Who recalls this game from Thanksgiving in 1976?

Another Fan

11 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

OJ ran for 273 yards in a loss to the Lions.  I believe it broke the record for yards in a game at the time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqzVtwwKVg

Unfortunately I’m not able to embed the video.  

I cant recall the Bills ever playing on Thanksgiving Day in my life.  I googled it and discovered the 1976 game 

Pretty unforgettable performance in an otherwise nondescript conest.  Gary Marangi.  :sick:

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

my parents didn't watch football so I missed OJ. What do you think of Bo Jackson ? He was the best runner I saw.

Bo was great.  I've seen many great ones over the years.  I always tend  to divide them into two types:  more physical and more elusive.  Bo, Earl Campbell and of course Jim Brown in the former group.  OJ, Sanders, Sayers, Dickerson, and Dorset the latter.  Then the guys kind of in between:  Payton, Emmitt Smith, Thurman.

if you want to pick one guy in the open field that could cut, elude guys, and run like the wind, it was OJ

5 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Remember this game; many on this board do not know the really bad years of 1968, 1970, 1971, 1976, 1977, 1984, and 1985!

Can you imagine if this board existed for those years?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Bo was great.  I've seen many great ones over the years.  I always tend  to divide them into two types:  more physical and more elusive.  Bo, Earl Campbell and of course Jim Brown in the former group.  OJ, Sanders, Sayers, Dickerson, and Dorset the latter.  Then the guys kind of in between:  Payton, Emmitt Smith, Thurman.

if you want to pick one guy in the open field that could cut, elude guys, and run like the wind, it was OJ

many would say Barry was the most elusive? I wasn't his biggest fan because of the negative yards and short yardage situations.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

84-85 were the worst

Really, incredibly bad, so when I read these ignorant posts about bad they really do not know! But look at the 1985 draft and the "process" that built a dynasty!!

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Can you imagine if this board existed for those years?

They would have breakdowns!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

my parents didn't watch football so I missed OJ. What do you think of Bo Jackson ? He was the best runner I saw.

Bo was great, but his football career was too short, and even at his best, he wasn’t as good as OJ. There’s never been a better NFL back than OJ in his prime.  And his first two years in the league were wasted with a moronic coach who refused to use him.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

84-85 were the worst

Met my wife in 84, got married in February, 1985. Not too long after she asked “why do you do this to yourself?” 

It was a fair question. The next generation carries it on. It may be genetic? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Still an amazing runner. I only recall the hip injury that ended his career.

Hurt often in college, Sports Ilistrated attacked him with a cover touting a Division 2 RB as more deserving of the Heisman

great athlete, could swing a bat as well, shame he was always hurt

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Met my wife in 84, got married in February, 1985. Not too long after she asked “why do you do this to yourself?” 

It was a fair question. The next generation carries it on. It may be genetic? 

Edit because I’m anal about certain things: Our first date was late ‘83, she invited me to her office holiday party, She generally makes very good decisions, but nobody’s perfect! 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

what back was that ?

A nobody

SI was being grossly cynical in attacking Bo

favre was diagnosed with the same hip problem and it damaged his prospects at first

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, mannc said:

And even when healthy, he split time with Marcus Allen.

The sports world lost out on a ton of potential from a great athlete 

Billy Sims was another who was gone way too soon

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yep. Sooo disappointed in Boz , he was awesome in college and a dud in the pros. Similar to Katzenmoyer.

My biggest disappointment was AJ Hawk, one of my all-time favorite college players. After him, I came to realize that you just can't trust high-motor lunch-pailers in the NFL anymore. :(

As for that Thanksgiving game, I remember it. OJ was the greatest, THE thoroughbred of RBs.

Edited by Rico

1 minute ago, Rico said:

My biggest disappointment was AJ Hawk, one of my all-time favorite college players. After him, I came to realize that you just can't trust high-motor lunch-pailers in the NFL anymore. :(

As for that Thanksgiving game, I remember it. OJ was the greatest, THE thoroughbred of RBs.

Nothing close to Juice at RB in Buffalo

1 minute ago, Rico said:

AJ Hawk had a solid career. I never thought he was to go be great so I wasn't disappointed. Can't give up on lunch pail guys, look at Kyle and Harry. Look at how many athletes flop.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

AJ Hawk had a solid career. I never thought he was to go be great so I wasn't disappointed. Can't give up on lunch pail guys, look at Kyle and Harry. Look at how many athletes flop.

I wanted him on the Bills so bad. It was obvious on draft day that it wasn't going to happen, but then I was steaming when we traded up for friggin' Pos instead. Thanks, Marv. :thumbdown:

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

OJ ran for 273 yards in a loss to the Lions.  I believe it broke the record for yards in a game at the time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqzVtwwKVg

Unfortunately I’m not able to embed the video.  

I cant recall the Bills ever playing on Thanksgiving Day in my life.  I googled it and discovered the 1976 game 

They played on Thanksgiving Day in 1961, '64, '65,'66,'68, 1976, and 1994.  In 1976 OJ had 1500+ yards in the  season.  Saban quit after a 2-3 starter and Jim Ringo went 0-9 for the balance.

29 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I definitely remember watching that game at the family Thanksgiving gathering at Grandmas house. Everyone was cheering on OJ and his great performance. One of my earliest memories of what it means to be a Bills fan. 

OJ was all we had!

11 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

They played on Thanksgiving Day in 1961, '64, '65,'66,'68, 1976, and 1994.  In 1976 OJ had 1500+ yards in the  season.  Saban quit after a 2-3 starter and Jim Ringo went 0-9 for the balance.

Played the Cardinals and won on Thanksgiving 1975!

1 hour ago, mannc said:

And even when healthy, he split time with Marcus Allen.

Al Davis had it out for Marcus back then. But what a combo at RB.  It probably extended Allen's career.  

The best way I ever heard Bo described was someone saying when God made him, He broke the mold.  

Buffalo played on Thanksgiving 1994.  A 35-21 loss the Lions, who were QB'd by none other than Dave Krieg:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199411240det.htm