I don't believe in the 3 year plan happening in '19

PUNT750

On 12/24/2018 at 7:30 PM, PUNT750 said:

I really can’t believe the 3 year re-build plan for the Bills will have much success in 2019.  Regardless of 10 draft picks and $90 mil in cap space it doesn’t make sense.

Realistically we need new, quality;   O Lineman (3), WR (3), RB (2), LB (1), TE (1), DB (1), DL (1) 

That’s 12 total to be competitive!!

We’re going to have to over-pay for quality, top tier free-agents to come to Buffalo.  We all know the risks with drafts picks in their rookie seasons (Zay Jones, Teller, McCloud and even Edmunds).  It just doesn’t happen.

I love believing in the PROCESS but with a young, raw QB who is still unproven while trying to blend a plethora of new players into a competent NFL team seems unrealistic.  It may sell tickets but not win a lot of games.

GO BILLS!

Seems to me like you are looking for a dynasty type lineup, which is what we all want, but not necessarily what we need, in order to put out a competitive playoff type caliber lineup. Basically every team in the NFL has warts that we can pick on, or places they need serious upgrades here or there. Having a couple of difference makers on the field, starting at QB as the most important one, will still get us where we need to be in year 3 of the process, IMHO. In terms of needs, at least 2 changes on the line (center, guard), 1-2 solid WR options (Foster's emergence as a bona fide deep threat already helps), 1 RB I think basically would do the job of significant improvement, even if we just hold serve on D, as that unit for the most part this year, showed it can hang if the offense has a pulse.  

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No reason whatsoever to think so. why would he feel it necessary to go all in this year? He's made it clear from minute one that his main goals are long-term. His goal is to turn the team into one that challenges for a championship every year. And that it would take time.

It's still extremely early in Beane's tenure. GMs take longer to evaluate than coaches. Beane'll be here a while. 

What happens next season if they go 7-9 or even 8-8? Beane stays and McDermott goes?

Something tells me these guys are tied at the hip. It irks the hell out of me that two guys who've never done the job have more job security than GM's/Coaches in the league who've achieved serious success. I actually like McDermott more than I like Beane. Be a damn shame if McDermott were to get the ax because of Beane's blunders.

Only in Buffalo is this acceptable.

Edited by LSHMEAB

On 12/25/2018 at 11:02 AM, NewDayBills said:

Depends. Our defense started out really strong and gradually we have fallen apart. After all the resources spent there I feel like we should have gotten more for our money. If Daboll/Allen continue to grow with each other I could see McD eventually getting ***** canned and Daboll takes over. Defense better play elite football next year and we better make the playoffs otherwise cya later. Daboll is a hot name around the league, hopefully he stays on another year and we can groom him for that potential HC vacancy.  

Daboll has been a career mediocrity at BEST in every other stop as an OC, current stop included ... I have NO idea how some are trumpeting him as a hot HC candidate

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/24/2018 at 4:30 PM, PUNT750 said:

I really can’t believe the 3 year re-build plan for the Bills will have much success in 2019.  Regardless of 10 draft picks and $90 mil in cap space it doesn’t make sense.

Realistically we need new, quality;   O Lineman (3), WR (3), RB (2), LB (1), TE (1), DB (1), DL (1) 

That’s 12 total to be competitive!!

We’re going to have to over-pay for quality, top tier free-agents to come to Buffalo.  We all know the risks with drafts picks in their rookie seasons (Zay Jones, Teller, McCloud and even Edmunds).  It just doesn’t happen.

I love believing in the PROCESS but with a young, raw QB who is still unproven while trying to blend a plethora of new players into a competent NFL team seems unrealistic.  It may sell tickets but not win a lot of games.

GO BILLS!

Well lucky for us then that next year is only year TWO of the 3 year plan.  This will only be Beanes second draft.  McD first year he was stuck with Rex and Whaleys roster.  This was the first actual year of the rebuild where they tore out the pieces the were getting us no where and fixed the cap.  

Its amazing how out of touch some of you are with the realities and facts of this team.  

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

What happens next season if they go 7-9 or even 8-8? Beane stays and McDermott goes?

Something tells me these guys are tied at the hip. It irks the hell out of me that two guys who've never done the job have more job security than GM's/Coaches in the league who've achieved serious success. I actually like McDermott more than I like Beane. Be a damn shame if McDermott were to get the ax because of Beane's blunders.

Only in Buffalo is this acceptable.

Those final win counts would get them fired in my opinion

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Those final win counts would get them fired in my opinion

THANK YOU!!!

I'm skeptical as hell of the process, but they deserve next season to put it together. Not a Superbowl, but a SERIOUS run at the playoffs. First time GM/HC's should not be given longer than 3 years to build at least a playoff contender regardless of the teardown they initiated.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well lucky for us then that next year is only year TWO of the 3 year plan.  This will only be Beanes second draft.  McD first year he was stuck with Rex and Whaleys roster.  This was the first actual year of the rebuild where they tore out the pieces the were getting us no where and fixed the cap.  

Its amazing how out of touch some of you are with the realities and facts of this team.  

Admittance that McClown made the playoffs with Rex and Whaleys guys and has done squat with the guys they had picked? Doesn't look like it is going to get a whole lot better next year either.

8 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Admittance that McClown made the playoffs with Rex and Whaleys guys and has done squat with the guys they had picked? Doesn't look like it is going to get a whole lot better next year either.

Are you suggesting the team we fielded this year was their attempt at being a good team?  LOL

Some of you guys need to understand how to separate fielding a team and building a team.  The team on the field this year, especially the offense, is not even close to the finished product.  I mean its literally the beginning of rebuilding and what they FIELDED under the circumstances, not what they BUILT..  Some of you act like this was their best effort at building a contender.  

They were in cap hell, Beane fixed it a year faster than he predicted.  They had guys they got rid of after having been around them in McD's first year.  They had 2 OL retire they had thought would be here.  They went out and got a rookie QB and a second first rounder in Edmunds to groom into being the QB of the defense for years too.  

I just dont understand how so many fans are so out of touch with reality this season.  This was NEVER the end product this year, EVERYTHING they did was to build on for the future to build a real contender, not some 9 win team hoping to make playoffs again on tie breaker for the next 5 years.  This next year is now about building this franchise to contend regularly.  They have a playoff caliber defense and a young rookie QB.  They will begin adding pieces around Allen to help build his success, and judging by McD and Beane actions thus far, I expect a heavy investment in FA/Draft/both on the OL to help protect the kid and get the run game going again to help take pressure off Josh.  Additionally some more weapons are certainly coming in at WR and probably TE and maybe RB too.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, klos63 said:

If we have an equally poor line and WR group, then yes, it would be a good reason that they might fail again in 2019, why wouldn't it be?

I agree 100% with the above!!!

The Bills have all this money in free agency and that is great, but if we continue to ignore key positions such as the Offensive Line in the draft, chances are that we will not get out of the miserable rut in the foreseeable future. Blockers, especially OTs are hard to get in trades or free agency, unless you are dealing with the Bills. We all know that Allen is talented. Fine thanks, but he needs protection and he needs weapons.

I am well aware that teams cannot click on every draft pick, but if we could just find good players to surround our QB with, why shouldn't we win?

On 12/25/2018 at 12:30 AM, BullBuchanan said:

It's unrealistic to expect 2019 rookies to have an immediate impact that can turn it all around at positions like WR, late round RBs, OLine, Dline.

Why?

The Cowboys in 1975 went to the Super Bowl with 12 rookies.  2 of them were offensive lineman.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Dozen_(American_football)

This the kind of draft performance  coupled with really good FA signing we need if "THE PROCESS" has any chance of success.

We've had McDermott and Beane's first year and mulligan tank year.  2019 is time to put up or shut up. No more excuses.

My bottom line for next year is we better be at least "in the hunt" going into week 17.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/25/2018 at 12:42 AM, Tsaikotic said:

Im going to say Castillo and  Dennison were the other major problems...they came in and totally changed the scheme...if you look back to Millers first year, he actually looked somewhat decent, now everyone wants him gone...Dennison is gone but Castillo is still here

I'm not convinced the lack of a run game should be placed on the OLine's doorstep.  I think coaching and scheme also play a large role.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:18 AM, billsfan1959 said:

They haven't made those draft picks yet. They haven't used any of that cap space for free agents yet. So how can they have eveything they need? Why don't we just wait and see what happens.

Honestly, your posts are nonsensical.

Didn't they make all those trades and dump all those guys in order to have everything they need to build a champion?

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree 100% with the above!!!

The Bills have all this money in free agency and that is great, but if we continue to ignore key positions such as the Offensive Line in the draft, chances are that we will not get out of the miserable rut in the foreseeable future. Blockers, especially OTs are hard to get in trades or free agency, unless you are dealing with the Bills. We all know that Allen is talented. Fine thanks, but he needs protection and he needs weapons.

I am well aware that teams cannot click on every draft pick, but if we could just find good players to surround our QB with, why shouldn't we win?

Not to nitpick, but if you include Miller three starters were drafted in the last three years.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Are you suggesting the team we fielded this year was their attempt at being a good team?  LOL

Some of you guys need to understand how to separate fielding a team and building a team.  The team on the field this year, especially the offense, is not even close to the finished product.  I mean its literally the beginning of rebuilding and what they FIELDED under the circumstances, not what they BUILT..  Some of you act like this was their best effort at building a contender.  

They were in cap hell, Beane fixed it a year faster than he predicted.  They had guys they got rid of after having been around them in McD's first year.  They had 2 OL retire they had thought would be here.  They went out and got a rookie QB and a second first rounder in Edmunds to groom into being the QB of the defense for years too.  

I just dont understand how so many fans are so out of touch with reality this season.  This was NEVER the end product this year, EVERYTHING they did was to build on for the future to build a real contender, not some 9 win team hoping to make playoffs again on tie breaker for the next 5 years.  This next year is now about building this franchise to contend regularly.  They have a playoff caliber defense and a young rookie QB.  They will begin adding pieces around Allen to help build his success, and judging by McD and Beane actions thus far, I expect a heavy investment in FA/Draft/both on the OL to help protect the kid and get the run game going again to help take pressure off Josh.  Additionally some more weapons are certainly coming in at WR and probably TE and maybe RB too.  

It is obvious what they were doing with cap room this season, and they obviously were willing to take a strategic setback in order to build a more sound financial situation rolling forward.

Having said that, there is also no doubt that they thought it would go substantially better than it did this year.  They also thought Peterman would be a serviceable starter while Allen learned and watched from the sideline.

This season is not about a 100% tank, or a 100% planned rebuild with everything going according to plan.

The truth lies in the middle.  They will emerge from this season, overall, looking bad IMO and McBeane's fate will rest in their ability to fix this #*$& show in this coming offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It is obvious what they were doing with cap room this season, and they obviously were willing to take a strategic setback in order to build a more sound financial situation rolling forward.

Having said that, there is also no doubt that they thought it would go substantially better than it did this year.  They also thought Peterman would be a serviceable starter while Allen learned and watched from the sideline.

This season is not about a 100% tank, or a 100% planned rebuild with everything going according to plan.

The truth lies in the middle.  They will emerge from this season, overall, looking bad IMO and McBeane's fate will rest in their ability to fix this #*$& show in this coming offseason.

I truly believe this

• Like (+1) 1