Cover 1: Erik Turner Asks "Is Josh Allen Ready to Handle Trials and Tribulations?" - Apparently Yes

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just think that Peterman needs more time. He’s a young guy; remember that atom Brady was a 6th round pick!! Peterman is a young Drew Brees. He just needs a chance to show it.

I agree with so much you say Kirby usually but Peterson sucks and folds like a napkin. He couldn't hold Brees jock strap. Let the kid get his baptism by fire. Sink or swim he'll have to learn or he just won't it's that simple. I'm ok with it.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just think that Peterman needs more time. He’s a young guy; remember that Tom Brady was a 6th round pick!! Peterman is a young Drew Brees. He just needs a chance to show it.

I mean he has such a short bar to clear. All he has to do is get less than 5 picks against the Chargers next week and he's improved since last year.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen, the rookie, sat all week in meetings as the backup but had to prepare as if he was a starter. He then gets thrown into the game versus a top ten defense. Yes, the score is 40 to 0 at this point, but the Ravens starters are in and they are attempting to maintain the shutout. The play is 2nd and 5 inside the ‘green zone’, on his second drive of the game. The Bills align in a 3×1 set and run a high/low of linebacker Clint Mosley. As Allen drops, edge defender Zadarius Smith and defensive tackle Michael Pierce use power moves to create pressure. But Allen does a good job of keeping his eyes downfield, slightly climbing in the pocket, keeping his feet alive by lightly bouncing on the balls of his feet, ultimately standing tall in the pocket in order to deliver the pass to WR Benjamin near the back of the end zone. Benjamin drops it and the Bills have to eventually settle for a field goal. This is a tough situation where Allen showed off tremendous poise under pressure and maintained strong mechanics to execute.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Can't be scared of giving him actual game experience.  Game plan for what he does well and give him easy and well defined reads.  No more Nathan Peterman as it's just a waste of time.

It’s one thing for Daboll to give him easy and well defined reads, quite another for opposing DCs, which is what it comes down to play after play. I’ve never been a fan of “simplifying” the offense. If your QB is smart and has an aptitude for the game, (and I believe Allen does), then go ahead and game plan for your opponent with the full playbook at your disposal to do so. It would be a shame if Daboll sees matchups he’d like to try to exploit and has certain schemes in his book to employ to do that only to have him eliminate those possibilities in order to dumb it down because he thinks his QB can’t handle it. 

That said, I agree that he should tailor the plan to what Allen does well. That doesn’t mean dumbing it down, though. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s one thing for Daboll to give him easy and well defined reads, quite another for opposing DCs, which is what it comes down to play after play. I’ve never been a fan of “simplifying” the offense. If your QB is smart and has an aptitude for the game, (and I believe Allen does), then go ahead and game plan for your opponent with the full playbook at your disposal to do so. It would be a shame if Daboll sees matchups he’d like to try to exploit and has certain schemes in his book to employ to do that only to have him eliminate those possibilities in order to dumb it down because he thinks his QB can’t handle it. 

That said, I agree that he should tailor the plan to what Allen does well. That doesn’t mean dumbing it down, though. 

One question I would have is who do we have on the offense that presents a matchup that the Bills can exploit?

55 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

It's obvious he's ready, rawness and all. What's not clear is if the rest of that pathetic offense can do anything to help/protect him. 

Weirdly enough, I'm not worried about his o-line protecting him.  I mean, he's gonna get the crap knocked out of him, but he seems to be a tough kid.  I'm legit worried other teams are going to continue taking cheap shots at him.  The Ravens weren't even trying to hide it.  

Edited by stony
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

It's obvious he's ready, rawness and all. What's not clear is if the rest of that pathetic offense can do anything to help/protect him. 

McD better tell his wr's to get separation or I'll run your ass into the ground every week in practice.  Tell this sorry OL to protect JA or you'll be running right alongside KB & Co. I didn't want his on the job training to begin this soon but McB did an awful job choosing PeterPan & McCarron instead of a veteran qb.

27 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

There is no alternative.

Allen shouldn't have been put in this spot by Beane and McDermott. 

You're right, it's too soon and now we risk him getting injured. God help us.

53 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The funny thing is that this coaching staff told you, very clearly, that he is not ready in their opinion.

That's why he didn't start in Baltimore.

Now they are probably going to start him anyway, if not this week, then soon.

Makes the coaches look bad IMO.

It makes the organization look bad as a whole. 

Without knowing what McDermott and Daboll (etc) said/did behind the scenes, it’s hard to know how much blame they deserve. 

Maybe they wanted to keep AJ. Or maybe they wanted to go after a more veteran QB in the offseason. 

I keep thinking of Beane comments about how he told his staff “don’t let me get into chasing and overpaying for one of these vet QBs...”. 

But yeah, If both McDermott and Daboll were indeed ok going into the season with Nate and Josh, then it makes them look bad. 

If they truly thought Allen needed time to sit and learn, they did a terrible job insulating him from being forced into game action. 

And if Allen shows he’s not ready to start, I don’t even know what you do... they’ve really backed themselves into a corner here.