on the Quarterbacks alone last year I watched well over two days worth of game footage. 

I use the draft sites generally (and Blokes and Bandit on here occasionally) to put me onto guys who I might not have seen during the season when I really do tend to focus on watching the teams with QB prospects. But I always follow that up with going and finding material to watch. 

I am an amateur. But I don't parrot opinions whether they are WalterFootball's or anyone else's. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Do you live in Mobile?