What’s your definition of an alcoholic?

12 minutes ago, bbb said:

Yeah, you're right - college kids aren't really associated with heavy drinking. 

I went to college in Ohio when you could only get 3.2% beer when you were 18, and had to wait until 21 to get “real beer”. I admit to a pissing problem back then. I was used to wonderful Canadian beers (I leaned Molson and OV’s) , and 3.2% Hudepohl led to excessive volume to get the same result. 

I very rarely drink a beer now. The same can not be said for wine. 

Only you can answer the question. I highly recommend reading the first 164 pages of the AA "Big Book". If you are an alcoholic, or on track to become alcoholic, I believe you find your answer. If not, it is still a valuable read and may help you with any number of personal issues.

My name is Buffalokie and I am an alcoholic.

• Like (+1) 1

I drink pretty much every day...but take quite a few "breaks " during the year of a week or 10 days . Drink more when not training for a race, less when I am training.

I think people know deep down whether they are alcoholics or not..they may not want to admit it as they are scared to quit, and the process of quitting, and life after quitting.

But you know.

7 hours ago, bbb said:

Yeah, you're right - college kids aren't really associated with heavy drinking. 

Uh what?

in my late teens till my mid 20s I drank like there was no tomorrow despite being broke. Today, if I drink 10 times a year it’s a lot. And by drink, I mean have one beverage. Sometime in my 30s I decided that I had a problem with alcohol, and just stopped. 

To the OP, if you’re worried about it, it’s time to quit.

FYI to everyone...I don’t consider myself an alcoholic at all.

If I drink too much one night...I don’t have a drink for at least a few days.  Very rarely drink  to where I’m drunk.  It doesn’t effect anything in my life negatively.  

I don’t drink much even when I’m tailgating because I want to be able to focus on watching the game.

it was just a general question and wanted to get your opinions.

If I drink to the point where Emma Stone is gorgeous, then I’ll say I have a problem.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If I drink too much one night...I don’t have a drink for at least a few days.  Very rarely drink  to where I’m drunk.  It doesn’t effect anything in my life negatively.  

I don’t drink much even when I’m tailgating because I want to be able to focus on watching the game.

If I drink to the point where Emma Stone is gorgeous, then I’ll say I have a problem.

You're only an alcoholic if it's a problem.

My family jokes that I'm an alcoholic. It's been two years since I was passed-out drunk, though. Even then, I remember everything from that night. It was in Vegas. When in Rome...

Emma Stone is getting prettier with age...like a fine wine.

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sorry, what I mean is the drinking is making them the jerk.  When they don't get the drink, that's where the problem is.

A friend of mine who went and still goes to AA told me that when one stops using alcohol, they must than deal with what he called the "ism." He implied that a personality defect caused the alcoholism.

Please don't attack me for saying this whereas I don't know if it is true. I am just repeating what I was told by a person who I respect.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Somewhere theres a mystery to be unraveled here between wanting to get our opinions on Emma Stones attractiveness and alcoholism. 

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

A friend of mine who went and still goes to AA told me that when one stops using alcohol, they must than deal with what he called the "ism." He implied that a personality defect caused the alcoholism.

Please don't attack me for saying this whereas I don't know if it is true. I am just repeating what I was told by a person who I respect.

Makes sense to me. Alcoholism is a way of coping with/avoiding something.

21 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're only an alcoholic if it's a problem.

My family jokes that I'm an alcoholic. It's been two years since I was passed-out drunk, though. Even then, I remember everything from that night. It was in Vegas. When in Rome...

Emma Stone is getting prettier with age...like a fine wine.

I've never blacked out where I don't remember anything.  I've blacked out many times when I was younger but was able to recall everything the next day.  Events may not come immediately but eventually it all comes back.  

I know people that when they drink, that night is a mystery and have no clue what happened.  That would be scary for me.

14 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have 2-3 glasses of wine or beers just about every night after the kids go to bed.  I guess if you add it all up I might have 20-25 drinks per week (a few more on weekend nights).  Some might consider me to be an alcoholic I guess.

I guess where I draw that line is whether or not the hooch has a negative impact on your life functioning.  Are you able to wake up and be productive at work?  Are you able to be kind to and provide for your family?  Are you able to have a few drinks without being an *****?  Do you know when is enough?

Alcohol doesn’t negatively impact my life (except for the few extra pounds and the rare mild hangover).  Bottoms up!

This pretty much describes me (sans the kids).  I consider it a European lifestyle; a few drinks a day is "normal" and I rarely drink "to get drunk" or because I feel I "need it."  I can't remember the last time my drinking had a negative impact on me or anyone around me.

If some want to call me an alcoholic so be it; I won't deny it.  I've thought about cutting back during the week but then I ask myself who would I be doing that for?  i talk to my doctors and they don't seem to be interested in telling me to do anything different.