Midterm Election Gameday Thread

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Gore lost because the dumbass didn't run as Clinton's third term. Clinton's approval numbers skyrocketed (relatively speaking) after the impeachment debacle.

Regardless of political impact, do you think the House should have impeached him for perjury and obstruction of justice?

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

Regardless of political impact, do you think the House should have impeached him for perjury and obstruction of justice?

They really didn't have any choice.  You can't have laws against perjury, and regular citizens sitting in jail for it, and then look the other way for the President.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

They really didn't have any choice.  You can't have laws against perjury, and regular citizens sitting in jail for it, and then look the other way for the President.

I agree.  The president isn't above the law. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree.  The president isn't above the law. 

That said, special prosecutors operating without rigid boundaries, manufacturing process crimes and perjury traps out of thin air is just about the most anti-American, anti-freedom, anti-justice concept I can think of.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"A Laundry List Of Charges:

Even if Trump isn’t shown to have conspired with Russia on election interference, his repeated lies to the American people about his connections to the Kremlin while he worked with Russia on a personal business project, the Trump Tower Moscow, well into the campaign, could rightly be viewed as an impeachable offense. And even before the Cohen filings made the timeline of that deal clear, Trump’s calls for better relations with the Russian government, including lifting sanctions and changing American policy in Ukraine, could be viewed as an impeachable case of putting his own selfish interests before the United States."*

*Source: Previous posts above.

That's bloody ***** stupid.  Politicians lie to the American public and disagree with other politicians' policy...but let's make those impeachable offenses.  

"But his intent was to use foreign policy to enrich himself!"

Okay then...show how it's different than this.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I would agree with TYTT. Realistically, they had to. He actually committed a crime while in office.

However, politically, it was folly to do so on such thin allegations after years of attacking him/looking for a reason to impeach.

The latter is the trap the Democrats are stepping into. They're painting themselves into a corner, where if they don't impeach him they look like buffoons to their base, and if they do (especially on the Gator-level stupidity), they look like buffoons to the the moderates and independents.

40 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

For the record, so far: 

Obstruction of justice on multiple fronts 

Conspiring with Russia to interfere with the election 

His corruption which is now coming into full view on multiple fronts 

Campaign finance violations 

And possibly (come on, most very likely) many more things in the Mueller investigation. 

Don't forget -- he might have killed the only rainbow farting unicorn.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Yes...but the much, much bigger issue is that he perjured himself in an investigation in to Whitewater answering questions that had absolutely no connection to Whitewater.

Same nonsense that's happening now...Mueller has the same "create a crime" mandate that Starr had.  But this time it's different, because...shut up!

43 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

For the record, so far: 

Obstruction of justice on multiple fronts 

Conspiring with Russia to interfere with the election 

His corruption which is now coming into full view on multiple fronts 

Campaign finance violations 

And possibly (come on, most very likely) many more things in the Mueller investigation. 

You actually list "things we don't know" as reasons for impeachment?  

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yes...but the much, much bigger issue is that he perjured himself in an investigation in to Whitewater answering questions that had absolutely no connection to Whitewater.

Same nonsense that's happening now...Mueller has the same "create a crime" mandate that Starr had.  But this time it's different, because...shut up!

10 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That said, special prosecutors operating without rigid boundaries, manufacturing process crimes and perjury traps out of thin air is just about the most anti-American, anti-freedom, anti-justice concept I can think of.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

My answer is no. The questions asked had nothing to do with the investigation underway. He never should have had the opportunity to lie, and the answers to those questions were none of their damn business. IOW I think it was a trap set up to embarrass him,  ended up getting him to lie instead, and I am not big on entrapment. 

16 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I would agree with TYTT. Realistically, they had to. He actually committed a crime while in office.

However, politically, it was folly to do so on such thin allegations after years of attacking him/looking for a reason to impeach.

The latter is the trap the Democrats are stepping into. They're painting themselves into a corner, where if they don't impeach him they look like buffoons to their base, and if they do (especially on the Gator-level stupidity), they look like buffoons to the the moderates and independents.

This is a little off subject but if you go all the way back to Johnson's impeachment, reports were that the public was against it despite his unpopularity.  I just wonder if it's human nature to defend an individual against a group that will resort to almost anything to destroy you for political gain even if you're not particularly fond of that person.

Edited by Doc Brown

31 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

And yet you're supporting a side - without evidence - that abused the powers of state to spy on its political enemies in an effort to subvert the legally elected POTUS because they didn't like him. 

You're full of ***** on so many levels it's amazing you don't see everything in a permanent brown tint.

Do you understand the power that Congress wields?  Yes, you think it's capricious... But it's vested in them whichever way the elections go every TWO years.  It's how the system is built.  Deal with it.  Don't like it, change the outcome.

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Do you understand the power that Congress wields?  Yes, you think it's capricious... But it's vested in them whichever way the elections go every TWO years.  It's how the system is built.  Deal with it.  Don't like it, change the outcome.

That's why the Senate exists, as the grown-ups to keep the children from getting too rambunctious at the House kiddie table.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

...And you're ignoring the point made. Because you are incapable of an honest conversation.

21 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That's bloody ***** stupid.  Politicians lie to the American public and disagree with other politicians' policy...but let's make those impeachable offenses.  

"But his intent was to use foreign policy to enrich himself!"

Okay then...show how it's different than this.

Yup.

But it's NOT stupid... How the Founders set it up.  Seems to be working.

Congressional elections are more dialed into the people every two years than the Electoral College, Popular Vote every 4 years.

It's a safety valve against Dudes like Trump that start tweaking with too much authoritarian ways.

Again... We revolted against a King NOT to instill another.

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That's why the Senate exists, as the grown-ups to keep the children from getting too rambunctious at the House kiddie table.

Bingo!

But when all is released and charges levied, will they appease, abdicate their responsibility?

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

...And you're ignoring the point made. Because you are incapable of an honest conversation.

Bull crap... Let the game play.  We are approaching the 4th Quarter.

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Bingo!

But when all is released and charges levied, will they appease, abdicate their responsibility?

That's funny.  In two lines, you argue that the Senate is a break on the House, but abdicates their responsibility if they act as a break on the House. 

If you want to know why people criticize you as blindly partisan...welp, there it is.  :doh:

33 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You actually list "things we don't know" as reasons for impeachment?  

We actually have a special council investigation, right? People are already in jail for all this, so ya, things we don't know yet. 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You are a stupid fu c c 

Go back and read what I wrote, idiot. Do it now! I order you. 

If you are not drunk you will see your mistake. 

Okay, let's see...Yep, you still list things you don't know as reasons for impeachment.

You now owe me $9 million.  I don't know the reasons why yet, but they exist and I'll find them eventually.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Okay, let's see...Yep, you still list things you don't know as reasons for impeachment.

You now owe me $9 million.  I don't know the reasons why yet, but they exist and I'll find them eventually.

Oops, my mistake, thinking you were capable of seeing your mistake. That's right, you are not normal enough to admit you are wrong. But hey, B-Man, a fellow cultist of yours, thinks you are correct. 

Trumptards happen! 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Remember, impeachment has always been part of The Process®.  The Constitutional Process.  It's NOT just your vote.  Our vote can be questioned. Congressional Districts, Constitutionally are more "dialed in" than say: Electoral College>Popular Vote & then...( >Congressional Districts.)

No laws need to be broken.

I know it's the HuffPost... But please read.  It's pretty straightforward:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c15302ee4b05d7e5d827572/amp?ncid=NEWSSTAND0001

Glean the X's & O's, if nothing else:

"...It’s Not A Criminal Prosecution

First off, the president doesn’t need to have violated a federal law ― or any other law ― for the House to file impeachment charges and for the Senate to convict him.

This has been further confused by ongoing media discussion about whether a sitting president can be indicted while in office, something about which there is considerable debate among legal scholars, because the Constitution doesn’t address it. The Justice Department has issued several memorandums on the subject over a period of decades, including the last one almost 20 years ago, which concluded that a sitting president cannot be indicted because it would “unconstitutionally undermine the capacity of the executive branch.”

Incoming House intelligence committee Chairman Adam Schiff recently said he believes it is constitutional to indict a sitting president and that the Justice Department should “re-examine” its guidance. (Ultimately, it might take the Supreme Court to decide.)..."

"...But again, criminal charges are a separate matter from impeachment. Presidents can be impeached for actions that are in fact a violation of the law, though it doesn’t mean they always should be impeached in those instances. And they can also be impeached because they’re believed to have abused their power, even if a criminal charge doesn’t apply. It’s up to Congress to decide what rises to an impeachable offense, defined by a term in the Constitution, “high crimes and misdemeanors,” that has always been up for grabs.

It’s Up To Congress

So, President Bill Clinton was impeached by the GOP-controlled House on two charges: perjury (lying to the FBI) and obstruction of justice. Both are also violations of U.S. law, but because the charges surrounded his lying about a private sexual matter, the Senate failed to meet the two-thirds threshold required to convict him on the charges and remove him from office. As Gerhardt notes, a substantial number of senators later explained their not-guilty vote by saying that the actions didn’t rise to an impeachable offense — punishment for which can only be removal from office, nothing less — and many pointed to the partisan agenda of House Republicans.

Conversely, impeachment charges can be brought for actions that aren’t illegal. President Richard Nixon resigned before he could be impeached, after the House Judiciary Committee had drawn up articles of impeachment. One of those articles charged that Nixon ordered the FBI and the IRS to torment his political enemies. A president directing the heads of agencies to take various actions is not illegal, but ― like Trump calling for investigations of his political enemies ― it was certainly an abuse of power, which the House Judiciary Committee at the time believed to be an impeachable offense..."

Is this the game the left wants to play? Your candidate lost, so lets impeach him. This is seen by anyone with a brain purely political. They have absolutely no chance of impeaching him. The left is acting like a bunch of babies with a diaper rash. 

I wish they would go in and try to fix healthcare, schools, infrastructure. Instead they want to impeach the president and end the electoral college. 

No political agenda there!

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think they (the righties here, AKA: "The Timmy's) are having a hard time with reading comprehension.  They simple are living in their "Timmy Bubble" NOT fully understanding the power built into the U.S. Constitution to handle dangerous, authoritative demagogues.

We fought a Revolution to remove a King... NOT to brings one back!

Timmy??

Grow up. You're just living up to the stereotype of the leftwing emotionally challenged Democrat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

That's funny.  In two lines, you argue that the Senate is a break on the House, but abdicates their responsibility if they act as a break on the House. 

If you want to know why people criticize you as blindly partisan...welp, there it is.  :doh:

It depends what comes out of the Mueller investigation.

I am a lib.   I hope that Muthaph...er really committed something!

He's immoral and the people that voted for him are equally culpable.

1 hour ago, westside said:

Is this the game the left wants to play? Your candidate lost, so lets impeach him. This is seen by anyone with a brain purely political. They have absolutely no chance of impeaching him. The left is acting like a bunch of babies with a diaper rash. 

I wish they would go in and try to fix healthcare, schools, infrastructure. Instead they want to impeach the president and end the electoral college. 

No political agenda there!

Timmy??

Grow up. You're just living up to the stereotype of the leftwing emotionally challenged Democrat.

Yes.  He's immoral, a dangerous demagogue... Then nail him.  That's what our system is suppose to do.

Sorry you were duped.  Get over it.

10 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Nothing sizes up the left better than this...

Four hours of work. Time for a break. And oh, you rich people that actually work for a living...we want 70% of what you make so we can continue to sit on our asses.

They've done their job, why stick around?  They passed the spending bill, now it's up to the Senate and White House to approve it.  

Because there is no compromise, on either side.  Because this isn't about policy, or morality, or what's good for the country, or anything other than partisan dominance.  Because let's face it: if the good of the country were at all involved, they'd recognize that a $5B wall is pretty much an irrelevancy.  This is about nothing more than power.

And it's being led by Trump and Pelosi - two of the dumbest, most emotionally stunted, most unreasonable people in the world, one of whom - Pelosi - has a history of throwing the country under the bus for partisanship, and the other who's a delusional narcissist with a history of "deal making" includes three bankruptcies.

The House may as well go to Disney World, for all it matters.  This isn't getting resolved soon, unless someone shoots both Trump and Pelosi.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

This isn't getting resolved soon, unless someone shoots both Trump and Pelosi.

Of course you mean this in a vague rhetorical sense, not in a Secret-Service-Knocking-At-Your-Door sense, right?

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Of course you mean this in a vague rhetorical sense, not in a Secret-Service-Knocking-At-Your-Door sense, right?

No, I mean it in a literal, but conditional and third-person general sense: if you want this resolved soon, then you will have to quickly get rid of both Trump and Pelosi, which implementation of "quickly" is limited to assassination.

I am not advocating for such, because I'm okay with this shutdown dragging out.  The hypothesis does not apply to me.

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It depends what comes out of the Mueller investigation.

I am a lib.   I hope that Muthaph...er really committed something!

He's immoral and the people that voted for him are equally culpable.

Yes.  He's immoral, a dangerous demagogue... Then nail him.  That's what our system is suppose to do.

Sorry you were duped.  Get over it.

I'm sorry you're an immature flake. Grow up traitor. 

34 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"I hope the president really is a traitor because I believe (without evidence) he's immoral". 

That's Exiled's logic... and all you really need to know about anything he posts. 

He's a waste of time.

Exhiled and Logic in the same sentence.

You guys are killing me today with the comedy.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Hank Johnson missed the boat. He forgot to mention all of those Trump supporters that died when Guam tipped over.

Yeah, he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. But he does keep getting reelected, and people invite him to say his stupidity,  soooo