NFL TV ratings up 5%

papazoid

3 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

The NFL ratings are up because those patriots who were turned off by the player's anthem protests in 2017 wandered back in because there were no visible anthem protests in 2018 except a very small minority... and those were not put on TV screens  front and center. The NFL did a good job of minimizing its effects. If the anthem protests start up again in 2019, I can guarantee that those patriots who left last year to cause a deep dip in the ratings will leave again and maybe this time for good.

The anthem protests didn't hurt NFL TV viewership.  TV viewership across the board was down in 2017.  The number of people who decided to "boycott," the NFL didn't even make a dent.  The NFL was never in trouble due to the protests.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

The anthem protests didn't hurt NFL TV viewership.  TV viewership across the board was down in 2017.  The number of people who decided to "boycott," the NFL didn't even make a dent.  The NFL was never in trouble due to the protests.

cable cutting and a lack of streaming video hurt the NFL

this season it was different as more streaming video became available.  

5 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

The NFL ratings are up because those patriots who were turned off by the player's anthem protests in 2017 wandered back in because there were no visible anthem protests in 2018 except a very small minority... and those were not put on TV screens  front and center. The NFL did a good job of minimizing its effects. If the anthem protests start up again in 2019, I can guarantee that those patriots who left last year to cause a deep dip in the ratings will leave again and maybe this time for good.

I think you may be on to something. I get the feeling many so called Patriots' supporters will be tuning out for good in the coming years.

Edited by LSHMEAB

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

there are, by the millions...

and a lot of us on here have noted minimal interest in any game but the Bills the last few years...

the sport is dead, like boxing, in 10 years

That's YOUR take.  The ratings say differently. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

It made a big difference. The NFL must have had some come to Jesus moment this past off season and the media got on board.  There weren't a ton of bad calls that we're over exposed, they were moved on from. The drama that was the NFL soap opera of the last 3 years was forgotten and moved on to the field where players played.

There were fewer issues with broadcast teams, with ESPN Fielding the worst possibly conceived. The commentators commentated and people are finally tuning out the instigators and assclowns who throw bull#### in to the game because honestly, I feel like people miss football.  I definitely do and I'm hoping the playoffs can give me momentum for 2019.

That wasn't sarcasm. And if it was I don't know who they are to care to know their general posting personality. Disirregardless, many will agree with clown A and think it has to do with some discourse of rural America hating on billionaire minorities who scream oppression.

But, this is too much topic drift in a direction that always goes sideways and ruined the NFL for the last 3 years.

Here's hoping clowns can keep their shows in the circus and away from the NFL

In a category filled with some distinguished nominees, they managed to lap the field.  But long live Booger.  He shouldn't get the ax if there's any mix-up in the booth/sideline.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yes, and new metrics to rate these too, I believe.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think you may be on to something. I get the feeling many so called Patriots' supporters will be tuning out for good in the coming years.

Think you missed the mark on this one.

Edited by Chris66
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

1) cajun = worse then redneck, good job, bocephus.

2). Great, let's knock rural and middle America - aka the majority of the country

3) what an uneducated and unfortunate comment.

4) where is your proof for such a ststement that it was them?

Pretty much, think before you talk.  Or better yet, just don't.  It makes you look bad.

Who was mainly offended by the kneeling black man?  Inner city blacks? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Directv now offered sunday ticket in select markets. 

• Like (+1) 1

Politics were less a part of the game this year.

Plus lots of exciting young QBs

Sports are a great escape from the news cycle and constant barrage of BREAKING NEWS! Stories.... The more people try to use sports to advance some political agenda the less popular they will be

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

1) cajun = worse then redneck, good job, bocephus.

2). Great, let's knock rural and middle America - aka the majority of the country

3) what an uneducated and unfortunate comment.

4) where is your proof for such a ststement that it was them?

Pretty much, think before you talk.  Or better yet, just don't.  It makes you look bad.

Sorry, dude, but as of the 2010 US Census, 80.7% of the US population lives in urban areas.  More than 66% of North Carolinians lived in urban areas in 2010.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Politics were less a part of the game this year.

Plus lots of exciting young QBs

Sports are a great escape from the news cycle and constant barrage of BREAKING NEWS! Stories.... The more people try to use sports to advance some political agenda the less popular they will be

I hate turning on sports and getting politics!  

2 minutes ago, dakrider said:

I hate turning on sports and getting politics!  

The minute you start talking politics 50% or so of the people watching feel attacked, ostracized, or unwelcome in some way

Plenty of time for the truly important work of life.. sports are an escape where we can all be on one team, cheering on the Bills and hating New England! It's beautiful!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stony said:

Yes, and new metrics to rate these too, I believe.  

is that like    

If you don't like the stats change the criteria?   LOL  

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

Directv now offered sunday ticket in select markets. 

you mean by streaming and not satellite right?

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

1. OK so you say viewership "across the board was down in 2017" and the reason was ????????? What other event season long caused this? I know many people who were turned off by the protest and gave up their Sunday Ticket and did not watch the rest of the season.

2. Do you have statistics to back up "didn't even make a dent"? My understanding was that viewership was down about 10%

3. Can  you cite some data to back up your claims?

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I have no clue what you just said. Are you being snarky or what? Patriots was lower case... you made it upper? What is your point here? Sounds like snarky blather.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Sorry, dude, but as of the 2010 US Census, 80.7% of the US population lives in urban areas.  More than 66% of North Carolinians lived in urban areas in 2010.

Who controls the resources and land mass?  What good is that "80.7" when it comes to worth?  Not much 

10 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

you hope so