OT Rule needs to change!

BuffaloButt

8 hours ago, wppete said:

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

Oh gods - please no.  I absolutely hate the college OT rules. 

I prefer the sudden death you get in the NFL - coin toss be damned. 

Get a stop - teams have been doing that consistently for years.

34 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

I would bet no one would be complaining if the chiefs won the toss and scored

But most people love to complain all the time

they enjoy complaining more than enjoying a great football game 

1 minute ago, Chris66 said:

I thought for the most part the refs were pretty fair. They missed stuff on both sides.

and if the call went KC's way on the RTP call you would have a much different opinion.  

What crybaby excuse will the Putz use now that they are the favorite?   The poor little underdog whining isn't there.   

Oh wait the Everybody hates us excuse is still available.  

8 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

The rule that needs changing is what is reviewable.  Too many times critical plays are missed that change the game, ie: massive PI by NRC.  Probably one of the worst missed calls I've ever seen (even worse than "just give it to them").

OT is much fairer than it was before.  Problem was not the coin toss, but the defense not making a stop.

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

and if the call went KC's way on the RTP call you would have a much different opinion.  

What crybaby excuse will the Putz use now that they are the favorite?   The poor little underdog whining isn't there.   

Oh wait the Everybody hates us excuse is still available.  

Its basically a pick at 1.5

9 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

Every other sports league manages to have fair overtime rules, except the NFL. The world didn't end when college football adopted it's even-possession rules. But oh no, we can't have that in the NFL! It takes too long. Meanwhile they will stop the game for 5 minutes to do a video review on how much time is left on the clock.

9 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Yeah, I was originally against it a few years back but I think it needs to be the same as the college OT which I was also against when they first started doing it. The college OT has grown on me alot and has become very exciting and fair for each team, so yeah, I think the NFL should adopt the college OT system. 

I like the old rules which is against what the OP stated.  Bottom line is I hate ties in the regular season, and play OT until someone scores.  I know that part was not part of the old rules.  The game would. Finish just as fast and we’d have no ties.

im still surprised both away teams won.  You’ll kind expect it with the Pats, but was surprised NO lost in the dome.

Time to root for the Rams as I’m sick of the Pats in the SB.  It’s getting boring.

i disagree.  you either stop them from scoring a TD or you lose.  if you allow the other team to have a chance to answer with a TD when does it end?  Does the team that scored 1st get a chance to answer with their own 2nd TD?  If they do, and they get the matching TD, does the other team get another chance to answer with another TD?  And on and on.

Bring back sudden death, I say.

8 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/6/16042116/nfl-overtime-rules-super-bowl-li-patriots-falcons-62316a6f8e3c

Now almost 2 years old, but this study showed that ever since the NFL's new OT system was introduced, the team winning the OT coin toss wins the game 54.8 percent of the time. That's not terrible, but it still probably gives more of an advantage to a random event than most of us would like to see. And I suspect it's getting worse - as offenses become more dominant, the percentage of drives resulting in a touchdown (and hence a sudden death) is going up. So it's time to revisit the rule. And while I'm not happy it benefited the Pats (again) today (as it did in the Super Bowl a couple years ago), this is not about sour grapes. It's about trying to ensure as even a playing field as possible.

That just shows the the coin toss means very little.  The team winning the coin toss won 54.8 % when you excluded ties - why exclude ties.  With the ties included the team winning the coin toss won just over 51%. Yes they have a slight advantage, but it is minor.

Looking at this year and more offense - including playoffs the team that won the toss won exactly 50% of the time.  Even in the playoffs - one team one the coin toss and won and the other winner lost the coin toss and forced a turnover.

The article nicely shows that the college rules are no better just favor the team that goes second by a similar margin.  The team going second with the advantage Wins 54.9% of the time.  Slightly higher percentage the other way because it gives the second team a major advantage.

So what is your alternative that gives an exactly equal 50/50 chance to win because there is not one - either way one team will have an advantage of about 5% to win.

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I do agree both teams should get the ball once.  Teams win and lose games, not half of a team.  And when Pats won the coin toss, they got to put their best unit (offense) on the field against the Chiefs worst unit (defense).  And with a TD, Chiefs don’t get the same opportunity to put their best unit (offense) against Pats worst unit (defense).  

So is it really fair that a coin decides how much of an advantage or disadvantage each team has in a game this important?  

Shame Mahomes doesn’t get a chance to dual Brady in OT after such a great game.  

That would be fine, but would then give a new advantage to the team that goes second.  It is why in college OT the team on defense first wins a higher percentage by a similar margin as the NFL coin toss winners.

I could live with both teams getting a chance, but it does not bother me at all that they don’t.  I actually like the rules now that give a TD a win and a FG the ball back to the other team.

At some point someone has and advantage and someone needs to make a stop whether it is the first drive in OT or the third.  I just do not get to caught up in an advantage that over the years has been shown to be consistently under 5% different between the two outcomes.

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Both teams had a chance.  The Pats had a chance to score, the Chiefs had a chance to stop them. 

this isn't against you in particular (unless it does ;) ) 

How this "argument" was similar / different with the Buffalo Miami OT game where TT had 300 yards passing and the Bills Lost.  

All they had to do was score and stop Miami on 2 (maybe 3) drives.

I think their could be some changes in overtime still. Is anyone really a fan of a coin toss still potentially deciding the outcome of the game, especially in the playoffs? 

The team that gets the ball first has a chance to seal the deal with a TD. I know, the D has to stop them etc... but just think, a bad DPI call and that team is on the doorstep of victory.

Now to be brutally fair, the Chiefs D was grose last night. They gave up over 500 yards of total offense- a buck 75 on the ground!

I for one would like to see a normal, full quater of football played in overtime (at least in the playoffs). What would you all propose or would you rather keep things as is? 

Mods- noticed this was being discussed already- please merge. My apologies.

Edited by billsfan_34