NFL TV ratings up 5%

papazoid

That's impressive since cord cutting and streaming continues to increase.  The NFL did a better job with getting better matchups for TNF and MNF.  Emergence of young and talented quarterbacks, increased scoring, and legalized sports betting in some states pry also helped.  Plus, boycotts never last long term when you have a decent product on the field.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, papazoid said:

Of the top 50 telecasts since the start of the 2018 season, 46 were NFL games.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25670107/nfl-television-ratings-rose-5-percent-2017

who says the NFL is dying ?

having all the new QBs and with high powered offenses is the likely reason.

but i choose to believe its ALL ALLEN :D

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Have to echo your sentiment. It was obvious to me and anyone else who was paying attention. It seems like all they would talk about the last year or two. This year, they just didn’t talk about it or show it. 

Probably true and extremely brilliant. 

I guess people like lots of points. Couple that with the new QBs that have entered the league and you've got a lot more interest overall. I'm excited about the new breed of QBs like Mahomes, Allen, Mayfield, Goff, Darnold etc. because I've grown tired of the old guard like Brady, Brees and Rodgers.

The insane amount of points does annoy me, but I guess I'm just old. When I was first watching you probably had people who grew up in the 60s saying there was too much passing and points in the 80s. I totally get that times change, and I understand they have to protect players, but I wish they'd ease up on some of these penalties.

A defensive struggle can be such an exciting thing to watch, especially come playoff time, but I guess most people now want to see offenses moving up and down the field with ease, especially when they're watching redzone and checking how their fantasy players are doing. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Anthem drama, CTE news, oversaturation in commercials (dilly fuggin dilly, the Verizon weasel looking dude, and God friended me scar my brain) and the ****show that is nfl officiating all suck but... It's football. It's too popular and entertaining. 

If you don't like it, then don't watch. 

The NFL in 2018 was exciting.  There was the rise of young superstars like Mahomes and "super offenses"like the Chiefs, Rams, and Saints early in the season, and then toward the end of the season, there came the resurrection of teams that had been left of dead earlier in the season: Houston (0-3), Indy (1-5), Baltimore, and Philly.  Plus Baker Mayfield made the Cleveland Browns exciting and relevant, Matt Nagy took the Bears from worst to first, and Andrew Luck returned from injury to be the QB he was supposed to be when he was drafted.  Not only were teams playing for playoff spots right up to the final Sunday, the last playoff berth was determined in the very last game, #256, on Sunday night, not to mention that lots of individual games were edge-of-your-seat back and forth contests like that awesome 54-51 Monday nighter between the Rams and Chiefs.

11 hours ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

A bunch of hillbilly rednecks who never really watched and took interest in football to begin with.

1) cajun = worse then redneck, good job, bocephus.

2). Great, let's knock rural and middle America - aka the majority of the country

3) what an uneducated and unfortunate comment.

4) where is your proof for such a ststement that it was them?

Pretty much, think before you talk.  Or better yet, just don't.  It makes you look bad.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

1) cajun = worse then redneck, good job, bocephus.

2). Great, let's knock rural and middle America - aka the majority of the country

3) what an uneducated and unfortunate comment.

4) where is your proof for such a ststement that it was them?

Pretty much, think before you talk.  Or better yet, just don't.  It makes you look bad.

For the king of sarcasm you don’t get sarcasm.  

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's impressive since cord cutting and streaming continues to increase.  The NFL did a better job with getting better matchups for TNF and MNF.  Emergence of young and talented quarterbacks, increased scoring, and legalized sports betting in some states pry also helped.  Plus, boycotts never last long term when you have a decent product on the field.  

It made a big difference. The NFL must have had some come to Jesus moment this past off season and the media got on board.  There weren't a ton of bad calls that we're over exposed, they were moved on from. The drama that was the NFL soap opera of the last 3 years was forgotten and moved on to the field where players played.

There were fewer issues with broadcast teams, with ESPN Fielding the worst possibly conceived. The commentators commentated and people are finally tuning out the instigators and assclowns who throw bull#### in to the game because honestly, I feel like people miss football.  I definitely do and I'm hoping the playoffs can give me momentum for 2019.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

For the king of sarcasm you don’t get sarcasm.  

That wasn't sarcasm. And if it was I don't know who they are to care to know their general posting personality. Disirregardless, many will agree with clown A and think it has to do with some discourse of rural America hating on billionaire minorities who scream oppression.

But, this is too much topic drift in a direction that always goes sideways and ruined the NFL for the last 3 years.

Here's hoping clowns can keep their shows in the circus and away from the NFL

The NFL ratings are up because those patriots who were turned off by the player's anthem protests in 2017 wandered back in because there were no visible anthem protests in 2018 except a very small minority... and those were not put on TV screens  front and center. The NFL did a good job of minimizing its effects. If the anthem protests start up again in 2019, I can guarantee that those patriots who left last year to cause a deep dip in the ratings will leave again and maybe this time for good.

Just now, tumaro02 said:

The NFL ratings are up because those patriots who were turned off by the player's anthem protests in 2017 wandered back in because there were no visible anthem protests in 2018 except a very small minority... and those were not put on TV screens  front and center. The NFL did a good job of minimizing its effects. If the anthem protests start up again in 2019, I can guarantee that those patriots who left last year to cause a deep dip in the ratings will leave again and maybe this time for good.

Correct! I wouldn’t have initially agreed with this take but after talking with quite a few random fans I found it to true. Both old and young were really turned off by the kneeling.

It's got nothing to do with anthems.

The league got smarter this year and put better games in primetime.  They realized a large portion of their diehards consume Sunday daytime games through Redzone, which gave them the ability to put some of the garbage games together in a window that would still provide entertainment and focused on putting interesting games at night by themselves, especially Thursday night.  This was by far the best season of Thursday night football.  

Some real gems this year:

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2018/TNF

Edited by Chuck Wagon

21 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

That wasn't sarcasm. And if it was I don't know who they are to care to know their general posting personality. Disirregardless, many will agree with clown A and think it has to do with some discourse of rural America hating on billionaire minorities who scream oppression.

But, this is too much topic drift in a direction that always goes sideways and ruined the NFL for the last 3 years.

Here's hoping clowns can keep their shows in the circus and away from the NFL

It was a harmless comment.   Get over it.   

13 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

I wonder if this had anything to do with the networks not broadcasting every single freaking game's national anthem to show who was kneeling.

Wouldn't surprise me.

I think you're right.  Out of sight, out of mind.

My guess is that a few key commercial sponsors spoke plainly with each network about what they needed to continue advertising.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

If you don't like it, then don't watch. 

there are, by the millions...

and a lot of us on here have noted minimal interest in any game but the Bills the last few years...

the sport is dead, like boxing, in 10 years