Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Too much cash involved to play politics. But looking back, Trump was as high as +550, which is crazy. Basically 10K would have returned 65K!

If they have no shot, you stand to make a killing.

Beto couldn't win Texas against Cruz who's despised there... yet he's going to turn the state blue against Trump who's loved? Not a chance. 

Beto will get exposed as a fraud the longer he remains in the race. He's an empty suit, buoyed by cash from California. 

Harris is a better candidate than Beto but she's deeply flawed. Her prosecutorial record will hurt her in the primary, not to mention her past. She has no substantial legislative achievement as a Senator (nor does Beto). The only thing she has going for her is her gender. 

Both struggle carrying their messages nationally because both are carrying the flag for the progressive-fascist side of the party. 

Prog-fascists cannot win at the ballot box. That's why they keep trying to change the rules.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Beto couldn't win Texas against Cruz who's despised there... yet he's going to turn the state blue against Trump who's loved? Not a chance. 

Beto will get exposed as a fraud the longer he remains in the race. He's an empty suit, buoyed by cash from California. 

Harris is a better candidate than Beto but she's deeply flawed. Her prosecutorial record will hurt her in the primary, not to mention her past. She has no substantial legislative achievement as a Senator (nor does Beto). The only thing she has going for her is her gender. 

Both struggle carrying their messages nationally because both are carrying the flag for the progressive-fascist side of the party. 

Prog-fascists cannot win at the ballot box. That's why they keep trying to change the rules.

I don't think anyone expects Beto to win Texas. His challenge will be winning Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Obama won those states so it's certainly within the realm of possibility. I'd personally hate to see the Dems nominate Biden because he "plays well with the white working class." Elections are all about turnout and I believe Beto has the best chance of getting a**es in the seats. Nobody gave Obama or Trump much of a chance IIRC.

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't think anyone expects Beto to win Texas. His challenge will be winning Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Obama won those states so it's certainly within the realm of possibility. I'd personally hate to see the Dems nominate Biden because he "plays well with the white working class." Elections are all about turnout and I believe Beto has the best chance of getting a**es in the seats. Nobody gave Obama or Trump much of a chance IIRC.

I know you're of a different political opinion than myself (which is why I'm glad you're posting down here :beer: ) - and you're right about it being so early who knows what will change between now and November 2020, and about Biden. 

But neither Harris nor Beto draw like Trump. 30% of the audience in grand rapids this week were registered democrats in Michigan... 30%. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I know you're of a different political opinion than myself (which is why I'm glad you're posting down here :beer: ) - and you're right about it being so early who knows what will change between now and November 2020, and about Biden. 

But neither Harris nor Beto draw like Trump. 30% of the audience in grand rapids this week were registered democrats in Michigan... 30%. 

I've never ONCE underestimated Trump's political prowess. Not once. As a matter of fact, I predicted he would win in 2016. As Hillary Clinton admitted in her book, he's crazy like a FOX. So it doesn't surprise me one bit that Trump is a huge draw in Grand Rapids. He's a force.

Coming from the opposite side of the aisle, I see a potential political force in Beto (empty suit or not). The concern I have with Harris is her white husband. From a political perspective, that could put a big-time damper on black male turnout. 

I generally make it a point to avoid policy matters down here because I'd have to expend a tremendous amount of time/energy to compete. You guys are good.:beer:

• Thank you (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Beto also has a DUI in his background. That will NOT play well with many voters, especially since he's already Ted Kennedy-esque.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Beto also has a DUI in his background. That will NOT play well with many voters, especially since he's already Ted Kennedy-esque.

I don't think a DUI will change a single vote. As a matter of fact, I think it would be a mistake for the right to even make it an issue. All the attempts to assassinate Trump's character not only didn't land, but actually backfired. I still remember laughing at the left for their big 2000 October surprise; W got a DUI 30 years ago! Just don't see it having any play. 

31 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Agreed  for the most part although I'm not crazy about Beto.  People who think Trump has WI, PA, and MI locked up for 2020 are overlooking the razor thin margin he won by in all three states and how he's done nothing to expand his base in those states.  His attack on the ACA won't help.  The people who just assumed Hillary would win and stay home won't make that mistake again.  You run the right candidate and Ohio, Florida, and North Carolina could also be up for grabs. 

Trump will get more votes from the 2016 conservative "Never Trumpers" in the red states he won in 2016 where Romney got more votes in 2012.  It's even possible he wins the popular vote and loses the electoral college.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Trump will get more votes from the 2016 conservative "Never Trumpers" in the red states he won in 2016 where Romney got more votes in 2012.  It's even possible he wins the popular vote and loses the electoral college.

Wouldn't THAT be something? Wonder if the Dimocrats would be calling for its removal then?

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't think a DUI will change a single vote. As a matter of fact, I think it would be a mistake for the right to even make it an issue. All the attempts to assassinate Trump's character not only didn't land, but actually backfired. I still remember laughing at the left for their big 2000 October surprise; W got a DUI 30 years ago! Just don't see it having any play. 

My gut feeling is that Beto has a lot more in his closet, crying to get out. Not so much illegal stuff but stuff that will show him as a really quirky kind of guy. Eating dirt kind of quirky.

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Coming from the opposite side of the aisle, I see a potential political force in Beto (empty suit or not). The concern I have with Harris is her white husband. From a political perspective, that could put a big-time damper on black male turnout. 

Beto makes white progressives wet but he won't draw the working class black and hispanic turnout the way Obama did.  If anything, the working class black and hispanic numbers may increase for Trump

Just now, /dev/null said:

Beto makes white progressives wet but he won't draw the working class black and hispanic turnout the way Obama did.  If anything, the working class black and hispanic numbers may increase for Trump

I'm pretty in tune with the African Canadian community. One of my best friends is black.:D I think you're underestimating his appeal with that demo. Not gonna draw black folk at Obama numbers, but if you watched him speak Spanish today, it's entirely plausible he could outperform Obama with hispanics. Unfortunately, not many of them live in MI/WI/PA. 

Policy (or lack thereof) aside, Beto is the guy I view as having the best political instincts in the field. JMO. 

A lot of what I've read in the past 10 posts or so seems largely irrelevant.  How will Beto's DUI play in an election?  It won't, because no one's going to change their vote to Trump over it.  How will Harris' white husband affect things?  Not much, because no one's going to vote for Trump over her because of it.

The Democrats' problem in 2020 isn't so much that their candidate is running against Trump, as much as their candidate is running against "***** it, I'm staying home."  Same dynamic as in 2016: high turnout favors the Democratic candidate.  Except now the Democrats have taken identity politics to such an insane level that any candidate is likely to alienate part of their electorate.  Their best bet is probably Gillibrand, since she's equally uninspiring to everyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I've never ONCE underestimated Trump's political prowess. Not once. As a matter of fact, I predicted he would win in 2016. As Hillary Clinton admitted in her book, he's crazy like a FOX. So it doesn't surprise me one bit that Trump is a huge draw in Grand Rapids. He's a force.

I generally make it a point to avoid policy matters down here because I'd have to expend a tremendous amount of time/energy to compete. You guys are good.:beer:

Post more. Differing viewpoints are appreciated. Especially when they're well thought out like yours. (And i disagree with your politics.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Are we this shallow as an electorate that the color of a spouse is given any weight at all?

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm pretty in tune with the African Canadian community. One of my best friends is black.:D I think you're underestimating his appeal with that demo. Not gonna draw black folk at Obama numbers, but if you watched him speak Spanish today, it's entirely plausible he could outperform Obama with hispanics. Unfortunately, not many of them live in MI/WI/PA. 

Policy (or lack thereof) aside, Beto is the guy I view as having the best political instincts in the field. JMO. 

Beto has already come out and said he'd like to tear down the 700 miles of fencing that we already have at the border. Just one more reason for him to be labeled as "far left".

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

My gut feeling is that Beto has a lot more in his closet, crying to get out. Not so much illegal stuff but stuff that will show him as a really quirky kind of guy. Eating dirt kind of quirky.

So he practices geophagy? He’s a pica. Hoo new?!!!