Don't Rush Allen

OldTimer1960

After one half, it is clear that Peterman is not an answer at QB,, yet I really hope that the Bills have the discipline to not force Josh Allen Into the lineup.  The combination of problems on the OL and at WR would make it difficult for a seasoned vet to even look decent.  Allen is a raw prospect who played at a low level of competition. If he is thrust into the lineup with expectations that he can somehow turn this moribund offense around, the Bills will be looking for a new QB in the draft next year because fans and media will run Allen out of town.

Allen is nowhere near ready and his supporting cast is awful.  Compare what we've seen of Allen vs Sam Darnold with the Jets.  Darnold is much more ready to play now.  He processes what he sees faster and he does not have mechanical issues to fix as Allen does.

Play Allen with this group at your peril and expect to hear people compare him to EJ Manuel by season's end.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

After one half, it is clear that Peterman is not an answer at QB,, yet I really hope that the Bills have the discipline to not force Josh Allen INT the lineup.  The combination of problems on the OL and at WR would make it difficult for a seasoned vet to even look decent.  Allen is a raw prospect who played at a low level of competition. If he is thrust into the lineup with expectations that he can somehow turn this moribund offense around, the Bills will be looking for a new QB in the draft next year because fans and media will run Allen out of town.

Allen is nowhere near ready and his supporting cast is awful.  Compare what we've seen of Allen vs Sam Darnold with the Jets.  Darnold is much more ready to play now.  He processes what he sees faster and he does not have mechanical issues to fix as Allen does.

Play Allen with this group at your peril and expect to hear people compare him to EJ Manuel by season's end.

BS.  Play the kid.  He can throw the football, so defenses won’t be able to stack the box like they did to Peterman.  He’ll be fine.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

After one half, it is clear that Peterman is not an answer at QB,, yet I really hope that the Bills have the discipline to not force Josh Allen INT the lineup.  The combination of problems on the OL and at WR would make it difficult for a seasoned vet to even look decent.  Allen is a raw prospect who played at a low level of competition. If he is thrust into the lineup with expectations that he can somehow turn this moribund offense around, the Bills will be looking for a new QB in the draft next year because fans and media will run Allen out of town.

OK so don't start Allen.  What's the solution?  Starting Peterman who has looked like he's not an NFL QB?  Sign a veteran QB off the street and start him on a few days practice?  I get what you are saying about Allen, but even with him limitations he still might give the Bills the best chance of winning on Sunday

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

BS.  Play the kid.  He can throw the football, so defenses won’t be able to stack the box like they did to Peterman.  He’ll be fine.  

I don't think they have a better job.  You just can't roll with Peterman

i can't speak for everyone, but i am up to watch some on the job training. i wouldn't expect allen to take this team to the playoffs, but i would expect to see some flashes of what made mcbeane choose this guy over any of the other qb options over the past couple years. also, it would give him a chance to take his lumps, get some of the growing pains out of the way, and possibly earn the trust, respect, and admiration of his teammates, coaches, and fans. 

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

After one half, it is clear that Peterman is not an answer at QB,, yet I really hope that the Bills have the discipline to not force Josh Allen Into the lineup.  The combination of problems on the OL and at WR would make it difficult for a seasoned vet to even look decent.  Allen is a raw prospect who played at a low level of competition. If he is thrust into the lineup with expectations that he can somehow turn this moribund offense around, the Bills will be looking for a new QB in the draft next year because fans and media will run Allen out of town.

Low level of competition? Even with that his o-line was awful against it at Wyoming and the recievers there didn't get separation. Instead of shell shocked Allen just might think he never left Wyoming.

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Allen's ready and I bet he starts turning around your opinion of the supporting cast pretty quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He can throw the football, to ME in the opposite end zone. I’ll be open, nobody on the field is. But he’d better throw it quickly, because he only get’s one Mississi.............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Come on this kid finally made it on to a FBS school after being rejected by everyone gets his first shot and has his collar bone is broken in multiple places and is done for the season. Comes back the next one and lights it up so well that NFL draft commentators noticed him in Wyoming. This isn't a kid that's going to shatter like glass.

Edited by Warcodered

I was a strong supporter of Peterman starting and not rushing Allen. After the Ravens game I just can't support Peterman as starting QB anymore.

It has to be Josh Allen now by default. This is entertainment so give the people what they want. I have to agree with people now in seeing what we have now and not have any doubts when the team has capital. 

My mind was changed by the Ravens game. Now I just want to see the world burn. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm so sick of people parroting this nonsense about "Allen is not ready", I'm guessing the OP has never followed a team that has a "ready" rookie QB, cause, with the exception of Ben Rothlesberger Allen looks like every single other rookie QB that has ever played, people need to relax and just let Allen develop the only way possible (playing the games).

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree with the myth that says a QB can be "ruined".

Allen will rise or fall to the level of his own ability, eventually.

Having said that, the organization basically made it clear that Allen was not ready.  That's why he didn't start Week 1.

So to start him now makes them look very bad.

To continue playing Peterman also makes them look bad.  Peterman would not be given a shot by any other team in the NFL but our coaching staff just can't let him go.

Lastly, we should have kept AJ as the go-between who plays until Allen is ready, but we shipped him out of town, also making the organization look bad.

Whole lotta bad looking stuff going on around here.

• Like (+1) 1