What is or was your expectations for 2018

I was expecting a process....

Honestly I realized this year was not going to be great, most likely 3-5 wins and a top draft pick. I just thought the games would be more competitive than the blowouts with the defense being better than they played the first 6 quarters. 

Now, still expecting 3-5 wins and just hoping to see Allen progress come the later part of the season. 

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Oh THAT'S the excuse now, huh?

This was totally called going into the Minnie game, where the the question was, what would the cover story become if the Bills pulled off one of the greatest regular season upsets in their history? Now that they did, but then fell back to earth last week, no surprise that it had nothing to do with Bills' own efforts during that game. I admit I also felt like it could wind up a trap game for Minnesota, but the game itself just felt like Buffalo got after it and whipped them straight up. Zimmer said the same thing after in his postgame presser.

I expected to see a tough season for a team with a lot of inexperience. I'll admit, at first it was hard to shake off the whole, "But they made the playoffs last season, surely they can compete again and at least hit 8-8, 7-9" because, at the time, I was seeing a lot of abysmal record predictions like 3-13 and whatnot and my first thought would be, "Nah, this team has more talent and a lot of competitive fire in them, they can eek out more than 3 wins." But as we rolled through training camp and pre-season, I started realizing that, yeah, those predictions might be true.

So, I separated my fandom from the team for this season. I'm still tuning in and watching every game because I'm looking for progress in these inexperienced players that are set up to be the future of the franchise. But, I don't watch with a whole lot of emotion. There's no "edge of your seat" type nerves or anything. I'm fine with them losing a bunch this season. I'm pretty sure that was actually part of the plan this year. I mean, honestly, for pretty much the entire 2000s, this franchise has tried putting band-aids and filling spots with this guy or that guy with a "we can win now!" attitude. Seemed like none of the regimes they hired (until now) could see the forest for the trees and realize that the team needed a full-on overhaul. 

Obviously, I'd like them to be a bit more entertaining that what we saw last Sunday. That was one of the roughest offensive outings I've seen in recent memory. I know Allen is a project and needs time, but holy crap on a stick, I don't know what the hell Juan Castillo is teaching this OL. I mean, they aren't the most talented group but they are NFL players and it's true, I have seen all five of those guys win at least a dozen one-on-one match-ups this season. It's the constant free rushers that baffle me. Gotta be able to adjust on the fly. Isn't that what Daboll's scheme is all about? He wants to be "multiple" and be able to change it up from week to week based on the opponent. Maybe they've been trying to do that but honestly, I think they just need to get back to basics right now. Simplify things for Allen, get Shady and the run game going (Chris Ivory has been a nice surprise, always thought he was a solid back but if you buy into 75% of the posters on this board you'd be led to believe that he is AN ABSOLUTE EMBARRASSMENT TO THE BUFFALO BILLS BECAUSE OF HIS STUPID 2.9 YPC IN JACKSONVILLE!") because he and Ivory are actually a pretty nice little 1-2 punch, and then try the ol' play action. How's about just not abandoning Shady after 5 carries and calling constant passes against a unique/exotic-look defense with an inexperienced rookie QB? Try the KISS method - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Defensively, I feel like they are on the right track. Defense is responsible for carrying Carolina into being a steady contender over the last few years and it's pretty clear that getting the defense to do the same is the goal here in Buffalo. I think they've built the defense the right way. They have a mix of long time vets, then a mix of "prime years" players who have 4-7 years of experience but are still under 30 (Hyde, Poyer, Murphy, Lotulelei, etc.). After that, I feel like they have a very good core of young players. Tre' White, Tremaine Edmunds, Harrison Phillips, Matt Milano, Shaq Lawson (I'm fully aware his draft status has not matched his play but they may be onto something with this DT/DE role they have him in, I'm willing to give him a bit more time), etc. I wonder if Ryan Lewis might turn out to be a decent corner opposite Tre' and I keep seeing progress in Taron Johnson week to week. In fact, you could say that he was one of the top performers against GB last week. Very good awareness/instincts, and a sure tackler. Also, not afraid to throw himself around.

By season's end, I'd just like to see them trending upwards. Maybe finish with a couple victories. We know the path to success isn't linear, it's gonna swing up and down a lot, but by the final quarter of the season (last four games, not final game quarter) I hope I see these guys playing with confidence and cohesion. And obviously, stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What makes you think the Bills have a prayer of winning against the Titans?  The Titans have a stout defense and an offense that's at least competent enough to score two or three times against a bad-to-mediocre defense like the Bills put on the field.  The Bills have what?  A good FG who'll likely not leave the bench except for half time.

Like the Bay City Rollers the Bills can make me believe in magic?

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

All I wanted was competitive and improving football, regardless of record. 1/4 through the season, it looks like they will be letting me down. 

If they care to bother trying the last six weeks they will probably face a few teams that don’t care, so it will look better than it is.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

#!&%$ Now I have an earworm. ?

How many years since you last heard that one?   I estimate 35 easily....

58 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Expectations were 7-9, pretty much a rebuilding year with a bad oline and no wrs.   I expected us to be 0-4 right now to be honest.    But not to be flat out blown out like we were in Baltimore and LA.    Losses yes, humiliating losses, not so much.  

I expected us to be using McCoy more.   

1. Showtime for some on the coaching staff regardless of tenure. Next year is big FA money and 10 picks. Do we have the right staff in place?

2. 4, 5 or 6 wins doesn't really matter IMO. That is probably the range of realistic expectations. Painful? Certainly. So you try like hell to remain as competitive as possible while using the year as a major evaluative process.

3. What vets under contract through 2018 may be worth keeping in FA? How far are you willing to go and at what price?

4. What vets under contract through 2019 and beyond are worth keeping?

5. Plenty of youngsters on the club. So should you extend more playing time to those that are getting some as well as others who are getting none? How else do you know exactly what you may have if they're NOT tested with "live ammo"? Didn't Peterman look good with "rubber bullets" but wilts with "live ammo"? Need more surprises like that when the need arises to play someone untested? We snagged the Lewis kid from Pats PS and he was pressed into service. Do you think they would ALL perform like that?

Sure the 17 year drought was old, but was breaking it an "anomaly" and we're starting a new one? May as we find out what we have now (yup, I know, the same old tired "rinse and repeat" refrain) heading into 2019 with "loot and picks". Will 2019 be better?.....stay tuned............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's a chaser for ya

You're welcome!

Grrrrrrrr ?

?

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

How many years since you last heard that one?   I estimate 35 easily....

Sounds about right. ?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 10/4/2018 at 4:40 PM, Soda Popinski said:

Expectations were 7-9, pretty much a rebuilding year with a bad oline and no wrs.   I expected us to be 0-4 right now to be honest.    But not to be flat out blown out like we were in Baltimore and LA.    Losses yes, humiliating losses, not so much.  

I expected us to be using McCoy more.   

Not looking real bad with Josh under center.  

Tough start with the schedule 2 home games on 6 doesn’t help 

• Like (+1) 1

We are only 1 game up of where I thought we'd be at this point.  So I'll take that.  The only two things I thought would be different are:

1) I thought the defense would be a lot better.  It has played very well in spurts and pretty bad/soft in spurts.

2)  I always thought Allen would win the starter job but that our M.O would be to run the football A LOT with a rookie QB at the helm.  We have not done that.  We've put way too much on Allen's shoulders and the last game it got so ugly.

Now, I will say this, I was soo against the Allen pick.  However, as time moved, I grew to like the pick.  I don't think these bad games will ruin Allen.  I really don't.  He's got the right mindset and attitude, at least that's what he shows in the interviews.  I think he will learn from these and find ways to fine tune his craft.

All I can hope for is to see Allen, Edmunds, Johnson, Phillips improve week by week.  If I can see some upswing and promise from those players, while I would like more wins, I wouldn't care if we lost games.  Just let me see that all of those guys HAVE IT.  Just let me see that Edmunds is just as comfortable at MLB as Tre White was at CB in his rookie season.  IF I can see that from Edmunds by game 10 and until the end of the season then I'm happy.  If I can see Josh the same way at QB then I'm a happy camper.  At this point for me, it's not about wins but about these young guys improving and showing that they have the talent and understanding and playmaking ability to be winners as we move forward.

Edited by NewEraBills

On 10/4/2018 at 9:23 PM, KGun12TD said:

Superbowl win. Losers expect less. Will it happen...maybe not...but I expect a SB win every year.

That’s the spirit! But is it safe to say that you are not in an actuarial profession, like underwriting life insurance? How do you deal with the inevitable heartbreak the Bills have offered up since the AFL championship parties?