Will the Bills grab a PS Quarterback?

Punt75

I would sign Davis Webb to the 53 man roster right now if I were Beane. At the very least to the practice squad if he agrees to that. He might think it's his best opportunity.

Here is the list of free agent quarterbacks recently released. Most have Practice Squad eligibility...

• Nic Shimonek (Rookie UDFA Chargers, Texas Tech) - #388 draft prospect
  • Logan Woodside (Rookie 7th Round pick Bengals, Toledo) - #423 draft prospect
  • Connor Jessop (Rookie UDFA Redskins, Shepherd University) - N/A
  • Paxton Lynch (2)
  • Connor Cook (2)
  • Joe Callahan (2)
  • Tom Savage (4/-)
  • Landry Jones (5/-)
  • Cardale Jones (2/1)
  • Josh Woodrum (2/-)
  • EJ Manuel (5/4)
  • Joe Webb (8/1)

Here is the list of quarterbacks recently signed to practice squads (Bills would need to add them to their 53 man roster)...

• Chase Litton (Rookie UDFA Chiefs, Marshall) - #379 draft prospect - Chiefs Practice Squad
  • Luis Perez (Rookie UDFA Rams, TAM Commerce) - #413 - Rams Practice Squad
  • Tanner Lee (Rookie 7th Round Jaguars, Nebraska) - #432 - Jaguars Practice Squad
  • JT Barrett (Rookie UDFA Saints, Ohio State) - #466 - Saints Practice Squad
  • Danny Etling (Rookie 7th Round Patriots, LSU) - #491 - Patriots Practice Squad
  • Charles Kanoff (Rookie UDFA Cardinals, Princeton) - N/A - Cardinals Practice Squad
  • Nick Muellens (1) - 49ers Practice Squad
  • Phillip Walker (1) - Colts Practice Squad
  • Jake Rudock (2) - Lions Practice Squad
  • Christian Hackenberg (2/-) - Bengals Practice Squad
  • Tyler Bray (5/-) - Bears Practice Squad

46 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I would sign Davis Webb to the 53 man roster right now if I were Beane. At the very least to the practice squad if he agrees to that. He might think it's his best opportunity.

Here is the list of free agent quarterbacks recently released. Most have Practice Squad eligibility...

• Nic Shimonek (Rookie UDFA Chargers, Texas Tech) - #388 draft prospect
  • Logan Woodside (Rookie 7th Round pick Bengals, Toledo) - #423 draft prospect
  • Connor Jessop (Rookie UDFA Redskins, Shepherd University) - N/A
  • Paxton Lynch (2)
  • Connor Cook (2)
  • Joe Callahan (2)
  • Tom Savage (4/-)
  • Landry Jones (5/-)
  • Cardale Jones (2/1)
  • Josh Woodrum (2/-)
  • EJ Manuel (5/4)
  • Joe Webb (8/1)

Here is the list of quarterbacks recently signed to practice squads (Bills would need to add them to their 53 man roster)...

• Chase Litton (Rookie UDFA Chiefs, Marshall) - #379 draft prospect - Chiefs Practice Squad
  • Luis Perez (Rookie UDFA Rams, TAM Commerce) - #413 - Rams Practice Squad
  • Tanner Lee (Rookie 7th Round Jaguars, Nebraska) - #432 - Jaguars Practice Squad
  • JT Barrett (Rookie UDFA Saints, Ohio State) - #466 - Saints Practice Squad
  • Danny Etling (Rookie 7th Round Patriots, LSU) - #491 - Patriots Practice Squad
  • Charles Kanoff (Rookie UDFA Cardinals, Princeton) - N/A - Cardinals Practice Squad
  • Nick Muellens (1) - 49ers Practice Squad
  • Phillip Walker (1) - Colts Practice Squad
  • Jake Rudock (2) - Lions Practice Squad
  • Christian Hackenberg (2/-) - Bengals Practice Squad
  • Tyler Bray (5/-) - Bears Practice Squad

I was hoping the Bills could add Danny Etling to their PS, but the Patriots already did so.  He would not be worth adding to the 53 man roster.  Nik Shimonek did some good things in college and made some noise in the pre draft process.  I might think about signing him to the PS.  Connor Cook is another one I would consider if I were Brandon Beane.

1 hour ago, B Fan in LA said:

First choice = Frank Reich

Second choice = Alex Van Pelt

Somebody please call them and see if there is any interest.................

Then somebody wake up Ralph Wilson and tell him to get out the checkbook.

I understand his last check went to the undertaker, and it bounced.

What's the point of having one of the PS? They almost never make NFL rosters. The only time it makes sense is when you have an entrenched starter and backup, so the kid can run the scout team without worry of being hurt. I can't recall a single QB in my life that was developed on a practice squad. Can anyone?

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

What's the point of having one of the PS? They almost never make NFL rosters. The only time it makes sense is when you have an entrenched starter and backup, so the kid can run the scout team without worry of being hurt. I can't recall a single QB in my life that was developed on a practice squad. Can anyone?

Jake Delhomme

Marc Bulger 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'd surprised if they don't bring in a young QB on the practice squad to develop through the season. I think that's what the delay is in filling out the rest of the squad.

Their 2 top guys haven't even had a chance to develop/be developed, why would they bring in another. They need a veteran QB backup in case things go wrong. Not another young inexperienced QB to try and "develop".

They should have been going after one of the more experienced QBs available this offseason to start until Allen could take over instead of McCaron.

Improve the quality of practices?  I'd think the PS QB would run the scout team.  It would be tough for QB #2 to focus on both his own plays in the gameplan for the next week and learn those of the next opponents'  offense well enough to do a great job with both when needed.

10 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Chad Kelly could be available 

I thought he and everyone in Broncoland were, as George T. would say, 'lovey dovey'.

6 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Improve the quality of practices?  I'd think the PS QB would run the scout team.  It would be tough for QB #2 to focus on both his own plays in the gameplan for the next week and learn those of the next opponents'  offense well enough to do a great job with both when needed.

Reading this board, I've come to the conclusion that Josh Allen is quite capable of that multi faceted role, but then again he's barely capable of wiping his nose.

14 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

First choice = Frank Reich

Second choice = Alex Van Pelt

Somebody please call them and see if there is any interest.................

Then somebody wake up Ralph Wilson and tell him to get out the checkbook.

I think Frank already has someplace to be on Sundays.

Jake Delhomme

Marc Bulger 

Wow, thanks. I didn't know that.

It's crazy they were both with the Saints. It's wild to think that although they missed guys right under their noses who would become very good NFL QBs, they never would have gotten Brees or won a  Super Bowl if they had stuck with them.

• Like (+1) 1