Did anyone notice something about Sam Darnold?

PUNT750

I'm looking up these stats and it doesn't make sense! 

Those unstoppable Bills offenses and Montana's unstoppable 49ers offenses and not a single 4000 season between them...

They seemingly scored at will but you look at the stats and they would barely be top 10 today

Freaking Matt Stafford did it 7 years in a row and has a shot at making that 8 this year... 

So I've gotta give Namath props... That is a crazy season

Edited by TheFunPolice

46 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

His resemblance to Joe Namath on the field.  The way he walks to the sidelines.  The way he runs the huddle.  His release of the football.  His touch passes.  

It's strange but I've seen many Broadway Joe games and Sam has that look!

Did he try and kiss Suzy Kolber in the postgame interview?

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Which also highlights how no one has yet come within light years of Marino’s ‘84 season.

I don’t even know what the equivalent would be in today’s NFL.  5500 yards?  6000?

Marino was so good... Way ahead of his time

That's like a 7000 yard season today given how much better that was than everyone else

In retrospect it's too bad he never won a ring. Him and Kelly both (obviously)!

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Those unstoppable Bills offenses and Montana's unstoppable 49ers offenses and not a single 4000 season between them...

They seemingly scored at will but you look at the stats and they would barely be top 10 today

Freaking Matt Stafford did it 7 years in a row and has a shot at making that 8 this year... 

Those great teams also had great balance where the pass setup the runs and vice-versa, and there was plenty of scoring.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Those great teams also had great balance where the pass setup the runs and vice-versa, and there was plenty of scoring.

True, but even still...

Just shows how skewed stats have become now.

That's why rings are all that matters. Favre and Manning are on the couch watching all their records get broken. As will Brady and Brees one day.

But nobody can take the rings

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Namath threw for over 4000 yards and 26 TD in 1967 back when they only played 14 games and there weren't all the rules favoring offense

For reference, Joe Montana and Jim Kelly never broke 4000 yards in a season in either of their entire careers, and thats with HOF teammates all over the place and HOF head coaches with revolutionary offenses

In fairness Namath was at the tail end (I think) of the "pass-heavy" AFL, was stickum around then too?

Either way I think Broadway Joe was quite a character, and is a piece of NFL lore that enriches its history.

12 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Its because they ran the ball a lot more...the most passes Kelly threw in a season was 474 in a 15 games that season, or an average of a little over 31 per game.  Today, players are in the 600-650+ range routinely which means they are averaging an extra 8-10+ passes per game. Over the course of a season that adds up to a lot of yardage.  Also the completion rate is about 3-4% higher these days than it was back then.

Namath was an amazing QB. People dont remember that his knee was completely shredded in (68? ) and he was hobbling on one leg for the rest of his career.

His release was incredibly quick and his accuracy was dead on AND when he wasnt a cripple he was an excellent runner.

Amazing the dumb comments from people who never saw the guy play.

Kinda like the under 50 crowd who say that Thurman was a better RB than OJ. -based on what they read on the internet on Stats sites. 

Give me quality and brilliance when judging a player.

Gayle Sayers was one of the greats. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

True, but even still...

Just shows how skewed stats have become now.

That's why rings are all that matters. Favre and Manning are on the couch watching all their records get broken. As will Brady and Brees one day.

But nobody can take the rings

No argument here. 

To put things in perspective look at Jack Kemp's stats during the Bills 2 championship years of 1964 & 1965: He passed for around 45%, had an average around 2,300 yards & threw almost twice as many picks as TDs. 

The game and QB stats was very different back then & a QB could win championships with low completion percentages and a TD/INT ratio that had more INTS than TDs.  

For his time & what he meant to the NFL, Namath is a HOFer.   

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Tcali said:

Namath was an amazing QB. People dont remember that his knee was completely shredded in (68? ) and he was hobbling on one leg for the rest of his career.

His release was incredibly quick and his accuracy was dead on AND when he wasnt a cripple he was an excellent runner.

Kinda like the under 50 crowd who say that Thurman was a better RB than OJ. -based on what they read on the internet on Stats sites. 

Never saw Sayers or the Juice...was a bit too young, but am wise enough to take the word of folks that saw them shine.

I do remember watching Eric Dickerson when I was a kid and could not believe the way he flew by defenders without looking like he was running hard at all. He still ranks up there for me as one of the great ones - just not a Bill.

14 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

To put things in perspective look at Jack Kemp's stats during the Bills 2 championship years of 1964 & 1965: He passed for around 45%, had an average around 2,300 yards & threw almost twice as many picks as TDs. 

The game and QB stats was very different back then & a QB could win championships with low completion percentages and a TD/INT ratio that had more INTS than TDs.  

For his time & what he meant to the NFL, Namath is a HOFer.   

the CB could mug the receiver back then. Kemp was a winner. He made the throws when they had to be made and he didnt do dumb stuff.

3000 yds for LA chargers.  15 yds per catch over whole career.65-37 career record.

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Never saw Sayers or the Juice...was a bit too young, but am wise enough to take the word of folks that saw them shine.

I do remember watching Eric Dickerson when I was a kid and could not believe the way he flew by defenders without looking like he was running hard at all. He still ranks up there for me as one of the great ones - just not a Bill.

Dickerson is one of the all time greats.right up there

ps-so true about his running style--it was so smooth and effortless looking--but no one could stop him

Edited by Tcali
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He threw for 4000 yards 40 years ago lmao we still haven’t had a QB throw for 4000 yards lol

Edit

(BLEDSOE 2002)

1 in 48 nfl seasons

Allen could do it in one throw if we had any receivers to “Track” it!

22 minutes ago, Tcali said:

But none could block lineman one on one like Freddy Jackson!

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He threw for 4000 yards 40 years ago lmao we still haven’t had a QB throw for 4000 yards lol

Edit

(BLEDSOE 2002)

1 in 48 nfl seasons

We havent had 300 throwing yards in a game since Orton LOL

In fairness Josh should have vs Minnesota, but they only had him throw the ball like 2 times in the second half

1 hour ago, Watkins90 said:

Joe Namath is the worst football player to ever make the Hall of Fame. Honestly, he probably shouldn’t even be in the Hall of Fame.

Joe Namath was the most famous football player on the planet in the late 1960's.  He played stylishly, effortlessly.  His release resembled the tongue of a snake.  He forced the NFL to take the AFL seriously, when he whooped their fat arses in the '68 Super Bowl.  If Joe Namath weren't in the Pro Football  Hall of Fame, they could not call it the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1