How much would you pay for a Kelly picture or autograph?

Just Jack

41 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

Honestly nothing.  Nothing against Jim I just wouldnt pay anyone to get their autograph.  

Same here. Some people are collectors though.  I was talking to a friend who is a collector about the recent trend of crossover jerseys and bobble heads.  I think they’re weird but as a collector he likes them.  A recent bobble head here in the BayArea is Kevin Durant in a San Jose Sharks jersey holding a hockey stick.  There have also been Warriors jerseys in the colors of the A’s and the Sharks and vice versa. I wouldn’t buy one but people do.

4 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Same here. Some people are collectors though.  I was talking to a friend who is a collector about the recent trend of crossover jerseys and bobble heads.  I think they’re weird but as a collector he likes them.  A recent bobble head here in the BayArea is Kevin Durant in a San Jose Sharks jersey holding a hockey stick.  There have also been Warriors jerseys in the colors of the A’s and the Sharks and vice versa. I wouldn’t buy one but people do.

No doubt, there is a very real and legitimate market for this stuff. I’m not part of it, but it’s there whether I play or not. 

1 hour ago, no name said:

some may not agree but the value goes beyond price for a die hard bills fan. the younger fans may feel it to be pricey but living through his career and all he brought to not only the team but community as well is worth every penny.

^^^^^^This. Could not have said better. The cool part is that what he’s shown since he retired proves he’s an even better person off the field. May not be the NFL’s QB GOAT, but he’s our franchise GOAT, IMHO. 

My younger son paid a fortune for a signed Bruce Smith jersey for his older brother for Christmas. We paid almost as much to have it framed, because we are softies.  It’s now a prized piece hanging in the younger son’s media room, and a family heirloom. 

• Like (+1) 1

My ex-wife did charity work way back with someone from the Pats who got her (me) a football w/ Jim, Bruce, TT, Andre and a couple other sigs after a game.  It's still in the case downstairs in the basement.

Edited by KD in CA

I paid $145 on ebay for a real nice framed certified autographed picture of no. 12 handing off to no. 34. Autographed by both. It was a nice addition to the man cave and well worth it imo.

And some of you guys have the nerve to call Ralph cheap!

Edited by bmur66

Unless it’s a little kid, i would never sign anything for free.  At Sabres games/practices , I’ve seen too many losers with their backpacks full of pictures, pucks, cards and anything else they can get a player to sign...only looking to make a quick buck off it. There is zero interest on their part in terms of collecting.  

Therefore, I don’t blame players for charging for their John Hancock.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

I would guess though surviving cancer makes the price of an autograph go up?

I would wager it’s the exact opposite. Would become more ‘valuable’ when you can’t get it anymore. For example, you can’t get all three of the French Connections auto anymore. 

$0 because I'm a grown man and I'm not going to ask another man to scribble their signature on something. And if I see Jim in public I'm going to leave him alone because he's just a person trying to live his life. He doesn't owe me or anyone else anything

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Thats slightly higher than what he gets around the country - but they need to make a buck. There is likley a guarantee which will stick this company with excess stuff to sell over the course of years to make their $$ back. The public is prob just extra. I doubt he actually needs the $$ from signing, but thats the going rate for a hof qb that isnt at every show. Im sure his health doesnt play a direct roll, but it is what it is. When he signs around here, its generally along with something and much lower if a charge at all. He seems aware that buffalo has a saturation of his signature as he has signed often and cheap/free for 30 years. Thats why you generally never see these prices locally- fwiw.

100% agree. For sure, he doesn't need the money and I would go a step further in saying that if they asked him to, he would probably do it for free if he's not already. Usually, former players like this get a flat rate they are paid and a percentage of what is sold depending on what the proceeds of the sale are going to. 

I have been lucky enough to meet Jim on several occasions over the years and gotten his Autograph a few of those times. I never once had to pay for the signing. He is a genuine guy who loves Buffalo Bills fans and i would be shocked if he was making any more money that just a sitting fee for doing this.

Edited by BigPappy

I have many Kelly autographs -including rookie cards, helmet and footballs. Their value continues to grow though he signed them for free (the helmet -with 6 Bills HOFers won in a silent auction). No desire to sell them yet..

Chad’s rookie card, on the other hand, is currently worthless, though he could be headed down the Aaron Hernandez path. Posthumously, it could have real Star Power..

4 hours ago, BigPappy said:

100% agree. For sure, he doesn't need the money and I would go a step further in saying that if they asked him to, he would probably do it for free if he's not already. Usually, former players like this get a flat rate they are paid and a percentage of what is sold depending on what the proceeds of the sale are going to. 

I have been lucky enough to meet Jim on several occasions over the years and gotten his Autograph a few of those times. I never once had to pay for the signing. He is a genuine guy who loves Buffalo Bills fans and i would be shocked if he was making any more money that just a sitting fee for doing this.

This is far enough away from Buffalo where they can charge. He doesnt set the fee per se in regard to how much THEY charge for his signature. The fee for his appearance is xxx with xxx amount of signatures guaranteed.  I have no idea how this particular company worked out the public portion ie if they split it or since he gets xxx the company set that price to help them recoup what is already spent. Again, its why now days in buffalo his signings accompany something like open a checking acount, get a auto. Buy a book, get an auto, take a tour of the gym.. you get the idea. Its a way not to have to charge buffalo folks who have been getting his autographs cheap or free forever not to become aleinated. The company pays the appearance fee essentially and takes the hit of the built in auto fees for the attraction.  In situations like this, before he even gets to the public portion the company will have a room where they have say xx full size and mini Bills helmets (same w miami and houston) as well as stacks of cut white numbers ( to be signed and sewn on jerseys later)and 8x10s etc. They sell this over time to pay and make $$ from the signing. The public portion is almost an afterthought. Also, personally, i collect Kelly gamers. I dont always get them signed but a couple of the rare ones such as his 94 throwback, home Gamblers, or built in handwarmer (favorites from my collection for example) Kelly in particular has always been gracious enough to sign with no charge simply it seems bc he can tell Im a fan. Not all signings work like this. Im not a big auto guy and only collect game worn jerseys - but working in the industry ive seen how things work via my employer. 

Also of note, the industry has changed. Now athletes have different signatures. One for the ball park or public, a nicer one for paying customers. Bruce is another who doesnt need to sign and whos signature charge has crept up over the $100 mark. For a HOF qb who doesnt always sign, kellys prices are actually modest. Check out Marino, Montana, or Young for example.