McBeane's way of rebuilding makes no sense

Jerry Jabber

Seems McBeane is intent on gutting this roster of players from the Whaley regime and doing a full blown rebuild. I have no problems with doing a rebuild, but the way they are doing it makes absolutely no sense. Moving up and wasting draft picks on two players in the first round this past year was not a smart move. If the Bills are going to be at the top of the draft in 2019, then they could have drafted their QB of the future then instead of what they gave up for Allen. It's too early to tell if Allen and Edmunds will pan out. Both guys have the physical size and traits to be very successful. I am glad that McBeane is trying to address the QB position, because it's been neglected for way too long. Maybe McBeane liked the QB's in this draft class better than the 2019 draft class...who knows. I just think it's not a smart move to use up all these picks when there are so many holes to fill on the team. O-linemen take time to develop, so I think it would have been good for the Bills to use some of this draft capital and address the O-line early. I think building up the lines on both side of the ball first should be a teams priority.

It seems McBeane's FA pick ups/trades have been more misses than hits. Now, if these players McBeane are signing are just "stop-gap" players, then that's one thing, but if they're being counted on to be impact players, then McBeane has really screwed up. Vontae Davis, Star Lotulelei, Trent Murphy, Kelvin Benjamin, Corey Coleman, Jordan Matthews...not an impressive list of players. Seems McBeane was hoping somebody on the D-line would be free to get to the QB with Lotulelei clogging up the middle, but so far this preseason and in Week 1, it hasn't come to fruition. If Lotulelei doesn't pan out, that could be more dead cap money if he gets cut or traded. 
  • Like (+1) 3

Getting a QB high was an absolute necessity. Far from making no sense, it was the only move that did make any sense, except maybe bringing in Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins.

Calling it a waste is missing the point. There are very very few ways to bring in a guy with a legitimate shot at being a franchise guy. When you have one of those chances you have to go for it even if it's expensive. They had to get a guy who might grow to become the franchise QB we've needed for so long. Unless they wanted our run of prolonged mediocrity/badness to continue.

And yeah, OLs take time to develop. So do QBs. But it's a hell of a lot easier to draft a good OL even if you're winning than it is to draft a good
QB.

And yes, moving up delayed filling the holes on the roster.

It's worth it. Same as in house construction, building a good strong, stable foundation delays the building of the walls and the installation of the plumbing and everything else, really. But it's necessary to build that strong foundation regardless of the delay. Same thing here. It's necessary to bring in a legitimate potential QB because it's almost impossible to get one when you have a good enough roster elsewhere to consistently win eight or nine games. You never get the chance to draft a potential franchise guy. This is the only way to get it done, and also the smart way.

If we're rebuilding as you say (I'm not sure I agree, but put that aside), then you have to keep understanding what a rebuild is. It's not something you do if you want to have a great chance to win the year you trade up and draft your QB. You are sacrificing the short term for the long term. Which is a great idea if the long term is very successful, and true rebuilds increase the chances of extreme success.

What was your prediction for the year? Did you think we'd win eight or nine or ten games? People who predicted a lot of wins this year weren't quite understanding how long it takes to build consistent success when you're switching schemes and the regime before you put you in awful salary cap shape.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Got their QB hopefully on both sides of the ball and they're clearing a ton of cap space.  It will be on them now to draft well and do a good job with their cap dollars in free agency.

4 minutes ago, COTC said:

Insecurity....he is not a good gm. That much is apparent. 

Enough.  How many times you going to post the same thing?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Value of that 1st pick is way more than the 7th.  We can get way more for the 1st overall than we gave up for the 7th.  We can probably get a haul if there's a decent QB prospect, which we'll need with all the holes we have.

That’s true. If the Bills are going to be a bad team this year, I’d rather they finish last in the league and get the best draft pick. It’s going to take some time to do a rebuild, so they might as well do it the right way.

Every one is so up in arms because of the loss this past week i just wonder what would be being said if the O line would have only had 1 change like last yr ? 

The loss of 2 interior starters was the biggest loss you said that it takes the longest to get a O linemen use to his position well they thought they would still have Wood & Incog but things went south real quick so you can't blame them for having their board set plus i've heard Chris Brown say this year the draft stunk for O line personal ...

I would dare say too that Bean using 2 first round picks to get 2 first round players is a ton better than spending 2 first round picks to move up & get one first round player that didn't pan out !! Just saying Beans track record to this point looks a lot better give it some time before you start dissecting things before we even know what might it's only one game !!

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, COTC said:

Insecurity....he is not a good gm. That much is apparent. 

What's apparent is that anyone who thinks he can judge a GM this early in his tenure isn't correctly grasping how the system works.

His grade is an INC. And will be so for three or even four years.

The guy has been here for a year and a half and run one draft. Not a single player he drafted here has played more than one NFL game. It's not just early, it's far far too early.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

What's apparent is that anyone who thinks he can judge a GM this early in his tenure isn't correctly grasping how the system works.

His grade is an INC. And will be so for three or even four years.

It is def not too early to judge. 

Ignorance isnt an excuse. 

• Like (+1) 3

It made sense if the free agents panned out but so far not good. They need to do a better job of pro player evaluations.

The QBs in this draft aren't as good as this last draft so it made sense to get Allen . However not surrounding him with talent was a big mistake. 

We should have traded Tyrod last year and gone with Peterman so we could have had the second overall pick and keep 6 premium picks.

I believe in McBeane and next year is going to be the year we improve with all those picks and free agents but it would have been better to tank last year and not this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Where was V. Davis Sunday? Why was Gaines starting? He was a major liability. 

Is this another beane mistake?

and how about that punter with no game experience, didn’t he flub a snap and fumble, typical of someone with no field experience. Another bean head scratcher. 

Edited by COTC

This isn't a remodel where they are just replacing the drywall. They are completely leveling the house and repouring the foundation. That foundation consists of players like Josh Allen and Tremaine Edwards, and right now there just isn't much built on top of them (yet).

He's building this house the exact way it should be built (whether fans understand this or not) -- through the draft. Unfortunately, it's going to take time. It's a waste of energy getting upset over 1-yr contract stop-gaps like Vonte Davis.

So while the knee-jerk crowd is out there having a conniption after each loss this year, know this -- if Beane is right about Allen, he's already the best GM we've had in the last 20 years.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

That’s true. If the Bills are going to be a bad team this year, I’d rather they finish last in the league and get the best draft pick. It’s going to take some time to do a rebuild, so they might as well do it the right way.

Good post, what most of these NFL experts fail to realize is this organization was run into the ground since 2000 and these are the same that would be calling for heads throughout the sixteen years of utter failure. I want a solid rebuilding job and willing to take the lumps this year. What you have is millennial's driving up to a fast food restaurant called "The Bills" and demanding a quick burger and a shake then throwing a temper fit that they did not get it quickly!

• Thank you (+1) 1