Midterm Election Gameday Thread

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

The gerrymandered salamander shaped districts were not insane? Good stuff. 

The conspiracy echo chamber here thought the Rs would keep their majority in the House despite that huge improbability. But forgive them: They had Hillary for the win as part of the master Bildeberg plan in 2016. 

I think everyone was pretty fair about the chances tbh.

Keep hearing on the various shows this morning that a vote against Kavanaugh is what doomed some the Dem Sens. And I think that dead wrong. I believe it was the absolute joke of the process and the way that all went down that hurt them, not the vote.

Am I being naive there?

I swear to God people are stupid everybody's telling me that Trump is in trouble he's going to be impeached and they don't understand how the process works.  "He's in trouble." "He won't make it until 2020" "he will be voted out in a year." "He will never survive because the house will impeach him".

My God some of these people at work only know the headlines.

On another note, 2020 is gonna be tough. Senate exposure on the GOP is high and Trump has to out together a stellar campaign to keep things glued together even if he wins election.

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Keep hearing on the various shows this morning that a vote against Kavanaugh is what doomed some the Dem Sens. And I think that dead wrong. I believe it was the absolute joke of the process and the way that all went down that hurt them, not the vote.

Am I being naive there?

Seems pretty spot on from my perspective. I think a "No" vote without the charade, pomp and circumstance and complete fabrications would have helped their cause more than what took place.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Am I being naive there?

It seems fairly clear that some people are comfortable with the process as it played out. Take an individual with an impeccable record of service and commitment, educated at some of the most prestigious institutions in the world, who has support from some peers on the other side of the political aisle from him...and eviscerate him publically for all the world to see. 

It stands to reason that some other people would see that as tragic, and vote against the architects of the attempted hit job.  

The only positives revealed during that entire hearing was that Kavanaugh had the courage to see it through.  With all the wins and losses yesterday for either side, it's hard to imagine many of these politicians have that sort of character.  And so it goes. 

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I swear to God people are stupid everybody's telling me that Trump is in trouble he's going to be impeached and they don't understand how the process works.  "He's in trouble." "He won't make it until 2020" "he will be voted out in a year." "He will never survive because the house will impeach him".

My God some of these people at work only know the headlines.

On another note, 2020 is gonna be tough. Senate exposure on the GOP is high and Trump has to out together a stellar campaign to keep things glued together even if he wins election.

The hope right now is the Dems go crazy (again), the obstructing Rs have been cleaned out of the House (something like 40+ RINOs "retired"), and that Trump has coattails in 2020. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

Moreover, 74 percent of voters in exit polls said extremist violence was the most important factor or an important factor in casting their vote for the House. Democrats got 62 percent of those who thought it was the most important factor and won, 51-47, among voters who said it was at least a factor. (A mere 16 percent of Jewish voters cast ballots for Republicans for House races, perhaps a sign that they, too, have figured out that Trump’s nationalism and the party’s not-so-subtle anti-Semitic mailers reveal a party not reflective of their values, no matter how much Trump does for Israel.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/11/07/republicans-pay-the-price-for-racism-and-xenophobia/?utm_term=.9cacefffaf14

Florida’s felons

Amendment 4 passed in Florida, restoring voting rights for convicted felons. That’s both huge from a civil rights standpoint — especially given that such ballot initiatives in Florida need to clear a 60 percent threshold — and from an electoral one. About 9 percent of the voting-age population in Florida is composed of felons, and many of them are racial minorities. That could change elections (probably in Democrats’ favor) for years to come.

This is big. All those people arrested for being black will be able to vote from now on 

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

No, they empowered exurban and rural voters, whose votes and voices in the eastern  half of the state are now rendered meaningless. No conspiracy, just simple math.

1 person, 1.1 votes. 

That's gerrymandering. 

The power of the city and population centers was offset by the Senate and the Electoral College at a national level. Gerrymandering, which benefitted the Rs in PA until recently, is a tool that both sides abuse to preserve power. It's not about reducing the influence of population centers (except when those centers don't vote your way). It encourages division and minimizes the chances for independent and moderate candidates. It's a scourge. 

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

I think everyone was pretty fair about the chances tbh.

You know what's going to be hilarious?  When he starts claiming that I, as the board " ringleader," was wrong in all of my biased, neo-Nazi electoral predictions.

(I didn't make any.)

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Looking forward to that Beto/Ocasio-Cortez ticket...

Better bet is Beto/Gillum. Dem kingmakers (Deep State) have to make a big play for Florida. 

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You know what's going to be hilarious?  When he starts claiming that I, as the board " ringleader," was wrong in all of my biased, neo-Nazi electoral predictions.

(I didn't make any.)

You are not the ringleader here anymore. You're just a member of the peanut gallery. 

And there's only one Nazi conspiracy guy here, so don't overuse that absurd strawman accusation. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

(I didn't make any.)

Ringleader? At best you are Leni Reifenstahl.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

(I didn't make any.)

But if you had made predictions, they could have been biased and racist so essentially you did make those predictions and you were wrong. Own it, Nazi!

2 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

But if you had made predictions, they could have been biased and racist so essentially you did make those predictions and you were wrong. Own it, Nazi!

Why do you guys love making up strawmen instead of conversing? I'll be waiting for you to back up your despicable accusation that I called him a racist or Nazi. 

He's just a guy who comes to call people names...60K posts' worth. What value he brings!