Season Expectations: What Am I Missing?

Flip Johnson

I've said this before and will say it again: the difference between 10-6 and 6-10 is just a few plays, ref calls, coaches clutch play selection, and, a big one, injuries.

Bills were unlucky to never go in the playoffs in that 17 drought, and seemed quite lucky last year to end it.

So 5-11, 9-7... all probable. Keep up some FIGHTING SPIRIT and let them play dammit LOL 

As all the players and certainly the Bills brass, we fans want the team to win NOW. Yet with Allen, less dead cap money + lots of picks + cap space in the coming years, things are looking bright... especially if Josh becomes that elite QB all teams need.

I’m with you OP. I keep hearing all these arguments about why we’re going to be terrible yet none of them add up. They could I guess, but it won’t be that dramatic. I’ve heard people calling for a 2-4 win season. These people are just on crack. Let’s go through all the big arguments. 

-the schedule is incredibly difficult. 

Answer- we said the same thing last year and how did that turn out? Guys get hurt everywhere. Our schedule could look really hard now, but what if we play multiple teams without their starting QBs, RBs, WRs, etc. 

-our Oline is terrible and we lost Glenn, Wood, Incognito.

Answer- it was terrible last year and we did ok. Glenn didn’t play half the year and Dawkins is a beast. Wood really wasn’t that good and the drop off to Groy isn’t that far. As we’ve seen in previous years. Incognito is a loss for sure. Ducasse is a turnstile, but he is a vet and not clueless. But I’d expect Teller to be starting by mid season. 

-The loss of Tyrod hurts because he was good with his legs and hid a weak offensive line. 

Answer- if Tyrod was an actual good QB he wouldn’t have had to make so many plays with his feet. He was gun shy at the very least. He created plays with his feet but at the same time he was bad for the Oline in that regard. He puked never step up in the pocket, always turning his back to the line and running around all over. I bet if you asked the players on the line they were frustrated when they were responsible for a sack against them because the QB never did what he was supposed to do. 

-The LBs got worse 

Answer- I’ll agree for the most part. They at least didn’t get better. Not unless Edmonds is a ROY candidate on defense. Brown was a huge loss imo. Too many people I’ve heard over the years would complain about him and say he was nothing special. Those are the very same people saying our LBs are worse now and we have holes. Ironic. 

Alexander is a year older and slower. All we can hope for is that Edmonds has a really good year and Milano takes another step. We’re worse, but who knows how much. It depends on edmonds really. 

-our WRs are worse than last year. 

Answer- actually they are better. Benjamin to start the season which we only had for a few games last year. Another year in the system as wel and more repor with Peterman (they looked incredible in the 2nd pre season game together). Kerley is better than any other WR we had on the roster last year with the exception of Mathews who didn’t really play. Jones is back and as he wasn’t great last year, he’s in his sophomore year and SHOULD improve. At the very least, he most likely won’t be worse than last year. 

-Shady is older now

Answer- and we don’t have that idiot Toldozer backing him up. We have Ivory who is a legit RB in this league. And imo, Murphy will actually be the backup to Shadybif he goes down. Ivory will stay the course and fill in when we need to pound the ball and chew up clock. 

With all all these things said, we could be worse. Sure. We could be a 7 win team or something like that. But 2-4 wins? Your fooling yourself. We will be a 7-9 win team at the least. If something goes incredibly wrong and we suffer a ton of injuries we could knock down to 5 wins. However if things go right and one of these QBs looks like the QB of the future, we could end up with 10 wins and ease into the playoffs again. 

This is a year we will take a step back and thats ok. The QB position is a giant ? behind what appears right now an atrocious offensive line. With cap relief coming next season along with 10 draft picks things will be trending in the right direction. Sit back, enjoy the season, be pleasantly surprised when we win and dont stress if we lose.