Season Expectations: What Am I Missing?

Flip Johnson

I'm still trying to understand the negativity around this team.

The 2017 Bills went to the playoffs and lost a close game on the road to a team that came a quarter away from the Super Bowl.

In the offseason they lost two aging starters on the offensive line and the QB of the 31st ranked passing offense. Because of those personnel losses, "the schedule," and because the O-Line looked bad in a preseason game, they will now be one of the worst teams in football. Come on.

The 2018 Bills are stronger at WR, RB, TE, DL, and LB than they were one year ago. The strongest unit on the team - the secondary - is stable. QB is a question mark, but it isn't a high bar to meet. They are in year two of a highly competent coaching regime. There is good reason to believe they have upgraded the offensive coordinator. The special teams will continue to be solid, and I believe they will figure the O-line out. This team isn't going 5-11 or 4-12. Just because they will be better in 2019 doesn't mean they are "rebuilding." This is a repeat playoff team.

Edited by Flip Johnson
Vague Title
  • Like (+1) 5

You cannot downplay the significance of the offensive offensive line. We were able to hide crappy guard play last year, but the interior of our line might be the worst in the league without cog and wood. This will drag down qb play and the run game. On defense, we have a huge question mark with Davis opposite Tre and Edmunds is as green as it gets. Not to mention our pass rush, with Murphy constantly on the shelf, is a huge question mark. I don’t think we’ll be 2-14, but there’s a step back and lumps that will be taken. 6-10 for me 

Edited by Jamie Nails
  • Like (+1) 6

For me... barely made the playoffs last year, and it just doesn't seem like there were enough upgrades to push them further.  I like the new offense, and the rookie QB is exciting, but the D looked bad in the preseason, and the OL looked horrendous.  The WR core looks like one #2 and the rest 3rd stringers.

• Like (+1) 1

Although we made the playoffs, we didn’t control our own destiny.  I don’t believe it is all doom and gloom at One Bills Drive.  However, I can’t say we are a team that is playoff bound either.

If this team plays with a lot of heart, I see us still being in the wildcard demographic late into the year.  

Edited by BillsM@fia

I'd be more confident if we were 9-7 last year with like a top 20 offense and top 15 defense. The offensive line retirements don't help. And while Tyrod surely had his flaws, if either of Peterman or Allen can match his level of play we should consider it a success for their first year starting.

14 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I completely agree. Tyrod Taylor was the only thing keeping this team from going 12-4; 13-3. Now that he’s gone its a no-brainer that we’re going to dominate. 

Sensing sarcasm here I think? 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the fact that our dead cap money spent this year is $50 Million, leading the league in that stat, while the team with the next most is $25 million less than that, goes to show the state of our team when Beane & Co took over.

We as fans tend to over estimate the strength of our team. I can remember all too many times in the midst of our 17 year drought where we all hoped we were a few pieces away from contending. Arguably some times maybe we were, but more often than not we have fielded a roster lacking quality talent.

This year you could say that as well. Us fans try to gloss over the weaknesses, QB, OL, WR, LB's Pass rush, but these are real weaknesses. All teams have them but we've drafted for one scheme, only to jettison those players in favor of another, all to do it all over again.

Point is that this staff inherited a mess & its gonna take time to turn it around. However i think most here are okay with that.

I'm not all doom & gloom & i dont think the majority think we're in a terrible position. Perhaps we're just wiser now, being realistic with our expectations, having gone thru this all before.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Excuse me!

My avatar is the family dog.

Yours is the thing from hell in a Bills cap. You relax!

Nobody circles the wagons like Dog Marrone!

Waggins, dogged ma'bone... I'm sure theres a joke to be made somewhere in there but i'm too exhausted from debating about punters the past few hours lol

Last year's record was inflated due to Bills weak schedule and unsustainable positive turnover margin. They were closer to a 7-9 team than a 9-7 team. The losses of RI and EW can't be overstated, especially when you consider their replacements. And as much as Bills fans like to hate on TT he was competent, and a solid compliment to McCoy and the run game. He didn't always make plays but he rarely made mistakes. That likely won't be case with either Peterman or Allen. 

Hopefully the defense is good again. Bills had incredible injury luck last year on that side of the ball.  

Edited by VW82

We haven't seen anything yet.  No Shady.  No game planning.  The OL was horrible against Cinci but didn't have Dawkins, and they were rotating in and out.  Our defense hasn't really done anything except vanilla no-scheme let's not get hurt football.  

I'll wait till after the first game to get a grip on where this thing is headed.  The media has treated us as irrelevant distractions for so long, I don't think they know what the hell they are talking about.  This isn't a 2-14, no talent group.  This is a group with heart and great leadership.  Let's go.

• Like (+1) 2