How did Foster make the team?

wppete

We signed Robert Foster, WR, Alabama as a UFA. Really exciting signing and potential weapon for Josh Allen. The speedster we were looking for. Brain Dabol was his OC in Alabama and knows this kid well, knows has to use him and I’m sure there is a plan. 

6’2, 196lbs

4.4 sec  - 40 yard

Amazing scouting McBean and Co. Underused in Alabama so not much production. lets discuss........

• Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, wppete said:

We signed Robert Foster, WR, Alabama as a UFA. Really exciting signing and potential weapon for Josh Allen. The speedster we were looking for. Brain Dabol was his OC in Alabama and knows this kid well, knows has to use him and I’m sure there is a plan. 

6’2, 196lbs

4.4 sec  - 40 yard

Amazing scouting McBean and Co. Underused in Alabama so not much production. lets discuss........

• Short strider with longer torso
  • Production over four seasons was abysmal
  • Never came close to reaching athletic potential and struggled to find meaningful snaps until senior season
  • Drifts towards coverage out of route stems
  • Football instincts are below average
  • Converts on a low percentage of opportunities relative to his position
  • Gives away pattern breaks down the field allowing for easier coverage
  • Falters in his stack and track on deep throws
  • Fumbled three times on 37 touches over last two seasons

Strengths
  • Premium athlete
  • Flashes explosive ability that made him a coveted, five-star recruit
  • Has twitched-up feet
  • Able to stutter and burst past press coverage
  • Accelerator allows for early climb and separation on go routes
  • Routes are unrefined, but talent is there to get much better
  • Has moldable traits for position coach to work with
  • Threatening in open field
  • Able to shake initial tackle attempts with subtle lower body shift and keep his run pace elevated

@tannins

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm pretty sure this won't be Dabol looking at him play and devaluing him based on what he did last year at Alabama. Pretty sure it'll be what happens this summer that matters.

My point was that you seemed to imply knowing dabolls offense a bit would help... but if he didn’t do well in it previously it might not be a good omen for this summer. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

The fact that he wasn’t particularly good in it may hurt him.

Did you watch the Crimson Tide much this season, or only the championship game?

Foster is a speedster who was playing for a quarterback (Hurts) who isn't the greatest passer. He was also surrounded by great receivers including Calvin Ridley, 3 freshman (1 you might remember), and others.  There are only so many chances.

Now, throw in the fact that although he does adapt and change with the times, Coach Saban, deep down, would rather unleash his running attack on opponents than pass.

I think that Foster will make the team. If nothing else, the kid will provide a deep threat.

Imo, this signing is something to be happy about.

32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Huge long shot, but a shot 

Why such a huge longshot? Are the Bills simply stacked at wideout?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Did you watch the Crimson Tide much this season, or only the championship game?

Foster is a speedster who was playing for a quarterback (Hurts) who isn't the greatest passer. He was also surrounded by great receivers including Calvin Ridley, 3 freshman (1 you might remember), and others.  There are only so many chances.

Now, throw in the fact that although he does adapt and change with the times, Coach Saban, deep down, would rather unleash his running attack on opponents than pass.

I think that Foster will make the team. If nothing else, the kid will provide a deep threat.

Imo, this signing is something to be happy about.

I’ve seen a few games but didn’t key on the kid heavily or anything. My comment was a half joking brake tap for the “we may have found our guy.” He’s a long shot to make the roster, and the OP framed it like he’s a good shot to be #2. I’m not down on the kid but not over the moon either

benjamin

zay

kerley

Holmes

streeter

2 rookies they spent pucks on

ugh...  maybe not such a long shot... but he has work to do to pass at least 2-3 guys 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

Yes, he will certainly have to put forth a great deal of effort AND stay healthy.

And while I am not claiming that he is great, he did make some clutch receptions for the Tide and again, not a huge amount of chances.

I like the fact that Coach Daboll more than likely had some serious input; and, I think Bills Fans will like Coach Daboll as well. :)

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Kids looks very fluid in the drill from the combine. We can only hope he is a project that will progress. Saban like throwing the ball about as much as he likes talking with the media. I’m hopeful this kid just wasn’t given much opportunity.

Honestly ABF, I think he prefers passing over the media. :)

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, wppete said:
Strengths
  • Premium athlete
  • Flashes explosive ability that made him a coveted, five-star recruit
  • Has twitched-up feet
  • Able to stutter and burst past press coverage
  • Accelerator allows for early climb and separation on go routes
  • Routes are unrefined, but talent is there to get much better
  • Has moldable traits for position coach to work with
  • Threatening in open field
  • Able to shake initial tackle attempts with subtle lower body shift and keep his run pace elevated

@tannins

I'd suggest he see a podiatrist for the 3rd bullet on the list. It sounds uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, tannins said:
  • Short strider with longer torso
  • Production over four seasons was abysmal
  • Never came close to reaching athletic potential and struggled to find meaningful snaps until senior season
  • Drifts towards coverage out of route stems
  • Football instincts are below average
  • Converts on a low percentage of opportunities relative to his position
  • Gives away pattern breaks down the field allowing for easier coverage
  • Falters in his stack and track on deep throws
  • Fumbled three times on 37 touches over last two seasons

I am sure this is all correctable with a good coaching.

Obviously, he's a good athlete with nice measurables.  Just as obviously, he had a miserable college career.  Presumably some of that was injury related.  Some was opportunity related.  There was also an extent to which he just failed to play well enough in practice to earn playing time.  The Brian Daboll connection probably means something.  I can't imagine Daboll not having some input on whether or not he felt Foster would be a good signing.  I'm assuming he thought Foster would be.  I also suspect there was probably some conversation between Foster and Daboll, with Foster feeling out what kind of chance Daboll thought he might have of sticking in Buffalo.  I'm not expecting miracles, but I think Buffalo could have done worse.

• 3 months later...

He had great separation on Thursday and just missed on two huge plays, scorching veteran CBs. He caught one, but the ball drifted out of bounds and the other was just outside of his reach.

He lit it up in practice on Monday.

"On Monday, he pushed that aside to have his best day of training camp by a substantial margin. Foster was all over the place, making catch after catch during team drills..."

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-2018-buffalo-bills-training-camp-day-14

He has blazing speed and he knows how to get open. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

If he doesn't have an absolutely massive week, he will be cut by the following Sunday.

The fact that he couldn't track an easy deep ball in that last game is a big problem.

He caught a 60 yard bomb and another bomb was just out of his reach. What tracking problems are you talking about?

You saw Allen's first pass, right?

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/every-josh-allen-pass-preseason-week-1

Edited by Sky Diver