McD - we do have wins, although they are not always on the scoreboard. Saw some Bills style football yesterday

Reed83HOF

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Really, how many points did the Pats average per game going into the SB against the Giants?  And now tell me how many points Pats scored in SB.  

Here I will help.  

Pats averaged 36.8 points per game.

Pats scored 14 in the SB loss which is less than 40% of their average.  

Man, this is just getting to easy now

I was talking about Eagles Pats SB

Giants put up great defensive efforts gotta give them credit! And thank God for them!

And  "too easy" is the phrase you're looking for. See, we're both helpful!

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I was talking about Eagles Pats SB

Giants put up great defensive efforts gotta give them credit! And thank God for them!

And  "too easy" is the phrase you're looking for. See, we're both helpful!

Well you responded to a post talking about the Giants losses ;) 

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The why did the 17-0 Pats that set all offensive records lose to the Giants?  Why didnt Peyton Manning win more?  Why has Brees not won one in years and only made playoffs a couple times last 7 years?  Why hasn’t Rivers played in one?  Why hasn’t Luck?  Why did the Pats lose after setting SB offense records last year?  Why hasn’t Rogers won more than one?  Why hasn’t he been back in years?  Why does Andy Reid not have a SB ring as a HC?   

But yeah...offense wins championships.  Hahaha so dumb.  Offense CAN win a championship, just like defenses can (see recent champs like Denver 2015, Seattle, Ravens, Giants 3 times, etc) and so can balanced teams.  There are many ways to win the SB. 

So youre right, but not really, and still very wrong.  

Nah, you’re just a bad analyst since you can’t seem to grasp what they do each week is NOT a function of how he wants to play, but the only way we can with the personnel we currently have.

I mean he and Beane have literally said multiple times how important it is to be able to have a good passing game in today’s NFL.  We just don’t currently have the personnel to do it yet.

Do McD or Beane actually pay you to post all this?  Have they made one mistake in your eyes?  Read the Rockpile Review.  Get a different perspective. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know it’s a requirement, but I just wish McDermott would just stop doing these pressers. He doesn’t say anything of substance besides rattling off the injuries at the beginning.

everything else just serves to make some people mad. I understand he’s buttoned up and isn’t really going to expound on things or be too critical of his players. I can appreciate that, and I am not his biggest fan to say the least. This is a tough season, and a historically bad one on the offensive side. All that said, he gets another year from me to see if he can turn it around. It’d be a nice surprise if he can.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nah, you’re just a bad analyst since you can’t seem to grasp what they do each week is NOT a function of how he wants to play, but the only way we can with the personnel we currently have.

I mean he and Beane have literally said multiple times how important it is to be able to have a good passing game in today’s NFL.  We just don’t currently have the personnel to do it yet.

The "it's not really our fault" bull manure is exactly that, bull manure.   That's simply disingenous excuse making on your part.   McDermott has had control of personnel decisions since the 2017 draft, no matter how much you want to deny that, so it's on him. 

As for McDermott and Beane's claims about recognizing the importance of having a good passing game, they talk the talk but they sure don't walk the walk.  If they truly believed this, the Bills OL and WRs wouldn't be so bad, and they wouldn't have a WR coach "mentoring" their first round QB prospect.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not true.  He and Beane said repeatedly this is a passing league and its critical you can throw from the pocket.  There is a REASON they took a QB with a big arm...thats to throw.

Some of you cant separate what he wants to do with the only thing this team can do.  We have no passing attack, you act like he CHOOSES not to have it.  Our young QB is hurt, our WR and OL is subpar.  He is trying to run because this team cant currently throw.  Not because he feels we should just be a power run team.

Some of you really need to separate yourselves from this year and get a grip.  Trubisky playing almost a full season only threw SEVEN TD's last year...SEVEN.  Now look at him with new weapons around him to work with and a year under his belt.  Different team now and they are looking to throw more and downfield more despite being a run first team prior because they couldn't throw.  

Eh... John Fox was fired when Trubisky threw 7 TDs. I'm not sure your point really holds up

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

The why did the 17-0 Pats that set all offensive records lose to the Giants?  Why didnt Peyton Manning win more?  Why has Brees not won one in years and only made playoffs a couple times last 7 years?  Why hasn’t Rivers played in one?  Why hasn’t Luck?  Why did the Pats lose after setting SB offense records last year?  Why hasn’t Rogers won more than one?  Why hasn’t he been back in years?  Why does Andy Reid not have a SB ring as a HC?   

But yeah...offense wins championships.  Hahaha so dumb.  Offense CAN win a championship, just like defenses can (see recent champs like Denver 2015, Seattle, Ravens, Giants 3 times, etc) and so can balanced teams.  There are many ways to win the SB. 

So youre right, but not really, and still very wrong.  

Tyree catch.....offense beat offense. That’s how you beat them

Was it eagles offense or defense that won the Super Bowl last year? Oh offense again. Denver’s defense was good WITH manning, the next year they failed to make the playoffs when he retired, and  that D was dismantled 

within a season.Seattle had Russell Wilson, and Baltimore was 18 years ago. 

You keep asking why several of these Offense Players and coaches haven’t won more superbowls, and that’s answered by the better offenses like the Patriots have in the playoffs. But they have won superbowls.

While  you only have a few defenses for examples all but one had above average QB on them and you had to go 18 years back to find one that didn’t have an above average starter, because the one year with Baltimore that your thinking of Flacco was on fire for the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

Tyree catch.....offense beat offense. That’s how you beat them

Was it eagles offense or defense that won the Super Bowl last year? Oh offense again. Denver’s defense was good WITH manning, the next year they failed to make the playoffs when he retired, and  that D was dismantled 

within a season.Seattle had Russell Wilson, and Baltimore was 18 years ago. 

You keep asking why several of these Offense Players and coaches haven’t won more superbowls, and that’s answered by the better offenses like the Patriots have in the playoffs. But they have won superbowls.

While  you only have a few defenses for examples all but one had above average QB on them and you had to go 18 years back to find one that didn’t have an above average starter, because the one year with Baltimore that your thinking of Flacco was on fire for the playoffs. 

Pats averaged 36 points per game.  Lose to Giants by scoring only 14.  How is that not Defense?

Pats averaged 32 points per game.  Lose to Giants AGAIN by scoring only 17 points.  How is that not defense?

Broncos win the SB in 2015 with LOWEST RATED QB"s in Regular season (manning was awful his last year) and worst QB performance for a SB winning team in history.  How is that not defense?

Seattle won and almost one back to back with defense and ground and pound.  

Flacco and Ravens win in Ray Lewis swan song  with a sub par offense and top 10 Defense.  And they beat a SF team that was there because of defense and run game. 

Just a few examples...you have ONLY one, Brady, and he lost with a perfect season on highest scoring team in NFL history, lost as the #2 offense in the league, and lost again last year while setting Super Bowl passing records.  In fact the ONLY one he WON in his last 4 trips was WON beacaus of a DEFENISVE interception to end game on goal line by Butler because Seattle passed on the goal line instead of running it in with Beastmode.  Otherwise he would be have lost his LAST FOUR SB's to defense.

Meanwhile, Brees, Rogers, and Ryan have all combined to make one each and have frequently not even made the playoffs.  In fact, its their lack of Defense that keeps them from getting very far.  

Where are all those rings for Rogers, Rivers, Brees, Stafford, Luck, Ryan, etc?  If offense is the only thing that wins championships, why dont they have more?  Why did Brady lose 3 and got lucky to not lose a 4th thanks to a bad goaline call by the Seahawks?

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn't choose to get rid of our best WR.  He chose to get value, good value, for a guy they were NOT going to resign and lose for nothing because they were not going to pay what he commanded.  And since leaving Buffalo, Watkins compiled less than 500 yards on a prolific Rams offense and is being paid $16M to be the 4th option in KC.  Not a chance we were paying Sammy $16M, nor should we...and I am a Sammy fan.

So the alternative was to have kept Watkins, still lose to Jaguars (assuming we still make playoffs), and then lose Watkins and also NOT have the 2nd round pick that helped us land BOTH Allen and Edmunds?  That doesn't make sense does it?

And we had to trade Glenn...he was always hurt, underperforming and expendable. It was more important to go get our future QB, and that trade it possible to get Allen WITHOUT trading FUTURE first round picks or our SECOND first round pick last year which allowed us to get BOTH Edmunds and Allen without giving up any future firsts.  Look at how high our pick will be this year, its HUUUUGGGEEEE we got to get both guys without trading this pick.  

If people really look at what went down and why, you can see now why it was the right move.  And I did NOT like the trade at the time cuz I felt Watkins had just gotten healthy and wanted to see what he could do. But even I would not have paid him anything close to what he got.

They chose to get rid of Watkins, however you wish to phrase it. And as a 4th option in KC he has over 500 yards in 8 games, not too bad.

Glenn was hurt much of the last 2 years, but he was not under performing when healthy and was certainly not expendable. If he was expendable, I would think we wouldn't notice his absence. 

Whatever the reasoning behind all these moves , the fact is , so far, it ain't working. And judging by other moves, a 3rd for Benjamin, a 7th for Coleman who barely lasted a couple practices, cutting McCarron for Peterman... I'm not instilled with confidence right now.

Edited by klos63
  • Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, klos63 said:

They chose to get rid of Watkins, however you wish to phrase it. And as a 4th option in KC he has over 500 yards in 8 games, not too bad.

Glenn was hurt much of the last 2 years, but he was not under performing when healthy and was certainly not expendable. If he was expendable, I would think we wouldn't notice his absence. 

Whatever the reasoning behind all these moves , the fact is , so far, it ain't working. And judging by other moves, a 3rd for Benjamin, a 7th for Coleman who barely lasted a couple practices, cutting McCarron for Peterman... I'm not instilled with confidence right now.

Is that 500 yards worth $16M a year?  That was my point.  I like Sammy, a lot.  But he isnt putting up the numbers to justify his paycheck.  And Cooks is doing a lot more in his first year with Goff than Watkins did.  

We dont miss his absence...we miss the absence of 3 Pro Bowl OL.  Thats the issue.  But MOST importantly...here is what no one seems to grasp.  Had we not traded Glenn, we would have had to trade THIS years First to get Allen.  Think about that.  It was a much better to move to keep this years first which will almost certainly be top 5 and could be top 3.  

We traded a 3rd for KB because we were in the thick of a playoff race.  Had we not been trying to make the playoffs, KB trade never happens.  And I applaud them for trying to do what they needed to get us there once it became clear that playoffs were a real possibility.  It didn't work out, but most people here liked the trade when it happened.  And Jordan's bad luck of injuries also forced their hand.  Had Jordan stayed healthy, we also wouldn't have had to try and make a move.  They got the best guy that was available last year.  And you know what, KB helped us make the playoffs, he made a couple key plays like in the snow game that helped us get there.  So cant fault them for that, it contributed to our breaking the 17 year drought. 

And who can blame them for taking a flyer on Coleman for a 7th?  Most everyone loved the move at the time.  And they didn't cut AJM, they traded him for a decent draft pick because NO ONE was gonna trade us a 5th for Peterman and they wanted to start Allen anyway.  They said multiple times the plan was to start Allen week 1, but his 3rd preseason game where he struggled and got dinged up gave them pause to see if they can prepare a little more before starting.  NP had a solid preseason then flopped...so they made the switch early.

Im not saying ultimately this all works out.  I am saying they haven't even begun the offensive rebuild yet outside Allen.  We won't truly know what kind of path we are on until we see the results of how they use 10 draft picks and 90M in cap space to work on the offense this off season.

Edited by Alphadawg7

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, I know some of the guys on WGR are going off on the Bills staff for saying "buffalo bills football" means "cold weather, winning the line of scrimage, playing in the wind", etc.....but...I have to say I agree with the WGR hosts...I am so sick of hearing that from the Bills and their coaches/management.

If the weather is THAT big of an issue that you THINK you need to play football differently from most of the other successful teams....then just build a dome.  However, Even in the 'terrible' Buffalo weather (how many bad games a year here anyway? 2???), other teams have done well passing on bad conditions.

I do know there are some people out there (some of my family members) that say...they don't care what anyone says...you still win football with Defense and a running game...run and stop the run.  But as others have said, I just don't like watching that kind of football. Its boring to me...at least when you know there are options of play out there like what the Rams, Saints, and Cheifs are doing this year.

If you really REALLY want to run the ball more than anyone else..do it out of the spread formation.  Because right now...I don't want to see anymore 4 yard runs where the ball is handed off, the back goes right into the back of the O-line..and the whole pile pushes/falls forward for that 4 yard gain.

The best Bills teams threw the ball all over the field for their day in the snow and cold and that was their advantage, a very good OL and very good skill players.  A defense with some stars that could make some opportune plays, but not a shut down unit.  Hmm.  Do you think maybe they could give that another try sometime, other than the Chan Gailey era where they neglected the QB position in the draft and put all of their eggs into the Fitzmagic wagon? 

Now they have a defensive minded coach that has acquired most of the personnel for his D and somehow magically hoped a raw rookie from Wyoming and a 5th round pick from Pitt were good enough with a line that not only endured two huge losses, but also traded their other multi-year proven starter at the most important position on the OL.  If you have to give up a proven LT to get an unproven QB when you just lost your starting LG and C, you might want to reconsider what you are doing. 

In a lot of ways the trades that looked like really good moves to acquire draft capital last year mirrored the playoff run that had Bills fans excited.  This year the perplexing use of all of that draft capital and the need to acquire even more draft capital by getting rid of a game managing QB that really should be McD's soul mate (safe with the Ball and likes to run) and proven above average starter at LT to get two players that haven't proven a thing mirrors the s#!t show that is the 2018 Buffalo Bills.  They gutted this offense and reshaped it as they saw fit.   So far it sucks.  Last year was buoyed by the holdovers - this year, well, it speaks for itself.  I think what makes this even more frustrating is that you don't really even have much youth to watch develop on the O and say just give it time - Allen, Dawkins and Jones are what you can watch, but Allen is hurt, Jones has been disappointing, and Dawkins is playing okay, not great.  What are we supposed to get excited about?  Ray Ray McCloud? 

They've been missing with their Offensive moves - big time, and if you think they are going to magically turn it around this offseason, I love your optimism.   I hope that they do, but I wouldn't bet on it.  There is absolutely no evidence that they can do anything beyond identifying a decent back up RB. 

Edited by Ayjent
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Yeah...I think I might be over this guy....

"We do have wins, although they're not always on the scoreboard... in the midst of a game, I saw some things yesterday that is the Buffalo Bills style of football we want to play." -Sean McDermott

This is one of the dumbest statements I have ever seen quoted from McDermott. I understand you're trying to spin some kind of positive from the game like the defense holding the opposition under 200 yards. But seriously, can you get any more oblivious? As many people have said already this is eerily reminiscent of another Dick we had coaching this team in the past. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Is that 500 yards worth $16M a year?  That was my point.  I like Sammy, a lot.  But he isnt putting up the numbers to justify his paycheck.  And Cooks is doing a lot more in his first year with Goff than Watkins did.  

We dont miss his absence...we miss the absence of 3 Pro Bowl OL.  Thats the issue.  But MOST importantly...here is what no one seems to grasp.  Had we not traded Glenn, we would have had to trade THIS years First to get Allen.  Think about that.  It was a much better to move to keep this years first which will almost certainly be top 5 and could be top 3.  

We traded a 3rd for KB because we were in the thick of a playoff race.  Had we not been trying to make the playoffs, KB trade never happens.  And I applaud them for trying to do what they needed to get us there once it became clear that playoffs were a real possibility.  It didn't work out, but most people here liked the trade when it happened.  And Jordan's bad luck of injuries also forced their hand.  Had Jordan stayed healthy, we also wouldn't have had to try and make a move.  They got the best guy that was available last year.  And you know what, KB helped us make the playoffs, he made a couple key plays like in the snow game that helped us get there.  So cant fault them for that, it contributed to our breaking the 17 year drought. 

And who can blame them for taking a flyer on Coleman for a 7th?  Most everyone loved the move at the time.  And they didn't cut AJM, they traded him for a decent draft pick because NO ONE was gonna trade us a 5th for Peterman and they wanted to start Allen anyway.  They said multiple times the plan was to start Allen week 1, but his 3rd preseason game where he struggled and got dinged up gave them pause to see if they can prepare a little more before starting.  NP had a solid preseason then flopped...so they made the switch early.

Im not saying ultimately this all works out.  I am saying they haven't even begun the offensive rebuild yet outside Allen.  We won't truly know what kind of path we are on until we see the results of how they use 10 draft picks and 90M in cap space to work on the offense this off season.

Again, this is so incredibly false. It's bordering on comical how vehemently you are defending this incompetent coach & GM.

You deserve a medal for the mental gymnastics you are performing in order to arrive at these ridiculous points. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I'm having Deja Vu from the Dick Jauron era. 

They run the same defense, and have the same philosophical approach to football and how to build a team. 

Both guys valued character over talent. 

I was over it in the 2nd half when they were still running and not playing no huddle down by 4+ TDs 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Are you serious???  Watkins had 982 yards (6 TDs) as a rookie, 1047 yards (9 TDs) in 2015, and 430 yards (2 TDs) in only 8 games in 2016.   So far in 2018, his 530 yards (3 TDs) in 9 games is almost as many yards as he had in 15 games (593 yards, 8 TDs) in  2017 which suggests he'll be around 1000 yards and 6 TDs once again. 

Claiming that the Bills don't miss him is just more of the typical BS you spew in defense of McDermott and Beane.  The Bills passing offense stunk last year without Watkins and with both Wood and Incognito playing all season but Glenn missing most of the season.   Watkins has as many TDs as the entire Bills passing offense has this whole season. 

As for the Bills not being able to "afford" Watkins, that's more bull manure.   With the lowest current salary level in the league, they certainly could have despite the self-inflicted dead cap money by creating a cap friendly new contract/extension like other teams do.  They simply didn't want to because McDermott and Beane have repeatedly demonstrated how much they value the passing game.

As for the lame claim that "but they used that 2nd rounder to get Josh Allen", that's plain stupid.  Watkins was traded after the first preseason game, which was long before there was any kind of clear picture of how good or bad the Bills would be and long before the collegiate football season.  If McDermott/Beane decided that they were going to draft a QB in 2018 in July without knowing the candidates and made trades to do that, that's simply either being too clueless to believe or it's "money ball" as its most sinister.

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Believing they haven't tried to rebuild the Offense through all of their moves is like telling yourself an incredibly bad looking preseason offense is just playing opossum until the regular season starts - and we know how that turns out.