Can't help myself but McD cost Peterman a long fruitful career

Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And probably millions of dollars by playing him and making him a whipping boy/punchline.

Looking at the list of NFL back-ups and third-stringers, NP could well have been a very competent back-up QB and one of the greatest pre-season practise players of all-time.  Four years as a back-up with almost no NFL playing time and yes maybe he would have learned, watched and then was given an opportunity much more mature and capable.  Maybe he would have succeeded.

Look at his predecessor Tyrod Taylor.

Very simply I feel somewhat sorry for Peterman and blame McD for creating this sham that all started with him and his dismantling of the O in 2017 and the terrible offensive coaching and playcalling.

They are to blame for putting Peterman in when he wasn't ready and not giving him the tools (players and schemes) to succeed and ruining what as said could have been a nice career as a buck-up.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It was tongue in cheek....  Geez where's the sense of humour here?

Where in the above original post was there any thing funny? If you wanted us to think that this was "tongue in cheek" then your reply should of ended in you saying "well I really don't care but this is what is being said lol" or something to that fact, yet you continued to try and make his case? nice try in your exit plan but it didn't work for me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And probably millions of dollars by playing him and making him a whipping boy/punchline.

Looking at the list of NFL back-ups and third-stringers, NP could well have been a very competent back-up QB and one of the greatest pre-season practise players of all-time.  Four years as a back-up with almost no NFL playing time and yes maybe he would have learned, watched and then was given an opportunity much more mature and capable.  Maybe he would have succeeded.

Very simply I feel somewhat sorry for Peterman and blame McD for creating this sham that all started with him and his dismantling of the O in 2017 and the terrible offensive coaching and playcalling.

They are to blame for putting Peterman in when he wasn't ready and not giving him the tools (players and schemes) to succeed and ruining what as said could have been a nice career as a buck-up.

He could've had Lombardi coach him, he still can't throw to the sidelines. He's not an NFL QB.

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Where in the above original post was there any thing funny? If you wanted us to think that this was "tongue in cheek" then your reply should of ended in you saying "well I really don't care but this is what is being said lol" or something to that fact, yet you continued to try and make his case? nice try in your exit plan but it didn't work for me.

The classic "it's just a prank, bro" move. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

As said I was having fun.....  Thanks for reminding me of Curtis Painter.  As said TT barely threw a ball prior to being signed by the Bills and had 4 years to watch & learn.  He has done well.

Chase Daniels just blows me away.......  Eli Mannings back-ups probably have done well as have Rivers and other workhorse QB's......

Maybe things would have been different if Peterman had a chance to watch & learn under a smart offensive coach......  A Sliding Doors scenario....

Well, you do have a point on that one. Chase Daniels always performed well in practice and preseason games, and he's had the remarkable good fortune (compare: Peterman) to never have to play in a game that counts in anything other than garbage time. If Peterman had been drafted to be, say, the Chargers backup, we'd probably be thinking the Chargers have a competent backup and maybe (I said "maybe") even a potential successor to Rivers ....

• Like (+1) 1

I think this topic should be closed seeing now he thinks he posted this in "humour" as this garbage theory. in his own words..

on a personal note I feel his op was a well thought out well disguised troll post.

just lock this thread mods please....

Edited by PrimeTime101

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, you do have a point on that one. Chase Daniels always performed well in practice and preseason games, and he's had the remarkable good fortune (compare: Peterman) to never have to play in a game that counts in anything other than garbage time. If Peterman had been drafted to be, say, the Chargers backup, we'd probably be thinking the Chargers have a competent backup and maybe (I said "maybe") even a potential successor to Rivers ....

Some people seem to get it......

I don't care, never did about Peterman.  No idea who he was outside the 5th round backup to TT in 2017.  I was, and feel free to check my posts, highly critical and upset at the trading of Watkins and continually harpingon the inability or unwillingness to have an innovative passing game and inability to throw for 300 yards.  

I was on prior to the LAC game deriding the decision as lunacy.  

Not Peterman's fault, he is just the figurehead for what McD has done to this Offense.

5 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think this topic should be closed seeing now he thinks he posted this in "humour" as this garbage theory. in his own words..

on a personal note I feel his op was a well thought out well disguised troll post.

just lock this thread mods please....

Where in Can't Help Myself did you get lost?????  Not enough smilies to give it away?  

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Where in Can't Help Myself did you get lost?????  Not enough smilies to give it away?  

your right. plenty of smiles to give a way.. IF you ended your op by saying your laughable point on the topic but you didn't. and now you didn't you want to make at this moment look like it was to get smiles? WRONG TOPIC TO GET SMILES!

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He wasn't ready and should never have seen the field beyond mop up duty.....

As said tongue in cheek & while I never want to see Peterman start or succeed for the Bills, as that would be fools gold and we'd (as fans and those on this site) be stuck in multiple threads and back & forths as to his ability or to keep him and trot him out over & over, I do to some extent feel sorry & bad for him.

As said too, this is entriely McD's fault. 

Now I wonder if anyone asks Chase Daniels whether he'd rather have $28,000,000 or have been given the opportunity that NP got?

Oh & thanks to all that got the gist of the thread.......

He would have never had Chase Daniel’s career because he doesn’t have the ability to play at that level. That’s why he will be out of the league within the next week. It isn’t the coaches’ fault that a football player, played football so poorly that no one wants to employ him. If a chef makes terrible food does he have some birthright to keep getting jobs as a chef? 

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

You guys are missing the OP's point...His point was that he has killed Peterman's chance to be a decade-long backup who never sees the playing field..and one who has a potential to make 40-50Million as a backup over a decade...Now he could be out of the league by 2019

..  good? Is the OP's point we should have paid somebody 50-60 million to be backup and never start the backup (which is basically his only job fill in for the starter when needed and not sucking it out of the park) because if we had.. we'd know he'd suck! Poor Pete couldn't swindle the 50million dollars from the NFL!

49 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

It was tongue in cheek....  Geez where's the sense of humour here?

Tone isn't conveyed over the internet, so if you're trying to use sarcasm or such you need to add extra effort to make the tone known, if you're not being literal.  A snarky comment at the end, going over-the-top with the sarcasm as such.  I took the OP as serious initially, though after hearing it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, and re-reading it, I can see it.

Tone, or loss thereof, has lead to many internet misunderstandings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

You guys are missing the OP's point...His point was that he has killed Peterman's chance to be a decade-long backup who never sees the playing field..and one who has a potential to make 40-50Million as a backup over a decade...Now he could be out of the league by 2019

Thet was obvii. Some QBs have the mind but not the nfl strength  when they get 1st get signed or vice vera.  NP needed to bulk up ark strength, sit benc, then learn to run the scout defense for a year at least before seeing the field. The whole organization failed at QB. Epically.

.....unfortunately how NOT to develop QB's is the "Oath Unto OBD Employment" that coaches must sign........LONG before McDermott landing.......Peterman may eventually end up as a decent backup elsewhere in a decent offensive system with decent offensive personnel and with decent coaching......think he presses and panics to atone for the 5 pick debacle last year (a typical OBD decision to force the "not ready" to be ready; same happened with EJ and probably Losman); certainly need to overcome his "fear" of "live ammo......McBeane & McDermott have not done ANY QB on the roster favors.....woeful ineptitude starting with prematurely dumping McCarron deeming Peterman ready because of TC and pre-season with rubber bullets......enter Josh (NOT ready) and he gets banged up.......dig Anderson out of mothballs and now he's dinged up.......so we sink to the bowels of futility and bring in Matt "Big Valley" Barkley..........can you better define abysmal?......hell, "Big Valley" gets dinged up and we'll probably sign Jimmy "The Pickle" Clausen......

Peterman, like Allen, is very raw and inexperienced. Like Allen, he is in a less than ideal situation as far as his development is concerned. In addition to lacking Allen's physical traits, he has not shown the QB smarts that he needs in order to have an NFL career. That really is what he needs to work on as well as the mechanical issues most rookie QBs deal with. 

I don't think his arm is any more of a rag than Fitz's. If he is really determined to succeed and if he can develop Fitz's smarts, I could see him enjoying a comparable career as a viable backup (because that is really what Fitz is). Can he do that? Idk. He hasn't shown it yet and it's a pretty big ask but I wouldn't say it's impossible. 

17 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Peterman, like Allen, is very raw and inexperienced. Like Allen, he is in a less than ideal situation as far as his development is concerned. In addition to lacking Allen's physical traits, he has not shown the QB smarts that he needs in order to have an NFL career. That really is what he needs to work on as well as the mechanical issues most rookie QBs deal with. 

I don't think his arm is any more of a rag than Fitz's. If he is really determined to succeed and if he can develop Fitz's smarts, I could see him enjoying a comparable career as a viable backup (because that is really what Fitz is). Can he do that? Idk. He hasn't shown it yet and it's a pretty big ask but I wouldn't say it's impossible. 

Again Peterman is not an NFL ready QB and what McD did in 2017 was stupid and he doubled down this year. 

Quit comparing the 2017 5th round qb with the #7 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

No one is missing the point. Typically, backup QBs, get, and maintain, jobs based on their PLAY when thrown in. There is a reason that guys like McCown, Hoyer, Anderson, Matt Moore, etc.. kick around for a decade plus. It’s because they can hold down the fort for a month or so if the QB gets hurt. They have PROVEN that. Peterman has done the opposite. The only person that he has to blame for being out of the league after a year and a half is  himself. 

I feel much much worse for guys like Levi Brown that wash out of the league without ever getting a chance to proven themselves. Maybe he could have been Nick Mullens? We don’t know. We never saw it. 

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I have a tendency to agree with this.  Clearly, McCoach failed miserably when he decided that Peterman should have started ahead of TT and that Peterman was ready to start last year.

As for this year, McBeane did not do any of our QBs any favors with the line or the WRs.

I always thought that Peterman could be a decent and serviceable back up QB in the NFL.  Neither he nor the QB situation was managed well.