Derek Anderson to sign with Bills per Mort

I like the signing. Seems like Beane waited until he found a veteran QB who would actually mentor Allen and they know him, like him.

Changes nothing on the field. If he picks up the playbook quick enough I gotta wonder if they plan on keeping Peterman

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's the closest thing to Peterman-quality on the market.

That's truly terrible.

They need a smart, veteran QB in the room to help mentor Allen and take some snaps for the team when he goes on IR in November.........but that's not Derek Anderson........this isn't a McCown-type............he has been truly atrocious for virtually his entire career.

Sooo you want McCown then? Or who else would be better? I think we need a capable back up behind Allen regardless, but for what purpose this year? Also, by "need a smart, veteran QB in the room to help mentor Allen," do you mean a coach? One that maybe knows the QB position? And is paid to be the "QB coach?" Because that's essentially what we are now double-paying for if Anderson is signed. I wish we could cut a coach to save a roster spot, but there's no rule or practice anywhere that says you need a smart, veteran QB to help teach you the game before you can succeed - nor is there any guarantee that having one will even help in the slightest. 

Unpopular opinion: let Peterman be the cheap back up option this year and BRING IN AN ACTUAL QB COACH OR OC WHO KNOWS THE POSITION. I get we need to help him develop now, and I don't fully disagree with this move (if he signs), but let's bring in someone whose purpose is to develop Allen. He is the future at the moment, and whether it's Allen or someone else next year, or a few seasons down the line, we still need an OC/QB coach capable of developing players at that position. 

Edited by ctk232

well flame away on me but i'm still going to go to bat for nate.  that 1st game was in a torrential nonstop downpour. it was dabol's debut and it appears so far that the ravens did some serious improvement over the off season.

they probably got a lot of looks that neither dreamed of seeing...like  "oh sh.t, didn't see that coming"...and btw the way the biggest suck for the oline was in fact game one.

i don't think his pre season performance was a fluke. he just never got a chance to get anything going. of course that excuse is good for anybody not named nate, but that aside, i think somewhere, sometime he's gonna prove himself and his worth. i am grateful that so far mcd feels the same way.   they see enough in that guy to not let him go just yet.

derek should be fine as a sideline qb coach, but nothing more would i expect from him.

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

well flame away on me but i'm still going to go to bat for nate.  that 1st game was in a torrential nonstop downpour. it was dabol's debut and it appears so far that the ravens did some serious improvement over the off season.

they probably got a lot of looks that neither dreamed of seeing...like  "oh sh.t, didn't see that coming"...and btw the way the biggest suck for the oline was in fact game one.

i don't think his pre season performance was a fluke. he just never got a chance to get anything going. of course that excuse is good for anybody not named nate, but that aside, i think somewhere, sometime he's gonna prove himself and his worth. i am grateful that so far mcd feels the same way.   they see enough in that guy to not let him go just yet.

derek should be fine as a sideline qb coach, but nothing more would i expect from him.

...not sure what it is, but Nate is okay with rubber bullets but wilts with live ammo...not sure how many more shots he gets to change this, with confidence/trust being huge........the "Snow Game" was different because the white stuff slowed the game to a crawl.......

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

If they sign Anderson, I would think NP goes to the practice squad as no other team is going to pick him up. Waste of a roster spot otherwise.

...could be permanent residency if he continues to wilt with live ammo.....

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Bills coach Sean McDermott said Monday that veteran QB Derek Anderson visited the team Monday but "nothing his final" with his potential signing. McDermott said there is a "lot of value" in signing the 35-year old Anderson to add to the two quarterbacks (Josh Allen and Nathan Peterman) already in the room. "I think highly of Derek," McDermott said.

21 minutes ago, the skycap said:

What's the delay? Either he wants to be here or not. I'd rather have Matt Moore to be honest. At least he won some games

Rumors are Matt Moore,s arm is shot. He has been declining several invites to try out.

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

What's the delay? Either he wants to be here or not. I'd rather have Matt Moore to be honest. At least he won some games

Matt Moore isn’t interested in playing anymore. He turned down a workout with another team that contacted him.