Week 1: Ravens Game Preparation - Nathan Peterman & Groy Starting

/dev/null

There's an urban sombrero joke in there somewhere.  ?

He earned the job and is not as concerned with the SD result from last year as some fans are.  He knows this is a new season and opportunity.  We'll know soon enough if he's up to the task.   

• Like (+1) 1

they would play the same style no matter which qb we put in there

I'm sorry but that's just not true. The throws Allen can make and the one's Peterman can make are completely different. And how they play as QB is very different. CBs can play more zone against Peterman because he seems to pre determine where he's going before the snap, locks in on a receiver. Zone allows the CB to watch the QB and break on the ball. Whereas with Allen the receivers might play more Man coverage and force Allen to hang in the pocket and hold onto the ball. Peterman also can't make long out throws, this will allow the Safetys to creep up and put more men in the box, disrupting the run and the middle of the field throws he likes.

• Like (+1) 1

Could happen within the first two games.  The ravens were #1 overall in INTs last season and the Chargers were tied for #6.

If you take out the 5 interceptions they got from Peterman the Chargers would only be tied for 15th last year.

That may be true but sometimes teams don’t repeat the same.  I’ll hope they dont

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Wasn’t Matt Cassel tech the starting qb for that first year Tyrod played? Came in for the first play of week 1, then Tyrod played the rest. I remember seeing that win against the colts somehow not credited to Tyrod. Not that it matters. Just a reminder of the circus that was Rex Ryan 

Technically correct, but for all intents and purposes Taylor was the starter. 

I figured Peterman was the starter the minute they traded AJ.

AJ and Nate are kind of redundant. Both are similar QBs. If Nate isn’t successful behind this o line, AJ wouldn’t be either. 

Plus, McDermott taking every chance possible to talk Nate up was another clue. As I said in another thread, it reminded me of Rex Ryan continually reminding everyone not to sleep on Tyrod Taylor back in 2015. 

I dont see how anyone can say that Nate didn’t earn it, though. He was our best QB all offseason. 

Congrats Nate! 

• Like (+1) 3

Exactly. No defense is going to start the year game planning for our QB no matter who it is. They're going to try and shut Shady down first and foremost. Until the starting QB proves he can take advantage of that we're going to see a ton of pressure. Right now I trust Peterman in that situation more than I trust Allen.

Um sure they are. There is film on Peterman. He has tendencies. As I've said previously, the defense may play more zone because they can watch him. He tends to lock on and go with his first read. This is what allowed the Ramsey interception in Jax and a couple of the ints in LA.

Um sure they are. There is film on Peterman. He has tendencies. As I've said previously, the defense may play more zone because they can watch him. He tends to lock on and go with his first read. This is what allowed the Ramsey interception in Jax and a couple of the ints in LA.

Allen was locking onto his first read against the Bengals too. All I'm saying is teams don't fear our passing game yet. Their game plans are going to focus on Shady. They will stack the box and sit on short routes regardless of who the QB is. Tyrod could throw the ball deep but teams still stacked the box. It has nothing to do with arm strength.

If you take out the 5 interceptions they got from Peterman the Chargers would only be tied for 15th last year.

You cant take them away though.  Any other team in there might have picked off the same QB 2 or 3 times in a few different games.  Its just the way things are.  Not too mention it will be Nate throwing at them again.  Our oline is even worse this year.