Buffalo picked the right Josh

Nuncha

Before the draft, I thought Rosen had a quitter's mentality.  At the first sign of struggle, he mentally folds - and fast.  

There's nothing about his rookie season that has made me change my opinion.  

On the other hand, I thought guys like Allen and Mayfield were fighters. They will keep firing, won't quit.   

My issue with Allen is that he'd end up being a throwback to the 90s where he'd throw for over 4,000 yards, barely at a 60% completion rate.  

I didn't know what Mayfield would do because I fully expected the Browns to send out Tyrod every game if he could walk.  

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

"career ending?"

I think the poster was referring to Allen's elbow injury, which could have truly been a career-ending injury.  Luckily, it wasn't as serious as it could have been and doesn't seem to have resulted in permanent damage.

• Like (+1) 1

As it stands right now, we definitely got the right Josh.  No doubt about it.  But getting the right Josh, does that mean we got the best QB in the draft?  Don't get me wrong, i'm all over the JA hype right now and I do feel that he'll be around for a while as our franchise QB.  I haven't been this excited in a very long time as a Bills fan.  As of right now though, part of me wonders if we should've just stayed put in the draft and got Jackson instead.  Or should we have tried harder to go for Baker or Darnold?  Only time will tell and my questions should be answered by the time these rookies are entering the final season of their rookie contracts.  What i'm simply saying is that I really hope that overall, we selected the right QB.

Josh Allen May be the most polarizing player in the NFL as soon as next season.  If Beane does his job like I think he will in FA and the draft, JA is gonna have all cameras on him.  Too big. Too strong.  Too fast.  Throws too hard. Wants to win and lead and has a great smiles. He’s much better than I thought he’d be at this stage.  He seems to get better and become more poised with each snap.  Oh, an that arm.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Josh Allen May be the most polarizing player in the NFL as soon as next season.  If Beane does his job like I think he will in FA and the draft, JA is gonna have all cameras on him.  Too big. Too strong.  Too fast.  Throws too hard. Wants to win and lead and has a great smiles. He’s much better than I thought he’d be at this stage.  He seems to get better and become more poised with each snap.  Oh, an that arm.  

McBeane has to put a lot more talent around him on offense. I mean they have the cap space and draft picks to address various needs so it isn't like they can't do so but that's a big challenge. Besides Dawkins, Allen, and maybe Foster I don't know what good young pieces exist on the roster. Teller and Zay possibly but I am 50/50 on them. So at best you need a WR1, 3 offensive linemen, a tightend of the future, and an RB of the future. 

I know they have 90 plus million in cap space and a full draft class but that's a lot of acquisitions to hit on in one off season. Plus they might need a player or two on defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

McBeane has to put a lot more talent around him on offense. I mean they have the cap space and draft picks to address various needs so it isn't like they can't do so but that's a big challenge. Besides Dawkins, Allen, and maybe Foster I don't know what good young pieces exist on the roster. Teller and Zay possibly but I am 50/50 on them. So at best you need a WR1, 3 offensive linemen, a tightend of the future, and an RB of the future. 

I know they have 90 plus million in cap space and a full draft class but that's a lot of acquisitions to hit on in one off season. Plus they might need a player or two on defense. 

A WR1 would be nice, but if we can get a Bob Woods type we’ll be fine as long as Foster continues to play as he has the past few weeks.  

We cant fill every hole with a star but we have money and 10 picks.  The way we’ve been drafting, you can count on 4 starters in the draft a backup or two.  Then almost 90mill in cap room.  If Beane can pull some magic we can be a more explosive version of this year’s Bears. 

Edited by NewEra

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think he will be extremely polarizing if his game remains relatively similar to how it has been his college and rookie season in the NFL.

There is enough mediocrity in this league that the type of QB Allen is shaping up to be, a BOOM/BUSTER, that with a good defense you will win your fair amount of games and at least be close enough in 4th Quarters where it’s coin flip time.  So it’s importent for Buffalo to maintain that defense with Allen.  (He’s going to have to prove he can be a gunslinger of the surgeon variety that can come back from 2-3 scores down before I beleive it.)

But I suspect that when you look at Box scores Allen’s will look very similar to his entire career so far.  Sub 60% completion and not many 300 yard games and hovering on the low end of points scored.  THAT is when the fun debates and screaming at each other will really begin!

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

There's already reports out there that Steve Wilks is a goner after this offseason...not necessarily surprising, but still one heck of a headline. Fans/media say he didn't maximize his players' talents and chose his scheme over the provided personnel (a 4-3 defense with a bunch of 3-4 pieces) along with basically having no idea how to develop a rookie QB (lol at him coming in against the bears down by a score with a few minutes left) or use their best player on offense (DJ). With Pat Peterson wanting to get out of there and for good reason, it makes Larry feel even more saintly than he already has been

It's not entirely similar, but the square-peg-in-a-round-hole style is definitely reminiscent of how things went down with us and Rex. I wouldn't have been opposed to cutting our losses after one year, either, so credit to Arizona for having the guts to quickly admit their mistake and try and salvage what they can. Making another analogy, Josh Rosen could have a good opportunity to go from terrible to great coaching like Goff to help and turn his career around.

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A WR1 would be nice, but if we can get a Bob Woods type we’ll be fine as long as Foster continues to play as he has the past few weeks.  

We cant fill every hole with a star but we have money and 10 picks.  The way we’ve been drafting, you can count on 4 starters in the draft a backup or two.  Then almost 90mill in cap room.  If Beane can pull some magic we can be a more explosive version of this year’s Bears. 

Even if you can count on Foster as a top 3 WR I don't know if Zay is a top 3 NFL WR (I think he can progress to that but I wouldn't want to rely on him) I think you need at least 2 WR's to supplement Foster, Zay, and Mac. The O-line needs 3-4 starters (50/50 on Teller) and there are needs to find younger players at RB and TE. 

Ideally I would sign or trade for a vet WR T.Williams or Golden Tate while also drafting a WR in rounds 1 or 2. I also wouldn't mind them addressing a defensive need like adding a pass rusher or CB2 (Depending on how the young guys finish out the season.) But the big money should be spent along the O-line where there should be at least high end 2 starters added and a pick in the top 2 rounds. 

Its not impossible for them to find 3-4 high end starters on offense via free agency and add in 2 more via the draft. Then build depth and youth at TE and RB in rounds 3 and 4. But its a tall order even with the cap space and draft picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I think he will be extremely polarizing if his game remains relatively similar to how it has been his college and rookie season in the NFL.

There is enough mediocrity in this league that the type of QB Allen is shaping up to be, a BOOM/BUSTER, that with a good defense you will win your fair amount of games and at least be close enough in 4th Quarters where it’s coin flip time.  So it’s importent for Buffalo to maintain that defense with Allen.  (He’s going to have to prove he can be a gunslinger of the surgeon variety that can come back from 2-3 scores down before I beleive it.)

But I suspect that when you look at Box scores Allen’s will look very similar to his entire career so far.  Sub 60% completion and not many 300 yard games and hovering on the low end of points scored.  THAT is when the fun debates and screaming at each other will really begin!

exact same could be said for Jackson

• Like (+1) 1

If this thread is correct, then Allen looks like he's going to be better than Rosen. So far the draft order has played out exactly as predicted in terms of performance, though Allen could catch Darnold and Baker if he continues to keep his accuracy under control and he keeps making plays with his legs. He's the most dynamic player.

I think the better question is should we have kept all of our draft picks and just taken Lamar Jackson with either ours or the Chiefs FRP? Now that's a fascinating what if. 

Edited by VW82

41 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Even if you can count on Foster as a top 3 WR I don't know if Zay is a top 3 NFL WR (I think he can progress to that but I wouldn't want to rely on him) I think you need at least 2 WR's to supplement Foster, Zay, and Mac. The O-line needs 3-4 starters (50/50 on Teller) and there are needs to find younger players at RB and TE. 

Ideally I would sign or trade for a vet WR T.Williams or Golden Tate while also drafting a WR in rounds 1 or 2. I also wouldn't mind them addressing a defensive need like adding a pass rusher or CB2 (Depending on how the young guys finish out the season.) But the big money should be spent along the O-line where there should be at least high end 2 starters added and a pick in the top 2 rounds. 

Its not impossible for them to find 3-4 high end starters on offense via free agency and add in 2 more via the draft. Then build depth and youth at TE and RB in rounds 3 and 4. But its a tall order even with the cap space and draft picks. 

An ever improving Foster + a top draft pick or free agent would lots of playoff teams have 2 solid WRs and a Zay Jones level wr.  Add a tight end and we’re in business.  Sure, I’d love to add 2-3 more stud WRs but I don’t think it’s neccesary to have a good offense as long as we upgrade along the OL

Edit: forgot to mention McKenzie.  He looks like a keeper.  Foster, mckenzie, Zay, plus a top FA or draft pick WR and TE.  Zay might be the 4th or 5th option.  Not too shabby imo.  Just hope the guys we add can catch passes

Edited by NewEra

Just now, NewEra said:

An ever improving Foster + a top draft pick or free agent would lots of playoff teams have 2 solid WRs and a Zay Jones level wr.  Add a tight end and we’re in business.  Sure, I’d love to add 2-3 more stud WRs but I don’t think it’s neccesary to have a good offense as long as we upgrade along the OL

I am not sure Zay is a top 3 WR and Foster might be piling up flashy stats late in season and might not be as good as he seems. I think it is better to surround Allen with a deep fast WR core than to skimp out and think one addition will do. At worst the team has depth and a group of young players to take over for a veteran that was signed. 

29 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I am not sure Zay is a top 3 WR and Foster might be piling up flashy stats late in season and might not be as good as he seems. I think it is better to surround Allen with a deep fast WR core than to skimp out and think one addition will do. At worst the team has depth and a group of young players to take over for a veteran that was signed. 

McKenzie May be the #3. He’s fast.  Jones ran a 4.42.  Foster is blazing fast.  The FA/draft pick can be fast.  We aren’t as far away from what you’re asking for as you think.  Like I said, sure I’d love to add 2-3 more stud WRs but that’s not realistic .  Realistic, imo, is adding a top WR in the draft/FA a top tight end in the draft/FA.  Adding  solid seasons along with a stout OL and we can compete imo. If we can form an OL that can actually run block effectively our passing game will take off

Just now, NewEra said:

McKenzie May be the #3. He’s fast.  Jones ran a 4.42.  Foster is blazing fast.  The FA/draft pick can be fast.  We aren’t as far away from what you’re asking for as you think.  Like I said, sure I’d love to add 2-3 more stud WRs but that’s not realistic .  Realistic, imo, is adding a top WR in the draft/FA a top tight end in the draft/FA.  Adding  solid seasons along with a stout OL and we can compete imo. If we can form an OL that can actually run block effectively our passing game will take off

I am not buying Mac as anything more than a gadget player. I just think the team needs 2 WR's, a vet and a rookie, at worst if you sign a higher end vet and draft a rookie then you can trade or move on from the vet sooner. But if you overplay your hand on these young guys and they are in over your head then you are *****. 

I think with the Cap Space and the draft picks they should be able to heavily address the offense at both WR and OL while drafting players behind the vets at TE and RB.

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I am not buying Mac as anything more than a gadget player. I just think the team needs 2 WR's, a vet and a rookie, at worst if you sign a higher end vet and draft a rookie then you can trade or move on from the vet sooner. But if you overplay your hand on these young guys and they are in over your head then you are *****. 

I think with the Cap Space and the draft picks they should be able to heavily address the offense at both WR and OL while drafting players behind the vets at TE and RB.

McKenzie is a slot wide receiver. That’s not a gadget.

11 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I clearly said this year and worst of bunch right now means this year. Read that. Year 2 or 3 well see how it goes.

Right now it doesn't matter. No one cares about his performances his year. Like Allen he has shown moments of potential and moments of rookie stupidity.

You don't judge players after 1 year

I think the Bills picked the right Josh,but we shall see.

I might be one of handful here but I preferred our Josh over the other one because of temperament,size, leadership and arm strength.

On draft night my younger cousin was throwing beer cans at his TV in digust. Why? Because he reads this board and watches the clowns on Sportscenter.

If there’s two things you can count on, it’s the media and message board members knowing little about what a real QB looks like.

Statistics do not measure much of what it takes to make it in the NFL.

My cousin is now a huge Josh Allen fan. 

Edited by dlonce