Stephon Gilmore - first team AP All-Pro

12 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Quick google proves you wrong:

Jeffery pulled down a diving catch in the second quarter that Foles threaded between safety Patrick Chung and Gilmore, the Patriots’ corner who played three seasons with Jeffery with the Gamecocks after coming to Columbia as part of a program-changing recruiting class under Steve Spurrier.

Yeah, I’m sure it wasn’t Gilmore’s fault Eagles ran at 6.1 yards a clip either. He’s the same player he was in Buffalo, except they ignore his defensive holding in New England. He is a hack in coverage, blames everyone else when he gets burned, and is putrid against the run.

Apparently it was only the 2nd hall in which he allowed zero catches. For the game, he allowed 3 for 19 yards:

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/02/06/how-the-patriots-secondary-graded-in-super-bowl-lii-without-malcolm-butler

#shredded

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yep. That's exactly as I see it. People have a hard time accepting that the Bills could have made a wise decision to let him walk AND Gilmore is among the best corners in football. It's not an either or proposition. 

Absolutely zero complaints with this regime's ability to evaluate and acquire cornerbacks.

But that really isn’t the issue - it’s a matter of opportunity cost and resource allocation - letting Gilmore walk was part of the calculus that included passing on Mahomes and trading down for Tre... that’s the issue.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Bills fans’ evaluations of Gilmore should be used as an objective yardstick of football acumen.

The best coach in history thought he was worth paying to be the top corner in the league, and he proved that decision to be the correct one by playing like the best corner in the league.

But he didn’t smile on draft day and pointed at a teammate once so...

Your post should never happen, for a variety of reasons including that the premise of it was debunked upthread and it’s a nonsense point in any event.  This is what I mean...

Rubbish. How many times did Gilmore make AP all pro team when he was a Bill ? Honestly, it’s possible to not like Gilmore and still know something about football. Not everyone on this board washes Patriot balls and thank goodness for that.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

But that really isn’t the issue - it’s a matter of opportunity cost and resource allocation - letting Gilmore walk was part of the calculus that included passing on Mahomes and trading down for Tre... that’s the issue.

...and a big fan of hindsight apparently

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

Really? For a guy that's been a fan since 73, it's hard to believe you don't remember how quickly our fans changed their tune about Antoine Winfield when he went to Minnesota. He went from gritty and great to small and stone hands.

why would you say I would not of remembered? had not seen him mentioned. I will however admit that the memory isn't what it once was.

time tends to do that.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Apparently it was only the 2nd hall in which he allowed zero catches. For the game, he allowed 3 for 19 yards:

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/02/06/how-the-patriots-secondary-graded-in-super-bowl-lii-without-malcolm-butler

#shredded

very weird. There is another set of stats in the same article with him being targeted 5 times and giving up 1 catch for 7 yards with 2 BUs. I also read in another spot that he had two BUs. Anyway, 3 catches on 6 attempts for 19 yards is good -- 50 percent completion rate for 3.3 ypa.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I'd rather have Mahomes and Gilmore FWIW, but I'm gonna avoid that rabbit hole today.?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not really. It had something to do with drafting White and that can be a sound strategy. Passing on Mahomes was / is an ( organizational) issue but it had zero to do with Gilmore .

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The badmouthing of Gilmore when he was on the Bills was insane. He’s always been a very good and often great corner. Yes, he got too many penalties but many of them were unwarranted. 

I will say.....he’s nothing special when he’s playing with a club for a hand.  

?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

why would you say I would not of remembered? had not seen him mentioned. I will however admit that the memory isn't what it once was.

time tends to do that.

No intention of coming at you personally for memory issues. Just pointing out that as fans, we do tend to change our tune on players once they're no longer part of the team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not really. It had something to do with drafting White and that can be a sound strategy. Passing on Mahomes was / is an ( organizational) issue but it had zero to do with Gilmore .

I also think that short of a franchise tag, which the Bills would never have done (and I don't even know if they could have done it that year), there was no way he was going to resign with Buffalo. He was moving on regardless. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I care about this message board and its overall quality. Individual players that are no longer Bills though? Nah. Happily moved on to the current team.

No I think you care about Gilmore. If you didn’t you wouldn’t post your nonsense every page. 

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

No intention of coming at you personally for memory issues. Just pointing out that as fans, we do tend to change our tune on players once they're no longer part of the team.

lets put it this way. many players, as you've said, tarred and feathered, many. I too am guilty of such. maybe not so harshly, but am none the less. not all, but most. I'll catch a lot of hell (not that it bothers me, like water on a ducks back) for it but I was never on big stuff like the majority and still have nothing bad to say about him. he was one of my favorite players when at alabama and was stoked when he was drafted by the bills. no need to go any further, points have been taken.

as for coming at me personally, never crossed my mind, we're good man.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He was always a very good corner. He had a rough stretch of 5 games his final year some of which was on him but a lot of which was on breakdowns in Rex's laughable scheme. He wad bordering top 10 when he was here, he had a slow first month in New England and has been all but elite ever since. 

Bills fans never warmed to him. I have always believed it was the draft day thing. But he was one of the best players on the team throughout his time here. 

And the draft day thing was a total myth. He was not pissed about the Bills at all, he was being reflective of getting here to being a top ten pick after working his whole life for it, and is a quiet guy a lot of the time when he is not on the field.

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Eh? Where did you get that from? This thread ia mainly saying Gilmore is good, always has been good and was under appreciated by Bills fans while he was here. 

Admittedly I skimmed the thread but seemed like people were complaining we let him go. He is a good corner when he tries, I'm still quite happy he's not on the team because he gave up too often for my liking. Patriots fans hated him last year. This year he turned it around. I don't think he was underappreciated here. Most fans understand he played decently but never reached the level where his attitude was worth it. I can accept a diva on the team but they better be an elite talent. He was just above average while he was here. Very similar to Sammy Watkins honestly. JMO.