Peterman actually played quite well!

Rubes

1 hour ago, nucci said:

most of this throws were 3 yd passes to his right.....the bar is very low

I believe he set a record going back to the 70s for lowest yards for that many completions.

This guy seems to break a negative record every time he gets a chance to play

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

With respect to the low yards per\dink and dunk criticism, that was built into the game plan. Bears have a good secondary (ranked ahead of the Bills) who were playing a lot of man with some press coverage on crucial conversion downs. To beat this you need WRs who can gain a step the at the LOS and follow that up with good crisp route running to maintain separation. The Bills WR group really are not good at doing that, especially our # 1 "go to guy" by default. Because of that its asking a lot of our QB, whoever it is, to throw downfield with anticipation. I think Daboll knew how the Bears would scheme to defend against the pass and this was his to be expected answer, the more so because the Bears are also good against the run and are capable of pressuring the passer. 

Every time Peterman takes the field dink/dunk seems to be the game plan. 

Look at his career yards per attempt.  Look at it. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteNa00.htm

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

A rational post gets a rational response.  

A troll gets trolled.  

Rules to live by.  

I wasn't trolling in the least. did I say anything incendiary or offensive? your standards and defense of Peterman is odd to me. its fairly routine and it makes slim to no sense at all IMO.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

10 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I think that talent is there but it also matters who is the one teaching these guys.  I think Edwards had a lot more potential before that blindside hit.  As far as Peterman he didn't do that bad and he is adjusting more and more but he is not a starting QB.

Meh.

Edwards next game after the hit in Arizona was against the Chargers. He went 25-30 for 261 yards, 1 TD, no picks.

That has always struck me as a false narrative. He just wasn't very good.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I wasn't trolling in the least. you standards and defense of Peterman is pathetic. 

Did I say you specifically were trolling

Stop making poor assumptions.

and with that there went any rational conversation.

Nate did improve.  ONLY 3 INT's for a whole game instead of 5 in a first half.  Is that a lie? 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Every time Peterman takes the field dink/dunk seems to be the game plan. 

Look at his career yards per attempt.  Look at it. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteNa00.htm

absolutely atrocious..... but at least he'll make the throws into tight windows others wont ?

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Did I say you specifically were trolling

Stop making poor assumptions.

and with that there went any rational conversation.

I guess if you're super sensitive.... when you respond to something I write with a trolling comment how exactly would you like me to interpret it?..... sorry for the poor assumption. lol.

28 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

An adequate backup doesn’t come in and throw a pick 6 to lose the game the way he did in Houston.

Peterman does not possess an NFL quality arm.

End of story.

Sure he does. And it's not because he does not possess an NFL quality arm. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but it's not bad.

Can't believe I'm defending him, but understanding the pick 6 against Houston requires a little thought, not just the knee-jerk "bad arm" reaction. The reason Nate threw the pick 6 is because the Texans have a good defensive coordinator who knew exactly what to do against Nate to bait him into throwing that pick-6. Against a young QB, with not a lot of experience, in the pressure of crunch time, you do what the defense did: blitz from one side of the field, expect the young QB to see the blitz and throw short to that side of the field, and have the CB jump the route because you know it's coming.

The defense took advantage of Nate's inexperience, not his so-called noodle arm. It's still on him, but it's also on this offense for not being sophisticated enough to deal with simple schemes like that.

Edited by Rubes

29 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Bill Russell always stated that every pass to a teammate that did not connect was his fault.

But that was Bill Russell....

There is usually a strong argument that even tipped balls are the fault of the QB.  But not with these.  Those interceptions just killed me, I mean the WRs practically threw them in the air for the DBs.  Man, that pissed me off.  

4 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Sure he does. And it's not because he does not possess an NFL quality arm. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but it's not bad.

Can't believe I'm defending him, but understanding the pick 6 against Houston requires a little thought, not just the knee-jerk "bad arm" reaction. The reason Nate threw the pick 6 is because the Texans have a good defensive coordinator who knew exactly what to do against Nate to bait him into throwing that pick-6. Against a young QB, with not a lot of experience, in the pressure of crunch time, you do what the defense did: blitz from one side of the field, expect the young QB to see the blitz and throw short to that side of the field, and have the CB jump the route because you know it's coming.

The defense took advantage of Nate's inexperience, not his so-called noodle arm. It's still on him, but it's also on this offense for not being sophisticated enough to deal with simple schemes like that.

if i'm not mistaken jones was running completely wide open in the slot on the same side of the field as the attempted throw. it wasnt a great read. and even if it was he's shown time and time again he doesn't have the arm for those throws.

I feel bad for the guy. i'm not mad a him. i'm mad at the people making the decisions. its inexcusable that after the ravens game he's been in position, twice now, to enter games. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

23 minutes ago, row_33 said:

he doesn't deserve a Zapruder-like frame by frame excuse review of who is really to blame

he is terrible and throws INTs like candies, doesn't matter who you want to apportion blame to

he isn't worth the analysis

McD says "I have to watch the film"

10 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I'm defending him on this thread, but as a 3rd stringer, and did mention he only played average, if that. He failed at being a starter for sure, but from now on, barring injury like now, he is not asked to be a starter and certainly not paid as one. I just find him not paling ever again in the league is an overreaction. 

He isnt being paid as one cause he was a 5th round draft pick last year, he was and is still asked to be a starter when he was expected to be their starter this season, and now that Allen is injured.

Take off your Bill's colored glasses and you will see no one (outside of Gruden and the Raiders) would want him if the Bill's put him on Waivers. The rest of the league has been questioning how is is still in the league and even guys out of the league are questioning how he has kept his job and they cant get another shot.

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That is hilarious.......  3 yard dumps all game.....  63% completion %....

Here's a stat.....  Peterman completed two passes beyong the first down chains all game.  One was an 11 yard pass and the other a 6 yard pass.  All other first downs were YAC.

Just pathetic........

189 yards on 31 completions is about  6 yards per completion.  And as has been stated the INT's weren't on him, if the receiver had actually caught those passes from what I recall were all over 10 yards each too.

I also tend to agree with the article.

As was also stated, very few teams have a good backup QB, and the few that do, likely has more to do with the players around him than his actual play.

I missed the Minn game, but of the others I saw, watching it I thought it was the best game of the year at QB for the Bills overall.  Who's played better this season for the team?

17 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

With respect to the low yards per\dink and dunk criticism, that was built into the game plan. Bears have a good secondary (ranked ahead of the Bills) who were playing a lot of man with some press coverage on crucial conversion downs. To beat this you need WRs who can gain a step the at the LOS and follow that up with good crisp route running to maintain separation. The Bills WR group really are not good at doing that, especially our # 1 "go to guy" by default. Because of that its asking a lot of our QB, whoever it is, to throw downfield with anticipation. I think Daboll knew how the Bears would scheme to defend against the pass and this was his to be expected answer, the more so because the Bears are also good against the run and are capable of pressuring the passer. 

And how did that work out for the Bill's offence? One FG and one TD in garbage time and less then 200 yards given up. Good thing Daboll game planned to counteract that Bears defence........

1 hour ago, nucci said:

most of this throws were 3 yd passes to his right.....the bar is very low

Right? The one stat he missed, 3.86 yds per attempt. There is no way in the current NFL this is remotely okay. Congrats, 63% completion on throws under 5 yards. He can read all the coverages he wants, doesn't matter in the least if he never completes passes through them.

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

...According to Jim Kubiak of the BN Blitz:

Jim Kubiak: Ugly loss distorts Nathan Peterman's solid performance

I know it's the BN and many people don't have access, but there it is. Bear in mind that Kubiak "is the all-time leading passer at Navy, has played in the NFL, NFL Europe and the Arena Football League, and been a coach and executive in the AFL," and is analyzing QB play for the Bills this year. Some of the things he had to say:

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm no Peterman fan...I thought the decision to run for it instead of tossing the Hail Mary was one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen, and he should have been shown the door at halftime for that. Nevertheless, an objective look at his performance may not have been that bad (I guess).

Blind looking at he completed 31 passes. Played well. Never mind the 3 picks regardless of whose fault. Never mind the dink and dunk passes when your down big. Never mind the failed attempts to even throw a hail mary. He did not play well. Yes could have been worse but that would never be called well for any other qb. 

There's no way to evaluate Peterman as a player unless he gets a normal level of talent around him.  He doesn't need to have the KC offense, just an average O line and a couple of decent WRs who can both get separation and hold on to the ball.  Even in last year's Chargers game, he started out OK, then DiMarco let a nice pass from Peterman bounce off his hands for a pick-six.  And then the rout was on. 

He's probably adequate for a backup role, to an established, durable veteran on a normal-talent-level offense.  He's probably in the wrong spot here.  But would Jim Kelly do well with this offense?  Drew Brees?  Peyton Manning? Marcia Brady?  The only reason Josh Allen looks better is that he's more athletic and able to run better, just like Tyrod Taylor last year (except Taylor also had Incognito and Wood in front of him).

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

189 yards on 31 completions is about  6 yards per completion.  And as has been stated the INT's weren't on him, if the receiver had actually caught those passes from what I recall were all over 10 yards each too.

I also tend to agree with the article.

As was also stated, very few teams have a good backup QB, and the few that do, likely has more to do with the players around him than his actual play.

I missed the Minn game, but of the others I saw, watching it I thought it was the best game of the year at QB for the Bills overall.  Who's played better this season for the team?

Too tired to point them out......  Trust me there have been better in this dumpster fire of a season.