Jump to content
BuffaloButt

OT Rule needs to change!

Recommended Posts

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

  • Like (+1) 8
  • meh 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, Na. Play better defense. Make a stop.

Both the chiefs and falcons LOST BECAUAE THEY COUDNT MAKE A STOP.

BOTH THE CHIEFS AND FALCONS HAD OVER 90 PLAYS RAN ON THEM.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They just have to change it to when the team I’m cheering for takes the lead, then the game is over

 

They get a million chances until they take the lead then the game is over and I win

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Lol, Na. Play better defense. Make a stop.

Exactly. How many 3rd and long conversions did the Chiefs give up on that drive? At least 3 I can recall. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, H2o said:

Exactly. How many 3rd and long conversions did the Chiefs give up on that drive? At least 3 I can recall. 

 

3 and then 3 runs up the gut for 20 plus to cinch it

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct.  The team I want should clearly win! 

  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Augie said:

You are correct.  The team I want should clearly win! 

 

The old way it was less than one percent favour to the coin toss winner taking the W, sometimes with multiple possessions 

 

but fans have a cognitive disorder that makes them think it was 90 percent of the time

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BuffaloButt said:

The OT rule needs  to change giving the other team an opportunity to match a TD scored.  Falcons & Chiefs both lost due to a fricken coin toss!

Agreed. Maybe not in the regular season, but definitely in the playoffs. The new rule was created in a lower scoring environment out of concern that the winner of the coin toss would have too great an advantage because new era kickers could easily hit a 55 yarder: take possession at the 25, gain 37 yards, kick a FG, game over. Now that offenses score - and score touchdowns - at a significantly greater rate than even a few years ago, the coin toss is again becoming too great a factor.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

  • Like (+1) 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Lol, Na. Play better defense. Make a stop.

Both the chiefs and falcons LOST BECAUAE THEY COUDNT MAKE A STOP.

BOTH THE CHIEFS AND FALCONS HAD OVER 90 PLAYS RAN ON THEM.

 

 

 

Unless I'm mistaken, on the overtime drive the Chiefs D failed to stop the Pats at least 3 times on 3rd and around 10.  

 

I prefer the straight-up sudden death OT rules of the past.

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One AFL title game the coin toss winner gave away the ball and the wind and still won

 

we will kick to the clock...

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wppete said:

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

 

An abominable gimmick made worse by counting all the TDs into regulation stats

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 4
  • meh 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't see any reason why - in the playoffs - we don't simply play it NBA or soccer style and add on a normal 15 minute period. The chances of a tie after the additional period are low enough that it would probably resolve 80-90% of ties without anyone whining about "fairness." It can't be unfair because it's just a continuation of the same game with the same rules, not based on something random like which side a coin lands on. If it's tied after the additional period, well, that's when some other rule more arbitrary rule can come into play.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wppete said:

The NFL needs to adopt the NCAA Overtime rules. Way more entertaining and is fair for both teams. 

Yeah but what if my team doesn't play well on their first possession resulting in a punt or turn over on downs?  Do I then get to piss and moan and demand that the 15 minute OT period be completed?  After all I'm going to be super pissed if my team doesn't win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like traffic lights, but only when they are green

 

 

  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.

 

Stop them from going 75 yards

 

Stop 3rd and longs.

 

Nothing wrong with the rule. Kcs defence needed just to just make 1 more play and they couldn’t 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, the rule needs to be changed to match TD's until Brady retires, then it can stay how it is now!!😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Lol, Na. Play better defense. Make a stop.

Both the chiefs and falcons LOST BECAUAE THEY COUDNT MAKE A STOP.

BOTH THE CHIEFS AND FALCONS HAD OVER 90 PLAYS RAN ON THEM.

Exactly!

 

Defenses and special teams are part of the team too.

 

No wonder the Patriots captains yelled "WE WANT THE BALL" with the Chiefs' mix of awesome offense and horrible defense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I really don't see any reason why - in the playoffs - we don't simply play it NBA or soccer style and add on a normal 15 minute period. The chances of a tie after the additional period are low enough that it would probably resolve 80-90% of ties without anyone whining about "fairness." It can't be unfair because it's just a continuation of the same game with the same rules, not based on something random like which side a coin lands on. If it's tied after the additional period, well, that's when some other rule more arbitrary rule can come into play.

You’ll have someone complain they got the ball one less time that the team that won the toss. 

 

So, a simple fix would be two 8min overtimes where each team has a chance to lead with the ball. At the end of the 2nd OT, the score is final. The coin flip would be to see who gets their chance first or second. 

 

If its still tied, do it all over again 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defense matters.  No defense, no super bowl.  Chiefs defense didn’t make a play.  Chiefs went home.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/6/16042116/nfl-overtime-rules-super-bowl-li-patriots-falcons-62316a6f8e3c

Now almost 2 years old, but this study showed that ever since the NFL's new OT system was introduced, the team winning the OT coin toss wins the game 54.8 percent of the time. That's not terrible, but it still probably gives more of an advantage to a random event than most of us would like to see. And I suspect it's getting worse - as offenses become more dominant, the percentage of drives resulting in a touchdown (and hence a sudden death) is going up. So it's time to revisit the rule. And while I'm not happy it benefited the Pats (again) today (as it did in the Super Bowl a couple years ago), this is not about sour grapes. It's about trying to ensure as even a playing field as possible.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you watched the Chiefs all year, outside of that one playoff game against the Colts they had to win every game in a shootout. Well, defense might not mean much in the modern NFL, but it sure as hell means something in overtime when you lose the coin toss. Chiefs used all their available cap space and draft capital on one side of the ball and paid the price today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

 

The old way it was less than one percent favour to the coin toss winner taking the W, sometimes with multiple possessions 

 

but fans have a cognitive disorder that makes them think it was 90 percent of the time

 

 

 

Pretty sure that the numbers showed that as making long FG's became commonplace the coin toss winner became more relevant. 

 

Still doesn't sway me. Play defense or win in regulation if your defense sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FrenchConnection said:

If you watched the Chiefs all year, outside of that one playoff game against the Colts they had to win every game in a shootout. Well, defense might not mean much in the modern NFL, but it sure as hell means something in overtime when you lose the coin toss. Chiefs used all their available cap space and draft capital on one side of the ball and paid the price today.

Shoulda drafted Tre White last year and passed on Mahomes!  😀

  • Haha (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×