Waited all year for this.....brutality

I was driving to the Bills Backer's place in St. Louis, telling myself this would be a good game.  Our team was improved over last year.  Nate looked great in preseason.  He's gonna have a solid day.  Our defense was improved.  Star would be a stud.  We'll play a good game.  

It only took one play to know that I was delusional, and that all these months of tracking the team, getting on this page to keep up with the news, watching youtube videos of our new guys, reading all the propaganda....drinking the koolaid, as they say.  

This was the worst game I've ever seen.  And I've been watching this team since the mid-60's.  To come into a season with expectations of at least a good, competitive team and...well, you saw it.  This team is a mess.  

I was just listening to St. Louis sports radio, and the guy was ready to discuss Mizzou's win over Wyoming.....and he got sidetracked.  He was talking about Josh Allen..."what was he the 6th, 7th pick?  Why isn't he playing.....why is this McDermott guy obsessed with Nate Peterman?  Trade Tyrod Taylor!  Get AJ McCarron.....trade him too.....get Josh Allen....put him on the bench!  What has Peterman ever done?  This guy is a lousy coach.....sorry I lost focus there."  Even the St. Louis guys, who don't have a team and don't care about the Bills, know that Peterman should never trot on the field again.

It's hard being a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The assumption has always been that the best college team would still get beat by the worst NFL team.  I have to tell you, i'm not 100% sure I believe that right now.  If Saban had a week to prepare, i have a feeling it would be at worst a really close game.  the bills are an undisciplined, undertalented mess.  The penalties bother me as much as the rest of it, because they are completely unforced

1 minute ago, aceman_16 said:

Yep...  this sure needed another thread to be started.

Why not?  I don't have a problem with the OP sharing his coherent thoughts.  Plus it's interesting to get a view of part of our situation from sources like St. Louis media which doesn't care about the Bills one way or another. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

The assumption has always been that the best college team would still get beat by the worst NFL team.  I have to tell you, i'm not 100% sure I believe that right now.  If Saban had a week to prepare, i have a feeling it would be at worst a really close game.  the bills are an undisciplined, undertalented mess.  The penalties bother me as much as the rest of it, because they are completely unforced

Bills lost to a CFL team....

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/23/nfl-cfl-teams-used-to-meet-in-the-preseason/

In the one and only AFL-CFL game, the Tiger-Cats took apart the Buffalo Bills in Hamilton, 38-21.

In the past 51 years, no NFL team (or AFL, during the league’s remaining years of existence) has ever again played a CFL team, in Canada or elsewhere.  It’s unlikely that it will ever happen again.  Still, every time you hear the name “Tiger-Cats” remember that they own the bragging rights over the Bills and, in turn, the league that absorbed the Buffalo franchise in 1970.

8 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

I was driving to the Bills Backer's place in St. Louis, telling myself this would be a good game.  Our team was improved over last year.  Nate looked great in preseason.  He's gonna have a solid day.  Our defense was improved.  Star would be a stud.  We'll play a good game.  

It only took one play to know that I was delusional, and that all these months of tracking the team, getting on this page to keep up with the news, watching youtube videos of our new guys, reading all the propaganda....drinking the koolaid, as they say.  

This was the worst game I've ever seen.  And I've been watching this team since the mid-60's.  To come into a season with expectations of at least a good, competitive team and...well, you saw it.  This team is a mess.  

I was just listening to St. Louis sports radio, and the guy was ready to discuss Mizzou's win over Wyoming.....and he got sidetracked.  He was talking about Josh Allen..."what was he the 6th, 7th pick?  Why isn't he playing.....why is this McDermott guy obsessed with Nate Peterman?  Trade Tyrod Taylor!  Get AJ McCarron.....trade him too.....get Josh Allen....put him on the bench!  What has Peterman ever done?  This guy is a lousy coach.....sorry I lost focus there."  Even the St. Louis guys, who don't have a team and don't care about the Bills, know that Peterman should never trot on the field again.

Damn.  Well its nice to know people in St Louis are equally befuddled by McD's love affair w Peterman too. 

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m right there with you., but 1968 was pretty much the same. Dan Darraugh was quarterback and OJ hadn’t arrived yet. That was a BAD football team...just like this one.

Right!  And then they got OJ and turned him into a decoy till Saban came around.  Brutal.  There have been some awful years, but this one is particularly disappointing coming off the Playoff team of last year....although we totally lucked into that and only racked up a field goal in that playoff game.  

25 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Vegas tried telling you we were going to suck.

24 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Why not?  I don't have a problem with the OP sharing his coherent thoughts.  Plus it's interesting to get a view of part of our situation from sources like St. Louis media which doesn't care about the Bills one way or another. 

And why not toss his thoughts into another one of the dozen threads started.  Some people like to start threads vs contribute to others due to the LAMP theory.

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/23/nfl-cfl-teams-used-to-meet-in-the-preseason/

In the one and only AFL-CFL game, the Tiger-Cats took apart the Buffalo Bills in Hamilton, 38-21.

In the past 51 years, no NFL team (or AFL, during the league’s remaining years of existence) has ever again played a CFL team, in Canada or elsewhere.  It’s unlikely that it will ever happen again.  Still, every time you hear the name “Tiger-Cats” remember that they own the bragging rights over the Bills and, in turn, the league that absorbed the Buffalo franchise in 1970.

Please stop.    The  players that came into the AFL in the early 60's were NFL cuts or old men, undrafted college players, and CFL players looking for another shot.  The majority of the CFL's best players were American players that could not make the NFL, many of them played in the early AFL.   Cookie Gilchrest, one of the best Bills players in the 60's played in the CFL. 

It was 1961.  The Bills were one year old and they sent their scrubby team to play a preseason under Canadian league rules .. big field, 3 downs, etc.   Never mind the Canadians league starts games months earlier than the AFL and NFL did.   The Bills were not prepared and they were not very good that day.  They were two years away from a Power House team. 

This has nothing to do with what we saw in Baltimore yesterday.

The Bills are not jinxed.  McDermott is not horrible.  He was totally outcoached and unprepared for the season opener, no doubt about that.  McDermnott and Beane are learning as they go. It sucks but it is true. 

He and Beane started the season with a mess at QB, OL and WR.  They need to own that.   They both lack experience at their jobs and we are seeing it right now.  To think that McCarron, Peterman and Allen was a good group to go to camp with was a crazy notion all along.  There were lots of veteran QB in the free agent mix and this is what we got to start training camp. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

Please stop.    The  players that came into the AFL in the early 60's were NFL cuts or old men, undrafted college players, and CFL players looking for another shot.  The majority of the CFL's best players were American players that could not make the NFL, many of them played in the early AFL.   Cookie Gilchrest, one of the best Bills players in the 60's played in the CFL. 

It was 1961.  The Bills were one year old and they sent their scrubby team to play a preseason under Canadian league rules .. big field, 3 downs, etc.   Never mind the Canadians league starts games months earlier than the AFL and NFL did.   The Bills were not prepared and they were not very good that day.  They were two years away from a Power House team. 

The Bills are not jinxed.  McDermott is not horrible.  He was totally outcoached and unprepared for the season opener, no doubt about that.  McDermnott and Beane are learning as they go. It sucks but it is true. 

He and Beane started the season with a mess at QB, OL and WR.  They need to own that.   They both lack experience at their jobs and we are seeing it right now.  To think that McCarron, Peterman and Allen was a good group to go to camp with was a crazy notion all along.  There were lots of veteran QB in the free agent mix and this is what we got to start training camp. 

I know that......

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated”

Was Thomas Paine a BILLS fan?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

If Peterman is still on the roster on Sunday, we’ll know they haven’t learned their lesson.  There is no way he is qualified to step on an NFL field, even as a backup.

Just now, nucci said:

Yeah!  Right. ..as if the current misery we are in needed to go way back to another miserable period for this battered team. ...?

• Haha (+1) 1

I know man.  I actually like McDermott alot but after yesterday idk what to think.  Losing is one thing the NFL is a tough league but when you lose like we did its embarrassing.  When is this team ever going to build on success.  We seem like we are always behind the 8 ball.  We went to the playoffs last year with TT.  We trade him and our QB situation has become a joke.  The oline is a disaster.  I just dont know what to think anymore.  The whole we will get a high pick and next year will be the year is getting old.  

I'm usually one of the most optimistic fans around. But I don't know how anyone thought this season would be good. It was obvious going in we'd have a top 5 pick and now it's looking like #1 or #2 overall. There were plenty of clues along the way. We waited until the end of free agency to sign the last remaining QB. We have $50 million in dead cap. We drafted a raw QB and raw MLB with our top 2 picks. We lost our two best O-linemen to retirement. Now yesterday was worse than I expected but that's fine. I'd rather have #1 overall than #5 overall. This is the tank season.