Why is the punter always the PK holder on the Bills?

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You are assuming the plan is to get a touchback every time. There are times kicking it short is better.

stats without context is meaningless and usually cherry picked to make some dumb point....

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't recall him hitting the end zones prior to the cheap shot.  You cite the PK being a reason for his crappy kicking this year.  I thought suggesting another reason would be better than simply disagreeing.  Not a hijacking attempt, by any means.

I think initially it was the ST plan to kick short despite our inability to stop the return. (Thank you, Danny.) I think after the cheap shot, it was not an option, he just wasn’t healthy enough. 

But to THIS topic, it came up before and there were comments that the punter was accustomed to catching the long snap (though with different hand placement), the backup QB needs to be with the offense during practice, and you want to keep all the goofball kickers in one place so you can keep an eye on them.  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

The hold can affect accuracy on a field goal attempt.  Distance?  Not so much.  When a 40 yard field goal attempt falls short, but is on a line that would put it between the goal posts if ling enough, that's not the holder.  The place kicker either has no leg, or he's hurting.  I don't think old age suddenly robbed Hauschka of leg strength.  Therefore, I think he's hurting.  The sudden drop of of kickoffs going into the end zone late in the season is further evidence of that.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

^ This.  Anyone know the stats on KO returns that ended inside the 25?

With our ST, I’d be happy to concede the 25 every time! That could add years to my life! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDare said:

I always thought it should be the backup QB in order to add the possibility of a better fake kick --> throw

I think teams have gotten away from fake field goals. Your wing backs and tight ends are usually massive, slow lineman. Pretty sure Harrison Phillips was one on our field goal unit. Most teams would rather just leave their offense, with all their multi million $ skill players on there to go for it on forurth down and such. 

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't recall him hitting the end zones prior to the cheap shot.  You cite the PK being a reason for his crappy kicking this year.  I thought suggesting another reason would be better than simply disagreeing.  Not a hijacking attempt, by any means.

It was Crossmans fault that's why they got rid of him !! 

21 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have to believe the turnover at punter on the Bills this year had some impact on Stephen Hauschka's kicking numbers. Every time we changed punters that new player would assume the place kick holder duty. But why? Why not a backup QB?  Wasn't Frank Reich the holder during the Bills SB years? In the name of consistency, why couldn't Matt Barkley be the holder? 

So based on your concept we'd have started out with Josh Allen as the holder, then Peterman, then Anderson, then we'd have finally got to Barkley.  Or maybe had started out with Peterman since he was the #2 guy, then Allen once Peterman became the starter, then in week 3 back to Peterman again, then Anderson and Barkley.

As was also pointed out Barkley and Anderson were off helping Allen at practice.  Agreed having three punters certainly didn't help, but also likely teams go through backup QB's at a higher rate than punters.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would assume the reasoning is because they want another mostly special teaser do it and the punter has no other role at that time. I cant think of a team that doesnt use the punter.

The bigger question would be why cant the regular centre also be the long snapper? Every team ends up using 2 roster spots on a guy doing a similar job. Wouldn't it be advantageous to have the regular centre be used to also snap during a punt?

Marv Levy once said that long-snapping is the most difficult football skill to coach.  So it must be less similar than one would think.

I would assume they want the long-snapper to focus on that difficult skill, and also not to risk being injured during a routine play.

Are there any football teams that don't have a dedicated long snapper?  I would assume that if all 32 teams burn a roster spot on that role, there must be an advantage.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Marv Levy once said that long-snapping is the most difficult football skill to coach.  So it must be less similar than one would think.

I would assume they want the long-snapper to focus on that difficult skill, and also not to risk being injured during a routine play.

Are there any football teams that don't have a dedicated long snapper?  I would assume that if all 32 teams burn a roster spot on that role, there must be an advantage.

Gotta have a designated long snapper. What an underappreciated position. The ONLY time anyone would mention your name is if you screw up. Seems like such a unique skill that it probably requires year round dedication to long snapping, which is why a position player couldn't just up and do it. The same reason most pitchers can't hit.

21 hours ago, TigerJ said:

The turnover for Buffalo at punter is highly unusual.  Punters are the usual PK holder on most teams for two reasons.  First is the relative stability at the position most of the time.  Second is the fact that punters, more than anyone else on the team are accustomed to catching long snaps.  I expect next season, Buffalo will continue the practice of using their punter as PK holder, and they will have the same punter through the entire season.

The turnover at PK holder obviously had an adverse effect on Hauschka's kicking, but I can't help but think that something else is going on.  Kickers typically have a long life span in the NFL.  Their legs don't just fall off after 10-12 years.  I'm not saying Buffalo should retain him.  I think that's a decision they should and will make in training camp next summer.  

I think he is simply injured. You aren't able to kick 50-yard field goals one week, remain perfectly healthy, and then not be able to hit a 42 yarder the following week. Kickers don't just fall off a cliff like that unless an injury occurs. Now, that injury could cause a guy to never be the same again, but you just don't randomly lose range like that one day. 

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Each of 32 teams sets aside a spot on the 53-man roster for a guy whose only job is to snap the ball on field goals, extra points, and punts. This is new. Until around the turn of the millennium, it was more common for teams to use a backup tight end or linebacker as their long snapper.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/19/17173142/long-snappers-nfl-college-football

22 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would assume the reasoning is because they want another mostly special teaser do it and the punter has no other role at that time. I cant think of a team that doesnt use the punter.

The bigger question would be why cant the regular centre also be the long snapper? Every team ends up using 2 roster spots on a guy doing a similar job. Wouldn't it be advantageous to have the regular centre be used to also snap during a punt?

I have met some special teaser's in my day.  They too, had inconsistent ball handling skills.

;)

• Haha (+1) 1