More embarrassing ‘true confessions’

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

The draft was active, several older cousins, none who had gone on to college., a couple who ended up in country...better believe it was a topic of conversations at almost every family gathering. I certainly wasn't part of the conversation at age 6-11, but trust you me , you pick things up at that age. 

Had a cousin as well at the same time married this dude who had defected from Romania and i completely remember the adults talking about the Iron Curtain, and I took it literally. I thought this dude had lived behind some huge Iron Curtain like the Wizard of Oz

My sister went to her senior prom with a guy who was dead before she left for college. That stuck with me. It seemed from the nightly news counts for dead and wounded that they HAD to run out of people soon. What a bunch of hooey! Strange times, even if you're young, maybe even more so because there is stuff you just don’t comprehend yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Well that's not true at all.

1.1 million Canadians served in WWII for example; of those, like 45,000 died and more were injured.

it wasn't as devastating a crop of returnees.

those who came back from WW1 and were gassed never got over the physical damage, and it was such a horrible thing to do

There was once a soap commerical on TV. It started with a white woman getting in the shower, then a bunch of closeups about the soap, then showed a black woman getting out of the show. So I insisted that my mom bought the soap, so I could test it and see if it really changed your skin color.

When I first moved to Texas about 8 years ago, we had Tamales for Christmas dinner. Never had them before, and they were really tough. Spent ten minutes at a party with everybody watching me before someone was nice enough to tell me that you have to unwrap it from the corn husk first. 

Also, in the relm of misheard lyrics, I thought "Can't buy me love" from The Beatles was "Got Puppy Love."

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

There was once a soap commerical on TV. It started with a white woman getting in the shower, then a bunch of closeups about the soap, then showed a black woman getting out of the show. So I insisted that my mom bought the soap, so I could test it and see if it really changed your skin color.

When I first moved to Texas about 8 years ago, we had Tamales for Christmas dinner. Never had them before, and they were really tough. Spent ten minutes at a party with everybody watching me before someone was nice enough to tell me that you have to unwrap it from the corn husk first. 

Also, in the relm of misheard lyrics, I thought "Can't buy me love" from The Beatles was "Got Puppy Love."

HA! We went out to Flemings or Roys for a fancy dinner one time and they brought us edamame - for the first time. It looked like a snow pea, except you can chew it until the cows come home, then give it to the cows, and they can chew it until their jaws wear out. Nobody mentioned that.......  A lesson learned. 

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

When I was very young, I thought that deaf, dumb, and blind kid sure played a mean guitar.

Similarly, as a kid i thought Another Brick in the Wall said "The Dukes of Hazard in the Classroom"

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

English?

Yes.  Immobilize your tongue (as if it was frozen to a lamp post), and say “how did you make out?”  Some liberties were taken with phonetic spelling to imply the sound.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Yes.  Immobilize your tongue (as if it was frozen to a lamp post), and say “how did you make out?”  Some liberties were taken with phonetic spelling to imply the sound.

I tried earlier but couldn’t make it out exactly...

I made out as best as you could in the situation lol 

I licked the pole... My tongue got stuck, I tried prying  it off to no avail... panic set in a bit... told my brother to get ommy(tongue stuck and all)

he ran home to get her, and she returned a few minutes later with some hot water... poured it around the pole and tongue area until I could pry it off

lost some taste buds ?

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Well that's not true at all.

1.1 million Canadians served in WWII for example; of those, like 45,000 died and more were injured.

Including James Doohan (Scotty rom Star Trek) who was wounded on D-Day and lost part of his finger.

I didn't realize that my beloved bassett hound, Lady, didn't really go to "the farmer's farm" when I was 5 years old... Of course to frolic and play while living out her days.  It wasn't till I was 47 that I realized this.

Well all for the better. Knowing @Boyst62and how creepy farmers and farms can be, it's best that Lady was put down.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

??

Kids at the bus stop man...

all I can say is thank God I had a brother who could run home and tell mom ?

You didn't happen to grow up in Webster, did you?

Edited by Bad Things

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I tried earlier but couldn’t make it out exactly...

I made out as best as you could in the situation lol 

I licked the pole... My tongue got stuck, I tried prying  it off to no avail... panic set in a bit... told my brother to get ommy(tongue stuck and all)

he ran home to get her, and she returned a few minutes later with some hot water... poured it around the pole and tongue area until I could pry it off

lost some taste buds ?

I guess you hadn’t seen A Christmas Story.

When I was 5-years-old, I was a member of the KISS Army (my brother is six years older than me).  There was an order form for the (now) classic KISS Bicentennial poster (seen below) and the cost was $5.  I filled out the form and put it in an envelope with $5 worth of play money (Popeye money, if memory serves).  My dad was a mailman.  It was on the kitchen table for him to take out when he went to work in the morning.

Weeks later, the poster showed up.  For many years, I thought that the company accepted my fake money and "gifted" me the poster for being so cute and innovative.

Part of me still thinks that, because neither of my parents has fessed up to swapping out the fake money with a check.  I don't think I'll ever know.  I just wish I still had that poster.

image 0

16 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When I was a kid, I thought all dogs were male, all cats were female.

I never saw balls on a cat before so I assumed they all were girls.

So the mother cat would have a litter of puppies and kittens when giving birth.

Hmmm, was this common? 

I was was just rewatching an old Community, and this very same thing was on there!