Beane Acknowledges QB "Mistake" by Not Getting Anderson Sooner

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is both refreshing and encouraging to read.  He could have easily bullshitted or simply stayed silent.  I'm glad to see this.

I don't understand why anyone is so surprised.   Beane and McD are stand up guys.  They're not perfect and don't try to pass off to anyone that they are.  They do admit their mistakes.   One thing they won't do...one thing they shouldn't do...is throw anyone under the bus.  If a player doesn't work out, if a coach doesn't work out, they simply move on and wish them well.  

They're adults...even when the fans behave like children.

Just now, jkeerie said:

I don't understand why anyone is so surprised.   Beane and McD are stand up guys.  They're not perfect and don't try to pass off to anyone that they are.  They do admit their mistakes.   One thing they won't do...one thing they shouldn't do...is throw anyone under the bus.  If a player doesn't work out, if a coach doesn't work out, they simply move on and wish them well.  

They're adults...even when the fans behave like children.

Beane typically speaks with a lot more candor than McDermott who is usually very much guarded with the intention of revealing as little as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane typically speaks with a lot more candor than McDermott who is usually very much guarded with the intention of revealing as little as possible. 

I would agree with this...and I would think that McD would have to be more guarded.  He talks to the press on a more frequent basis.   He also needs to come across as more even-tempered to avoid being overtly critical of his players and coaches.  I would wager he is much more critical behind closed doors, or on the practice field.

Just now, jkeerie said:

I would agree with this...and I would think that McD would have to be more guarded.  He talks to the press on a more frequent basis.   He also needs to come across as more even-tempered to avoid being overtly critical of his players and coaches.  I would wager he is much more critical behind closed doors, or on the practice field.

Good take. 

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Honestly, it’s one of the few things lately that made me feel somewhat hopeful.

ive been at odds with some of beanes process. I feel like his timing and sequencing of moves, prioritization etc.... has been suspect. It’s silly but all the way back to firing the full staff and then rehiring a bunch instead of holding on to some.... 

to see him acknowledge imperfection is a bit heartening that he may be learning. 

Im not sure I love that Anderson’s the guy but at least he gets that having access to only one qb that knows the system behind your starter is no good. Basic. But better than not getting it still.

The problem with smugly telling the fanbase and media "stop questioning our seemingly counterintuitive decisions.....TRUST US.........we know we are right"  for a year is you are going to get called out for everything when it becomes obvious that you weren't right.

Beginning to own it is a start.

But the "I'm glad I got him here when I did" was a needless fish for credit though.............glad why?...........he's been terrible and they were routed in both games..........gee,  thanks Beano.:rolleyes:

Edited by BADOLBILZ

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Can we call this a mistake?

Derek Anderson has played exactly like a 35 year old career backup who had to be talked out of retirement. 

He's thrown 4 interceptions and has 2 fumbles, with 0 TDs. 

I mean is anyone sad he's gone? Or still think he's a meaningful improvement over what we had?

I don't. 

Exactly, Anderson is pure garbage 

9 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Also unfair because McD admitted his mistake when he started Peterman in the Chargers game last year.

Everyone screws up now and then; I respect leaders who own their mistakes and move forward instead of blaming others.

No he didnt. He never admitted to a mistake with Peterman. He said he didnt regret the decision, he regretted the result. 

I'm glad he admitted to the mistake, but it'd be less frustrating/worrisome if it wasn't such an obviously glaring mistake to begin with.

Yes, people learn from mistakes, but most people wouldn't need to make this mistake to "learn" from it. This was something the average armchair fan could've avoided with ease. 

It's like slamming your face into a brick wall & realizing it hurt, then saying "well now I know & learned from my mistake!" You don't really need to do that in order to know it would hurt. Sometimes you can learn from other people's mistakes without doing them yourself.

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

I'm glad he admitted to the mistake, but it'd be less frustrating/worrisome if it wasn't such an obviously glaring mistake to begin with.

Yes, people learn from mistakes, but most people wouldn't need to make this mistake to "learn" from it. This was something the average armchair fan could've avoided with ease. 

It's like slamming your face into a brick wall & realizing it hurt, then saying "well now I know & learned from my mistake!" You don't really need to do that in order to know it would hurt. Sometimes you can learn from other people's mistakes without doing them yourself.

It wasn't a brick wall, but Gus Frerotte essentially did what your last point was. Not saying it's right but anytime I'm reminded of Gus Frerotte doing that I laugh.

18 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Can we call this a mistake?

Derek Anderson has played exactly like a 35 year old career backup who had to be talked out of retirement. 

He's thrown 4 interceptions and has 2 fumbles, with 0 TDs. 

I mean is anyone sad he's gone? Or still think he's a meaningful improvement over what we had?

I don't. 

He can manage a game, unfortunately our offense as a whole is terrible and cant score points.  This causes us to fall behind on the scoreboard and put the ball in the QBs hands. Wether it be Derek, Tyrod, Josh Allen, Matt Moore, AJ Macarron none of these guys are players that will win when the game is put into there hands. With a stout defense in place this next offseason will be focused  on improving the offense. Lots of cap room to spend, a high draft pick which i think theyll attempt to trade back for multiple picks, and an entire offseason with Josh Allen practicing with the #1s, no way we dont improve

Those that want Peterman gone so bad might get their wishes tomorrow if Nate again stinks up the place, as there is an additional QB on the roster now, well two if the new WR is thrown in the mix (BTW, in the mix or not for a QB spot, I sure hope he is used to throw a pass on trick plays! I can't believe the Cheatriots have never used Elleman for that!). And both Allen and Anderson are likely back sooner than later. 

Easy to say fire X, fire Y, fire Z, but you need people to fill their spots! Am I confident in Peterman tomorrow? Hell no. But shut up already, he is the QB they have for now! In a way we did expect the QBs to be hurt  this season as the OLine had looked so bad early on and in preseason, but it has had more to do with bad luck than that. Yes Beane should have acted way earlier for Anderson and even to replace Peterman,  but we are NOW, not in lalaland, and Nate starts tomorrow. It's really his last chance to save his NLF career, not only his Bills one. 

Beane is a new guy, so is McD, and even vets make mistakes so they have some leeway. But, QB is the most important position in football yet we didn't get any sense of urgency from the Bills brass. For a long while there was only Josh and Nate on the roster, even after the later was benched. No excuse for that, seriously. 

21 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is both refreshing and encouraging to read.  He could have easily bullshitted or simply stayed silent.  I'm glad to see this.

At least he's acknowledging this. That's basically start. The first step is knowing. The next step is NOT SCREWING UP YOUR QB ROTATION TO OBLIVION. 

Although I sound like I,'m specifically talking about bills footbal, lt's the general principal to anyone trying to improve rn. Don't screw up your QBs and throw those self help books out the window.

Unless the self help book is "how to cope with your favorite team's GM wrecking the QB position."

23 hours ago, rodneykm said:

Absolutely love that he's not too big to admit when he's made a mistake. This should encourage everyone. Now, the key part is learning from those mistakes. 

...and I agree.......came in AFTER McDermott which seems awkward to me as far as power........cobbled together a 2017 roster and the playoff schneid unsuspectingly was broken with Divine Dalton Intervention"......first draft graded out "A" in many circles.....cleaned up cap and dead wood, although I think sacrificing Cordy to move up with a woeful OL was questionable....same for thinking Peterman based on practice and pre-season with rubber bullets was ready for "live ammo" making McCarron prematurely expendable with no backup plan if he "petered out"......so Josh starts despite not being ready and presses to carry the team with a questionable supporting cast.....McBeane has an obvious learning curve as does McDermott and Daboll.....so I respect that he manned up as few do.......look at the impotent Grigson blaming the Colts MULTIPLE woes on Luck's extension.....2019 is definitely a pivotal, defining and perhaps one of the most important years in the last decade+ with 10 picks and a bundle of FA cash, so stay tuned.......wallowing next year at the SAME 2-6 raises genuine concerns IMO....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy