Midterm Election Gameday Thread

Just now, BeginnersMind said:

"Redistricting" or gerrymandering lead to the salamander districts that benefitted Rs in PA.  

Putting voters together and letting them vote together for candidates is called, what's the word, democracy. Gerrymandered districts favor incumbents who can entrench ideologically over a long term and will never work with the other side. This isn't an R or D problem--it's an American one. It just so happened that in PA, it benefitted the Rs for a long time until this year.

Gerrymandering is a plague. I can't believe you'd defend it, except that it doesn't work out for you.  

We are not a democracy you nincompoop.

Your desire to lower your own bar rivals that of Tiberius.  He isn't going to bother holding your beer anymore, he's built you a ***** cupholder.

1 minute ago, joesixpack said:

it doesn't work out for ANYBODY to silence those in less populous areas for favor of the party that represents the cities.

Ever.

The top 34 metro districts are now controlled by Democrats.

Just waiting for the shooting to start, at this point...

Just now, DC Tom said:

The top 34 metro districts are now controlled by Democrats.

Just waiting for the shooting to start, at this point...

Can't happen. Most are gun free zones and there are lots of signs posted! SIGNS!

ie: Gerrymandering

I recall a conversation I had with my father when I was 11 or 12 - and was studying US politics in school. I could not understand why district lines were not drawn in squares (and when you ran out of real estate, those were places that would have an irregular voting line).

To his credit, my father did not laugh in my face. He did snicker a little bit as he tried to explain "that's not how it works". (My father is a life-long Dem and a good portion of my family have campaigned for, and at one time or another held some low-level position within the local democrat apparatus.) 

Gerrymandering has always been about political power and trying to give "your side" an edge. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No, we're not.

And when did he turn orange?  :lol:

Waiting for the new filter now that you mention it.  If we white every white Hispanic, darken every black dude than I know it's a matter of time before we orange every white man.

#orangemanbad

34 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

God forbid Democrats and Republicans vote together in a district. The humanity!

Representative democracy is best executed when groups which are as politically homogenous as possible are able to elect a Representative to serve for them in the House.  This gives these individuals the best chance to have a voice which actually represents their view points and beliefs in Congress. 

Districts which are designed to be politically diverse or competitive disenfranchise more voters, because roughly half of them have no voice to represent them in our legislative body.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Representative democracy is best executed when groups which are as politically homogenous as possible are able to elect a Representative to serve for them in the House.  This gives these individuals the best chance to have a voice which actually represents their view points and beliefs in Congress. 

Districts which are designed to be politically diverse or competitive disenfranchise more voters, because roughly half of them have no voice to represent them in our legislative body.

As always, stated more eloquently than I could manage.

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I recall a conversation I had with my father when I was 11 or 12 - and was studying US politics in school. I could not understand why district lines were not drawn in squares (and when you ran out of real estate, those were places that would have an irregular voting line).

To his credit, my father did not laugh in my face. He did snicker a little bit as he tried to explain "that's not how it works". (My father is a life-long Dem and a good portion of my family have campaigned for, and at one time or another held some low-level position within the local democrat apparatus.) 

Gerrymandering has always been about political power and trying to give "your side" an edge. 

It's done very easily now.  There is software out there that with simple moves of the mouse over a map will provide population, demographic and voter registration stats on the fly.  Governors and their staff can redistrict an entire state in an afternoon to their liking and on the very edge of legal requirements. 

I don't see how either side can call it a major victory.  Both did exactly what was projected.  Both won some key races, both loss some.  Getting the house is very important for the democrats, but that was always going to be the case.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

...leads to division, entrenchment, and disenfranchisement of the votes of people who live in population dense areas. 

That said, I appreciate you taking the issue seriously. You make the counterpoint perfectly. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Yep.  Democrats gerrymander just as badly, to the benefit of different demographics.