WR Duke Williams of CFL’s Eskimos Signs with Bills

LEBills

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Williams has great potential to be better than any of our current receivers as long as he 1.  Stays healthy and 2. Is actually given a fair chance to compete for a job. He is exactly that type of jump ball receiver we have been lacking the past few years. The problem for him like every player who comes in from the CFL isn't lack of talent, size or speed, its the huge bias against the CFL from the NFL snobs and the lack of good scouting and quality of assessment from many NFL team's front offices.  Too many times players are overlooked in the draft and have to prove themselves in the CFL just to get a shot to come back to the NFL. The Bills would be wise to actually pay way more attention north of the border to add to their depth and get over this stupid bias!

No reason he won't be given a fair chance.  But he's got a big mountain to climb.

1 minute ago, sodbuster said:

Is he really, though?

5 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Williams has great potential to be better than any of our current receivers as long as he 1.  Stays healthy and 2. Is actually given a fair chance to compete for a job. He is exactly that type of jump ball receiver we have been lacking the past few years. The problem for him like every player who comes in from the CFL isn't lack of talent, size or speed, its the huge bias against the CFL from the NFL snobs and the lack of good scouting and quality of assessment from many NFL team's front offices.  Too many times players are overlooked in the draft and have to prove themselves in the CFL just to get a shot to come back to the NFL. The Bills would be wise to actually pay way more attention north of the border to add to their depth and get over this stupid bias!

I think they havr reached into the CFL several times now. They even grabed some QB one time.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

According to NFL Draft Scout, his lowest 40-yard was 4.59.

What pick was wasted?

It's hardly a waste I'm guessing the Bills probably load up the roster with a bunch of WR this offseason and have a major competition at that position. Personally I'm rooting for a guy with his past to do something great but I'm sure there are going to be plenty of candidates at camp this year so he better bring his A game.

18 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

He might not fit in.  Uses his hands way too much to catch the ball ?.  Got too like that bleacher video and his Auburn highlights.  Would love to see him succeed

Hopefuly he doesnt have the same dropped pass incentive the rest of our WRs apparently have.

11 minutes ago, zonabb said:

So a highlight real of a CFL WR preening and prancing around like an idiot more than showing his "skills." Sounds like a waste of a pick. A 5-start recruit who went to Auburn and is in the CFL is there for a reason and I would guess "maturity" is close to the top of that list. No thanks. Book it, he'll be cut. Looks overweight and slow to boot.

How do you feel about santa claus?

Mel Kiper Jr. has D'haquille (Duke) Williams as 'No. 1 guy' at WR for 2016 NFL Draft

"Duke Williams will be the elite guy you would think and you would hope next year," Kiper said during a teleconference Wednesday. "I think when you look at Duke Williams he'll be the No. 1 guy and next year he'll go into the season right there at the top. There's not going to be many receivers rated ahead, if any rated ahead of Duke Williams going into the season. He's going to have a very high grade."

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/auburnauthority/2015/01/21/me-kiper-jr-has-dhaquille-williams-as-no-1-guy-at-wr-for-2016-nfl-draft/22112071/

Edited by wppete

5 hours ago, Doc said:

There’s your #1 WR. 

A CFL guy who runs a 4.65 just stepping in as a #1 huh?   Thats mighty slow by NFL standards.  Tight end speed.

Odds are he doesnt make the team, but imagine if he actually did and was great.  He and Foster our top 2 receivers, one from Canada and one off the practice squad, burning no draft picks.

39 minutes ago, zonabb said:

So a highlight real of a CFL WR preening and prancing around like an idiot more than showing his "skills." Sounds like a waste of a pick. A 5-start recruit who went to Auburn and is in the CFL is there for a reason and I would guess "maturity" is close to the top of that list. No thanks. Book it, he'll be cut. Looks overweight and slow to boot.

This kind of player is all we are allowed to get....Ralph is cheap!!

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It is awesome! Kid will make it somewhere in the NFL, at least as a 3rd/4th guy, and lord knows we need a couple of those.

He's got swag too and Lord knows we need a couple of those as well! Being the best in the CFL will work towards the process for sure.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He had been suspended twice at Auburn before the final incident, where, threw a drink at a woman at a bar, got thrown out, got let back in and then punched out 2 security guards, a bar back and a patron.

Proof that he can handle a double-team, no prob!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Looks like the Bills are going to leave no stone unturned in the quest to find talent.  Let’s hope this works out well.

It's a bold strategy Cotton.  

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dhaquille-williams?id=2555210

Besides the off field problems, the scouting reporting on him is that he isn't very athletic and has trouble separating. But he does have good hands and can make contested catches which is mostly what our offense has been missing anyways.

Trouble separating was a theme this season.  If they're going to have guys who struggle separating they had better be able to make contested catches.  Zay had a hard time with this despite the stats he recorded.