Does anyone else wonder if Allen is hurt?

Fact: all through the draft process, TC and pre-season Allen's Achilles heel has been his inability to throw those short swing passes or dump-offs accurately.  He usually fires them from a cannon and they're high.

Was watching the condensed game in slowmo and couldn't help noticing that many of Allen's completions were low throws.  KB had to go down for his one completion, and our backs and TE did a nice job for the most part adjusting for low throws.  Not horrid low in most cases, but off target low.  At least 2 incompletions, though, were too low for our guys to dig out

Now many of these throws, he was throwing on the run without his feet set.  One possibility is that he's working on those kind of throws and he's over-compensating at present, instead of too high, they're too low.  A bit low is where a QB wants those passes to be vs. high where the receiver might tip them up for an airball and INT - though not quite as low as Allen is placing them.

Another possibility, though: maybe Allen is hurt, and they implemented such a run-heavy game plan (as well as, in rumor, ramping up negotiations for a backup) to hide Allen and give him a chance to heal?   Allen was sacked 7 times last week, plus a bunch more hits and 5 tackles when he ran.

He missed the last 2 games last fall with a sprained A/C joint in his throwing shoulder and he lost a season in 2015 to a clavicle broken in 7 different places and repaired with a steel plate.  So there is reason for concern.

Argument against the "hurt" might be when he was throwing from the pocket with his feet set, as in the INT to Holmes and the 12 yd pass to Zay, were on the money and had plenty of zip, even at the end of the game.

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fact: all through the draft process, TC and pre-season Allen's Achilles heel has been his inability to throw those short swing passes or dump-offs accurately.  He usually fires them from a cannon and they're high.

Was watching the condensed game in slowmo and couldn't help noticing that almost every single completion of Allen's was a low throw.  KB had to go down for his one completion, and our backs and TE did a nice job for the most part adjusting for low throws.

One possibility is that he's working on those kind of throws and he's over-compensating at present, instead of too high, they're too low.

Another possibility, though: maybe Allen is hurt, and they implemented such a run-heavy game plan (as well as, in rumor, ramping up negotiations for a backup) to hide Allen and give him a chance to heal?   Allen was sacked 7 times last week, plus a bunch more hits and 5 tackles when he ran.

He missed the last 2 games last fall with a sprained A/C joint in his throwing shoulder and he lost a season in 2015 to a clavicle broken in 7 different places and repaired with a steel plate.

I'm sure most have noticed the low throws. Personally I don't think he's hurt. I believe he's over thinking and afraid he's gonna over throw the receiver so he's taking too much off the pass. His screen passes did look pretty good in comparison to the past weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

I know against the Green Bay game he was shaking off something with his right forearm/wrist. I think it got beat up pretty good on one of his bajillion sacks but he finished the game, was off the injury report last week and finished yesterday's game so, I assume it's good.

His ball placement yesterday was wonky save for a few throws (that throw over the middle to Clay is one of the nicest throws he's made as a pro QB) and that's usually a result of not having his feet set correctly. Right now, I think his internal clock is moving pretty quick. He rarely gets time to throw and he's obviously being coached to get rid of the ball fast as a way to negate the rush. So, after the snap, his thought process might be, "Must get rid of it, gotta hurry, gotta hurry" and that's just a product of being a rookie right now. Game hasn't slowed down for him yet. I think it will. He's also being thrown a lot of different things right now. I'm sure coaches are careful with how much stuff they give to him but even with that, QB is the hardest job in sports, have to know everything. 

While the game plan on offense yesterday wasn't flashy, it worked. They consistently picked up first downs and moved the ball well on most series'. They simplified things for Allen and leaned on the run, which is what they should be doing game by game.

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Allen fired a laser to Clay over the middle.  That’s not the throw of a QB that’s hurt.  

I think it’s just a break down in mechanics/thinking too much on some throws.

There were several guided missiles, including at the end of the game.  On the other hand, Romo once threw missiles to win a game with a genuine broken clavicle.  We ordinary Schmos have no idea just how physically tough football players who reach the NFL can be.

It may be not so much a breakdown in mechanics, as he's trying to develop mechanics for throws that were never there.  Since the throws wound up where the receiver had a legit play on them and the DBs didn't, it's All Good.

10 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I'm sure most have noticed the low throws. Personally I don't think he's hurt. I believe he's over thinking and afraid he's gonna over throw the receiver so he's taking too much off the pass. His screen passes did look pretty good in comparison to the past weeks.

Could well be.  As I said, the observation pre-draft was that he was consistently high with these throws, which is worse than low - a high throw that's tipped up by the receiver becomes an INT, whereas a low throw gets knocked down into the dirt and we live to play another down.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Was watching the condensed game in slowmo and couldn't help noticing that many of Allen's completions were low throws.  KB had to go down for his one completion, and our backs and TE did a nice job for the most part adjusting for low throws.  Not horrid low in most cases, but off target low.  At least 2 incompletions, though, were too low for our guys to dig out

Now many of these throws, he was throwing on the run without his feet set.  One possibility is that he's working on those kind of throws and he's over-compensating at present, instead of too high, they're too low.  A bit low is where a QB wants those passes to be vs. high where the receiver might tip them up for an airball and INT - though not quite as low as Allen is placing them.

He missed the last 2 games last fall with a sprained A/C joint in his throwing shoulder and he lost a season in 2015 to a clavicle broken in 7 different places and repaired with a steel plate.  So there is reason for concern.

Argument against the "hurt" might be when he was throwing from the pocket with his feet set, as in the INT to Holmes and the 12 yd pass to Zay, were on the money and had plenty of zip, even at the end of the game.

Thoughts?

I think he's getting a little gun-shy due to a lack of receiver separation and the familiarity of what he's seeing from the defense.  Seriously don't think he's hurt,  given his mobility throughout the game.

• Like (+1) 2

At his age, being "hurt" is just a nuisance. You still think you're Superman so you can still go 100%.

He looked pretty darn good running in for that TD - so not likely anything major going on with the Achilles.

It's not until 30+ yrs old that you start worrying about consequences and letting injuries slow you down (of course broken bones and ACL type injuries are different).

10 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I agree with this.

The low throws were obvious, however he had some passes that were right on target. Nearly every pass to Zay was where it should have been.

The pass to Andre Holmes was on the money. Holmes just didn't catch it and it was intercepted.

If he is hurt they don't run him up the middle on a called QB draw on 3rd and 22 way out of FG range. That's stupid when he is healthy. 

I was a little disappointed in his footwork yesterday. There were 3-4 times when he had time and knew where he was going to throw and still didn't use good technique. Even a couple of them weren't bad passes. He has to get those right. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Commonsense said:

No. I think Daboll and McD decided it was best to design a scheme that protects the young QB instead of opening things up and letting him get ravaged for another 4 quarters.

Or they came to the brilliant realization that they are paying Shady McCoy, their best player, $40m to not give him the ball. 

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then how do you explain some of the guided missiles he throws every game?

He's inaccurate, except when he isn't?

Because it's statistics...  It's not that he can't throw it accurately, it's that he can't do it consistently.  We can say he lacks high repeatability.

Edited by PeterDude
  • Haha (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I think he's getting a little gun-shy due to a lack of receiver separation and the familiarity of what he's seeing from the defense.  Seriously don't think he's hurt,  given his mobility throughout the game.

I don't think a shoulder injury would affect his mobility.

On the other hand, I did cite as a counter-argument, that he made some pretty precise throws, including late in the game - usually from the pocket.

So maybe it is just over-compensating for a type of on-the-move short to intermediate throw that used to be consistently high.

I just don't think he's that good.

This is how he looked in college, we shouldn't  expect him to do better in the pros in his first year.

2018 is important for Josh Allen's development, not only for him to get better but for us to make sure he has "it". If we don't think he can develop, he need to cut bait and not him hold us back in the future.

I hope i'm wrong and he's the 2020 MVP

Edited by uticaclub
  • Thank you (+1) 1